Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

First post! Cluster/Climate lights not working...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 First post! Cluster/Climate lights not working...

EDIT: The other threads on this topic seem to be about instrument cluster + running lights not working. In my case, the running lights are in fact working!

Hello All,

This seems like an awesome community & this is my first post, just picked up a 2001 GSR - will be posting pics when I'm done cleaning her up a bit, she's getting some body work done next week...

In the meantime, I have a problem that is killing me, the instrument cluster and climate control illumination (lighting) is not working. The indicator lights themselves all work, both in the instrument cluster, and the climate control section (showing you which mode is selected). Here is what I have done so far:

-checked the fuse
-replaced the 3 illumination bulbs in the cluster
-checked the fuse again
-verified that the circuit is working (confirmed because I still get a chime when lights are left on and car is turned off, and also because I notice the clock go a little dimmer when I turn the lights on - night mode)

Now here's the deal - the previous owner installed a push button ignition, where the dimmer should be, and I suspect the problem is with the dimmer, but I just can't find it. I took off the trim pieces in and around the driver side dashboard (instrument cluster, knee panel) and I can't seem to find the dimmer that should have been tucked out of the way when the previous owner installed the push button ignition.

Any ideas of what else to look at? Previous owner says the instrument cluster lights went out on him one by one, which is why I figured it was a bulb problem, hence why I changed the bulbs. Is it possible that the connector isn't plugged all the way into the instrument cluster? Would that also knock out the lights in the climate control area? The instrument cluster works fine by the way, just the backlighting/illumination that doesn't work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by aleks777; 10-18-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: First post! Cluster/Climate lights not working...

Welcome,

Is there any light coming from the cluster when the lights are on?

He might have unpluged the dimmer switch and left the wire harness unplugged and tucked somewhere. Take out the entire cluster again and look on the right side where the dimmer is located, You should at least be able to find the wire plug, it should be two wires to a small plug. If the dimmer switch has been removed its prolly that and was set to low when removed and just needs to be plugged and turned up to the brightest setting.

Check for burnt fuses for the climate control. It could have been replaced and the harness for the lights on the back was not plugged in or its bulb is burnt.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update, still no dice, here's a quick summary of facts, history, and what I've tried:

Facts:

-Running lights (daylights in canada) do work just fine
-Instrument cluster, AC control backlights, do not work
-Insturment cluster itself works fine, reports RPM, gas, speed just fine
-All dome lights work (not sure if this is relevant)
-There is an engine start button installed in the location where the dimmer control would normally be located

History:

-Previous owner changed out the bulbs to make the cluster light up blue or something and he says they burnt out one by one
-Previous owner says they installed the engine start button without interfering with the dimmer control wiring behind the dash, but can't really remember

What I've attempted so far:

-checked and replaced all relevant fuses (in cabin, I don't think any of the fuses/relays under the hood are relevant here, feel free to suggest otherwise)
-replaced the lights on the cluster with these I bought off Amazon:
10 Pack T10 5SMD Cool White LED 194, 158, 168, 921, 912, 906 Also fits T5 Landscape lighting Stillookin007 Led Bulbs: Amazon.ca: Electronics 10 Pack T10 5SMD Cool White LED 194, 158, 168, 921, 912, 906 Also fits T5 Landscape lighting Stillookin007 Led Bulbs: Amazon.ca: Electronics

-attempted to locate the original dimmer switch wiring behind the dash but I can't seem to find it... I have a feeling the engine start button somehow integrated the dimmer switch
-bang my head against the dash
-what I will be doing today as a last ditch effort is opening up the instrument cluster in order to "reseat" the harness that plugs into the back of the cluster, just to make sure its fully connected and not loose
Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im guessing, he burned out the circut board on the cluster by using the wrong bulbs. Try another cluster? Other than that, I'd be going nuts if I didn't find where the wires for the dimmer control went...

Last edited by trm4life; 02-04-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: XD