Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

98 Integra Maintenance question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Integra Maintenance question?

Hello everyone,

I just needed some input from you guys about Integra’s normal service. I just recently purchased my Integra gs with 93000 miles. I just hit the 100000 miles and was planning to the 90k service on it. The previous owner was not able to tell me what maintenance service was done on the car before. So need your help on what maintenance service I should do to make sure this car last me a long time.

I have read lots of forms and most people say to go with the Honda water pump instead of the AutoZone water pump. So even though Honda's stuff is twice as much, im going to go with that. Want to make sure this car lasts more than 200000 miles on me. Other than the items listed below, should there be anything else I need to do?

Timing belt (Oem)
Timing belt tensioner (Oem)
water pump(Oem)
Power Steering Belt (Oem)
Alternator Belt (Oem)
A/C Belt (Oem)
Spark plugs (already replaced at 95k)
Tranny oil (Just replaced at 100k)
Radiator flush
Spark plug wires (Any good affordable brand you guys can recommend?)
Distributor cap (Oem or no oem?)
rotor (Oem or no oem?)
Flush/ replace brake fluid
Fuel filter (non oem)

Also do I need to get the Distributor cap and rotor from Honda or can I just get those from an auto shop like AutoZone?

I have read it is also good to do a valve adjustment but do I really need one? What is the purpose to do one and how do I know I need one? Do I need any parts when I have a valve adjustment done?

Any additional info would be great. Thx alot.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Integra Maintenance question?

Thats a big list haha, but its always better to air on the side of safety with a used vehicle. Go with the Honda water pump, they're good quality and always guaranteed fit. As for plug wires just go with the NGK ones, they have a good OHM rating and theyre decently priced. You should get a Honda fuel filter too though, the fit is exact and its OEM so it's guaranteed to work 100% effectively with your engine. Also yeah, if your car is already in the shop and valve cover is off, get the valve adjustment done, its a yearly maintenance thing. After that many miles, I guarantee theyre out of spec, especially the exhaust side. Since the valve cover is off, the labor wont be much so it won't jump your price too high. Good luck
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd replace your valve cover gasket and your cam seals as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are these the NGK's your talking about?
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Is this metal round item in the pic a cam seal?
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/138...ndabseries.jpg
Should i get some aftermarket ones or just the stock dealer ones?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 98 Integra RS I bought used and now has 104K miles.

I replaced ignition wires also. The car was stuttering upon acceleration.

Also on the clutch pedal arm I replaced the plastic tabs that press against the clutch interlock switch. The old ones broke and fell to the carpet and the car wouldn't start.

A week later the plastic tab on the brake pedal arm that presses against the brake light switch broke and fell to the floor. The brake lights stayed on and drained the battery. If you find broken pieces of plastic on your carpet these are the problem.

They are not that easy to replace.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
I replaced ignition wires also. The car was stuttering upon acceleration.
When you say ignition wiring, you mean spark plug wires correct?

I notice that also from time to time. When i push down to accelerate it some times skips a beat and then goes. Did changing the wires fix your issue?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used many aftermarket timing belt kits (Gates, Continental, etc.) that have served me well. These kits usually include the belt, tensioner, water pump, VCG, etc. Definitely replace the front engine seals while the motor is torn down. On a b18b you'll need two cam seals and one crank seal. I usually get these seals from Honda.

I recommend a brake fluid and coolant service every 2 years. If its been a while on the coolant, I'll flush the system with a T-fitting in the radiator hose and some sort of water supply (garden hose). Otherwise, a drain and fill is sufficient.

On my personal vehicle I change the transmission fluid every 30k, but I recommend it for my customers every 60k.

As far as the tune-up stuff, I do mine every 45k, but I recommend for my customers every 60k. This includes plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter, MAF sensor cleaning... I like NGK plugs and wires. No need for OEM dizzy cap/rotor, fuel filter, etc...

The book calls for valve adjustments, retorque suspension, etc at certain service intervals.... its a good idea!

Hope that helps!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Guys,
I was thinking of buying these items below. Let me know if they are a decent brand and if the price are good also. thx

Vehicle: 1998 Acura Integra GS

Distributor Cap
incl. gasket
YEC W0133-1628924 $14.94 $14.94

Spark Plug Wire Set
A coil wire is not required for this application. The Bosch 09 811 wire set utilizes dielectrically superior 1-piece spark plug connectors. These "click-to-fit" connectors may look different but are less troublesome than the 3-piece plug connectors used in other wire sets. HE82 NGK
NGK W0133-1619531 $33.94 $33.94

Distributor Rotor
YEC W0133-1626971 $12.94 $12.94
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I was thinking of also replacing the pcv valve. I went to the car and i was not able to find it anywhere. Can some one show me a picture of where it is. I have seen some pics but still cannot find it. Help =(
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gemni69
Hey guys, I was thinking of also replacing the pcv valve. I went to the car and i was not able to find it anywhere. Can some one show me a picture of where it is. I have seen some pics but still cannot find it. Help =(
The PCV valve assembly is #7 in this diagram:

Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend also replacing the cooling system hoses. At a minimum, I would replace the two big ones (the upper #9 and the lower #10), and you might want to consider replacing all of them. The hoses can and do fail, so this is good preventive maintenance. And you'll save by doing it now, since you'll be flushing the coolant and getting good access since you're replacing the water pump.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thax for that pic. I cant believe it was right in front of me haha.. I checked it out and it looks somewhat new so im just going to leave it as is. Will keep in mind about those hoses. Thx.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gemni69
Thax for that pic. I cant believe it was right in front of me haha.. I checked it out and it looks somewhat new so im just going to leave it as is. Will keep in mind about those hoses. Thx.
Good call on the hoses. At least do upper/lower, it'll probably cost you ~20 bucks. OEM not necessary.

If you dont want to replace the pcv valve, at least pop it off and clean it... make sure its not clogged.