Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

I think it's gotten to me

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's gotten to me

So about two months ago I got my first car, a 1992 integra gs... 4 speed automatic. And I admit I regret buying it. I want to go fast, not looking to race but I just wanted more power, and an automatic is not what I thought. When I bought it I was naive and since then have learned a lot and wish I could go back and get a manual. I got the car at what I thought was a good deal, car had 130,000 miles, power everything and everything worked (except ac). And of course it was an auto. Which at first didn't bother me at all I was very happy with it. But since I've been working on it (some fixes and minor mods) I've realized that I can never do what I really want with the car. All the plans that I originally had are out of reach because there are just no significant power gains with the auto tranny. I've considered selling the car, posted it on my local Craigslist but no one wants an automatic. I've thought about converting it to 5 speed but it would cost me more than what I paid for the car. What I'm saying is that it's gotten to me. All the bashing about having an auto, people calling it a pos and just not being able to do what I want to it have lead me to hate myself for buying the car and have made me resent the car for what it is.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think it's gotten to me

Dude, a few things. First, take a deep breath. Sounds like you're young and overreacting to the situation. As someone who works on performance cars for a living, AND as someone who has done quite a few auto-to-manual swaps for customers I can tell you it isn't remotely out of the question.

You need a clutch pedal, cable, shift linkage, shifter, transmission, clutch, flyhweel, midshaft, rear t bracket, and 5 speed conversion mount to do the swap. Since you have a cable trans car, these parts tend to be significantly cheaper than a hydro trans car.

I've done hydro swaps for as low as $600 in parts. You can get a cable trans for quite cheap (I've picked them up used for $100 before).

Do some research and read some 5 speed swap guides.

If doing the swap is above your head and/you don't want to pay someone to do it but you're dead set on a 5 speed, sell it. Be prepared to negotiate. We rarely financially break even for what we spend in this hobby. Nature of the beast.

Lastly, dude you're young. Just drive the car and have fun. Who gives a **** about what someone told you. If you enjoy driving the car, that's what matters.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigmac88
Dude, a few things. First, take a deep breath. Sounds like you're young and overreacting to the situation. As someone who works on performance cars for a living, AND as someone who has done quite a few auto-to-manual swaps for customers I can tell you it isn't remotely out of the question.

You need a clutch pedal, cable, shift linkage, shifter, transmission, clutch, flyhweel, midshaft, rear t bracket, and 5 speed conversion mount to do the swap. Since you have a cable trans car, these parts tend to be significantly cheaper than a hydro trans car.

I've done hydro swaps for as low as $600 in parts. You can get a cable trans for quite cheap (I've picked them up used for $100 before).

If doing the swap is above your head and/you don't want to pay someone to do it but you're dead set on a 5 speed, sell it. Be prepared to negotiate. We rarely financially break even for what we spend in this hobby. Nature of the beast.

Lastly, dude you're young. Just drive the car and have fun. Who gives a **** about what someone told you. If you enjoy driving the car, that's what matters.
Best advise iv heard on here in a long time!

OP don't beat yourself up bro theres that old saying, theres a butt for every seat! craigslist is FULL of tire kickers, low ballers and scammers! you can have that car for sale there for $500 and someone will try and low ball you for it! place the car for sale here or on auto trader you will have much better luck selling it.

Or save up for a awhile and do the 5 speed conversion later down the road! just shop around and try and get the best price for everything.

Best bet just sell it take a small loss save a little and buy the model you really want!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna tell you like this. I was in your exact situation 3 years ago, but with a 97 LS 4spd slushbox. It was pitiful, I got made fun of, didnt even want to mod a automatic. And found myself depressed. Until, I sold it on craigslist.

It'll sell on craigslist, you just need to be patient. It took me atleast 4 months. I only dropped the price by $200. I even got offered a turbo eclipse gsx, so glad I passed what a pos.

From the looks of it you probably cant do the auto to manual yourself, and parts alone like said will cost 600. Labor will be pretty hefty, all said and done you would probably spend as much more than the whole car is worth.

Be patient, it will sell. As soon as that happens you will have the opportunity to buy a car equipped with a manual transmission.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a facebook group that is a "Honda/acura buy n sell" post it there, and on CL there must be a local forum too. As said we've all been there I wanted to sell my white integra(first car) and get a turbo'd car so bad, but it had to wait a good 1 1/2 years. Assuming you have a full time/summer job, save and be smart if you want a manual civic body there's tons of clean ones in the 1.5K range. Just drive it and be glad it isn't a sunfire or crapalier trust me so many of my friends had **** boxes as first cars I waslucky just to have mine.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bigmac88

That's exactly what I did. I went out and just had a nice drive and enjoyed every bit of it!

Thanks everyone for the advice, for now I will just enjoy the car for what it is, convenient, realible and easy to drive and in the future if I feel confident enough I will attempt the 5sp conversion. If not my next car will definitely be a manual. One things for sure though, it has to be another da9! Lol