Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Evap solenoid questions for GSR swap in a DA

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap solenoid questions for GSR swap in a DA

Hey everyone, so I'm in the middle of swapping a 99 GSR motor into my 91 DA, converting to OBD1. I'll be making the emissions equipment as close to factory as I can.

First off, I don't have the harness side plug for the evap solenoid on top of the manifold. Could someone please tell me the colors for the 2 wires from that plug. Like if you're looking at the engine from the front, what color is the left and what color is on the right.

Second, I have both charcoal canisters available. Which one is the best to use?

We know 1 outlet goes to the gas tank so we won't talk about that. On the DA canister, 1 hose goes to the purge solenoid on the firewall while the larger one goes to the throttle body.

On the GSR canister, 1 hose just goes up to the evap solenoid on the manifold. What's left on the GSR canister is a plug and another outlet that doesn't go to the engine, looks like it's for purging.

If I was to use the DA canister, I assume I would either need to plug one of the nipples or tap it into a vacuum source somewhere.

If I was to use the GSR canister the only question would be - do I need to do anything with that connector/purge looking thing or is it fine to just leave it?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Evap solenoid questions for GSR swap in a DA

so you're going to use a obd1 p72 ecu? if that's the case you should be able to look up the pin out and connect to the evap solenoid. i would use the GSR canister and run it to a vacuum port.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm using the obd1 P72. For the wires to the evap solenoid, I should just be able to extend the ones on my DA harness that went to the solenoid on the firewall so they reach the manifold. The problem is I need to know what color wire goes to which side of the plug since I don't have the harness side of the plug. The DA plug is different.

So if I use the gsr canister and run the hose to the evap solenoid on top of the manifold, and extend my existing wires to it, will there be any problems if the valve on top of the canister isn't plugged in?

That valve on top of the canister is listed as "control canister vent shut valve"
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is to get on the phone with someone who has an obd1 GSR or find a local one to eyeball. it would clear up all your problems.