Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

exactally how do ls/vtec's screw up

Old 07-01-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (romeo619romeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romeo619romeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm ls vtec was never ment to be... if that was the case hond would have made it already....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Love this comment.....in that case...don't add any aftermarket parts at all....cause if honda wanted it like that it would of made it like that....
Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostdd)

my personal opinion here. the ls/vtecs that failed that i have seen, all have been HIGH mileage motors, and people thinking "oh i have vtec now, who cares about mileage and rev the fucked out of it." the other it wasnt built right and its untuned. the ls.vtec i have seen that last a loong time are the ones are built up from the ground up with 0 miles to begin with. and built the right way&lt;what ever that is&gt;

Carlo
Old 07-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostdd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostdd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Love this comment.....in that case...don't add any aftermarket parts at all....cause if honda wanted it like that it would of made it like that....</TD></TR></TABLE>
because with every after market part you're adding things that a regular buyer would not need. A 90 year old granny doesnt want her civic to be loud w/ intake and exhaust. she doesnt need that... or want it .

the basic thing with the LS/VTEC debate and why honda didnt do it in the first place can be shot down by people who know what the hell they are doing. If you can run LS/V with 220hp and never have problems, thats what its all about. Not why honda didnt do it in the first place.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM
senior gold member

Default Re: exactally how do ls/vtec's screw up (skribblah)

everything modified breaks. people have revved to 8k with no probs and no arp bolts while others haven't been so lucky. I think most of the time that they go is because people rev them out higher then 8k. people have ran stock rods and lasted a long time.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:34 PM

I think its cause people dont take care of their engines, as far as maintenance....
Old 07-01-2003, 11:55 PM

Default Re: (smallttocs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smallttocs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
because with every after market part you're adding things that a regular buyer would not need. A 90 year old granny doesnt want her civic to be loud w/ intake and exhaust. she doesnt need that... or want it .

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well obviously if honda would make cars already modded i'm assuming they would make modded ones and unmodded ones to meet the needs of different cosumers....for example just like there is a simple v6 mustang and there is also the gt, roush, saleen, and cobra....
Old 07-02-2003, 08:11 AM

why would honda want to make ls/vtec? i mean, they already had gsr, type-r, it would have been pretty tough for them to market another 1.8 in a teg, civic, whatever.....plus they cant think of eveything...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (granada_sun)

wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run to just get a GSR block?
Old 07-02-2003, 09:46 AM

gsr has shorter r/s ratio than LS....guess LS crank could be swapped into it tho....
Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 AM

Default Re: exactally how do ls/vtec's screw up (arw321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arw321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think for a RELATIVELY safe LS/VTEC bottom end you need the following:

ARP Rod bolts
Shotpeened rods or new forged or billet rods.
BALANCED ROTATING ***'Y.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

remember the arp head bolts.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: exactally how do ls/vtec's screw up (yoshikatu)

yea the LS VTEC makes great power on a great budget no doubt. I think I remember reading this and engine guys correct me if I am wrong. the r/s yes...
but the piston speeds in the LS VTEC are incredibly high. if I were to think of a weakness of this over time is this: thrust side ring/piston wear and ovalized cyilinder sleeves resulting in eventual loss of compression and needing a rebuild.
they can be built reliably however with the right attention to detail.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:10 AM

I thought longer r/s ratios meant slower piston speeds......
Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 AM

read the last line of my signature!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (shadyCTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadyCTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read the last line of my signature!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

let me guess.....if honda wanted ls/vtec, why didn't they do it???
Old 07-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, actually... the stroke is one of the things that determines the piston speed... I dont know the rates at which it will change... however Im pretty sure if you increase the stroke the piston speeds will increase at the same RPM.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:16 PM

you could be right, now that i think about it...same rpm, longer stroke, the farther from the center of the crank the rods are, the faster they are being rotated, thus traveling in the chamber quicker.....whoops.....
Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 PM
senior gold member

Default Re: (shadyCTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadyCTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read the last line of my signature!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>also if honda ever intended their motors to have bigger cams and higher compression they would have done it also If you're worried about reliability go use a stock motor.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (ajchen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ajchen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a poor line of reasoning that pops up all over honda-tech.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the reason i say that is becuz.. ive had a h23 vtec.... it was nice "while it lasted".. ive messed with many ls vtecs...boring out dowel sockets for the pins so you can line the head up its not worth the trouble...i mean lets get real, its a "HONDA" it will always lack the torque it needs, i mean dotn get me wrong toque is nice.. but the frankenstein motors never last .. ever over a manufatured motor... honda has thousands of people workin on there motors and they concluded.. "we cant make much torque with out sacrificing practicallity..thats why they actually accepted that.. and built a v6 platform for the heavier car
Old 07-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with all that in mind, I am looking forward to seeing what people
can do with the K24. 200/160 from the factory at 7200rpm...
these motors dont seem to have the TQ problem as much
as the Bseries... H series is good for tq also... some of those
tuned RSX S motors are starting to get insane... 285/190whp/tq
from hytech... I think the shelf parts/tuned counter part was in the
high 250s with 160s tq... just not as readily available yet... $$$
keeping with this model, Im thinking with the right tuning and
cam/piston/ecu/I/H/E/IM/fasteners combination the K24 could very
well be a 350whp car with 200+ ft lbs of tq at the wheels... NA
dare I say it...
Old 07-04-2003, 01:19 PM
senior gold member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romeo619romeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well the reason i say that is becuz.. ive had a h23 vtec.... it was nice "while it lasted".. ive messed with many ls vtecs...boring out dowel sockets for the pins so you can line the head up its not worth the trouble...i mean lets get real, its a "HONDA" it will always lack the torque it needs, i mean dotn get me wrong toque is nice.. but the frankenstein motors never last .. ever over a manufatured motor... honda has thousands of people workin on there motors and they concluded.. "we cant make much torque with out sacrificing practicallity..thats why they actually accepted that.. and built a v6 platform for the heavier car</TD></TR></TABLE>yes but with any motor you build, who says it will last? if you want an lsvtec motor to last, use forged internals. Many people have had them last while others aren't so lucky. like anything, if its not stock, don't expect it to last forever.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (Ivan)

cheap, reliable, fast...pick two

running mild boost like 7-8lbs would probably be more reliable than a cheaply built ls/vtec
Old 07-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since no one has answered yet, I believe he is talking about the Golden Eagle LS/VTEC oil filter adapter. It connects in between the oil filter and the block and gives oil lines to feed the conversion. It can also be used to oil a turbo (Instead of tapping into the oil pan).
Old 07-05-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Re: (FourDoorTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FourDoorTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since no one has answered yet, I believe he is talking about the Golden Eagle LS/VTEC oil filter adapter. It connects in between the oil filter and the block and gives oil lines to feed the conversion. It can also be used to oil a turbo (Instead of tapping into the oil pan).</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont really understand how people say that can replace having oil squirters in the block.....
Old 07-05-2003, 07:53 AM

to get the topic back on focus, im asking if anyone that has or has a friend that has an LS/vtec and it has screwed up, exactally what went wrong?so far this is what i have heard:

1) fuel pump - not enough fuel causing pinging then failure (waffles hehe)
2)ls rod bolts - streach like bubble gum
3)if you mill the head or deck the block, and dont machene the dowels to the same amount, you will have headgasget leaks

Old 07-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by granada_sun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and why wouldnt forged pistons need oil squirters any less than regular pistons?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Forged pistons require less cooling then cast pistons because they dissipate heat more evenly and do not get "hot spots" like cast pistons which can cause piston failure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exactally how do ls/vtec's screw up