Fixing Up a Turd: A Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fixing Up a Turd: A Build Thread

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93

And lmao at your sig CandyRedRC46.
I almost changed it the other day when some *** hat was arguing with me and saying that he put a b series head on a d series block lol.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

curious, how much for the motor/tranny and headers?

You need some help removing things?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just read through the entire build, sad ending to you saving a riced out car.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks! All the years of work put in for that to happen.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, not the end I would have hoped for. But between selling parts and the insurance payout I've gotten about double what I could have sold the car for, and the 540 is a much better car to daily drive so it's hard to be too upset at this point.

As much of a pain as parting it out is, it's nice knowing that the parts are going to use instead of rotting away in a junk yard. The suspension went to a friends EG coupe. After giving them a good cleaning I sold the seats to a guy restoring an Integra Type R. Wheels went to a guy with a super clean black Integra who had a mismatched set with bad tires so it worked out well, trade + cash so my car can still roll around while I part it out. Then various odds and ends to other guys trying to build up their cars.

Kinda weird feeling sentimental about it but whatevs.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My journey with this car is officially over. I sold everything that was left (engine, transmission, brakes, shell, what was left of the interior) to a guy planning on using it as a drivetrain/parts donor for a super clean EG hatchback and signed over the title. The buyer is a master tech at a Honda dealership so I’m sure it will be put to good use.

Overall I was able to get about $6k for the car between the insurance check and parting it out, which isn’t bad considering I’d probably get $2500-$3000 selling it before the wreck. It’s a fraction of what I put in, but it was a huge learning experience and I never expected to make money on a project car. I came into this mess knowing literally nothing but how to change my brakes and oil and here we are.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow man, hate to see it end that way, and too bad I didn't see this thread sooner. I would have told you to seal up the top edge of your tail light lenses with silicone sealant, which is where I was getting some leaks from on my car. The water off the hatch would drip down over the tail lights, get in through the top of the red lenses, fill up the housing with water and then spill over into the trunk behind the rear trim panel. New tail light seals didn't do anything for me since the water was coming in from the outside lens.

oh well, time for the next project!
Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never really had issues with water actually in the tail lights, I just had it come in around them and the thicker weatherstripping from the auto parts worked great for that, I but I was still getting water in from other places, the entire back end of that car leaked like a colander. A bunch of the seam sealer had failed and I replaced a lot of it but I think I missed some, and I noticed shortly before the accident that the vent on the driver side rear was leaking around the edges but never got around to fixing it.

Yup, next project is fixing the blown head gasket(s) on the 540i I bought to replace it. Sticking to German tradition, it made it less than 6 months before problems appeared lol.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

It's been 13-14 years since I worked on my taillight leaks, but as I recall I made new gaskets but that didn't work, and later noticed water inside the housings. Then I took one of the tail lights, stripped it down of all wiring, filled my bathtub with water and then dunked the tail light in the water lens facing up. I saw lots of bubbles come out around the edges of the red lens, which meant that's where the water was coming in.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build thread man. Sorry to see her go like that!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't think I'd ever resurrect this thread, but somehow this car isn't dead yet. After I parted out almost everything of value, I sold the rolling shell/engine/transmission to a guy who pulled the drivetrain and rear disks out and put them in his EG hatch. After that I figured he junked it our gave it away or something but never heard anything further, until the current owner contacted me about title issues which we're trying to get resolved.

Anyways this guy got the car from the guy I sold it to, cut out the crumpled quarter panel and trunk panel, welded replacement panels in, and replaced the hatch which was also jacked up. Then he removed the radiator support since it was smashed too and installed a JDM R front end. He also sanded off all of my shitty body work and redid it properly. I need to see if he's okay with me posting pics, the chassis is in way better shape now than it ever was while I had it.

All I can say is godspeed you magnificent bastard, something about that car just inspires the unfortunate owner to keep on fixing it.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Yeah Tx doesn't allow double title transfers. The person you sold it to is suppose to transfer the title under his name. If he sold it and didn't do the title transfer the next guy is fucked. He was lucky you responded.