Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra?

What is the location of the VIN number on the engine and transmission of the integra?

My friend is looking on a 96 LS integra. The guy said that he changed the engine and transmission when I bought the car, because the previous engine was smoking like crazy.

He put in a B18b1 engine in it, with a Hydro transmission (is this any different from normal transmisson?) with a Center Forcse stage 2 clutch.
He claims the engine has ~65,000 miles on it.
This is what I am trying to get verified. I asked him to give me the VIN# from the engine and transmission, but he says he dont know where it is. He then immediately gave me a number say he saw it on the tranny.
S802016595
Does this number look real? What does it mean?
How can I find the VIN number on the tranny or engine so I can look it up on carfax?
He claim he imports his engines from Japan. Then he said that he got it from his friend's civic, because he just put a H22a engine in it. Then I ask him for a reciept or something from teh engine change, then he tells me that he cant give out that information, because then I would have contact with his 'link' in Japan, and I would be able to get the engines cheap as well. Then he went on to say that he has no reason to sell me a car with a stolen engine, because a 'new' engine from Japan cost the same as a stolen engine (i wonder how he knows this) so he has no reason to sell me a stolen engine.

He claimed that the car has about ~170k miles on it, but when I checked carfax, it said it had 182k miles last year may.

The asking price for the car is $3,990.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (profroopchan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profroopchan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the location of the VIN number on the engine and transmission of the integra?

My friend is looking on a 96 LS integra. The guy said that he changed the engine and transmission when I bought the car, because the previous engine was smoking like crazy.

He put in a B18b1 engine in it, with a Hydro transmission (is this any different from normal transmisson?) with a Center Forcse stage 2 clutch.
He claims the engine has ~65,000 miles on it.
This is what I am trying to get verified. I asked him to give me the VIN# from the engine and transmission, but he says he dont know where it is. He then immediately gave me a number say he saw it on the tranny.
S802016595
Does this number look real? What does it mean?
How can I find the VIN number on the tranny or engine so I can look it up on carfax?
He claim he imports his engines from Japan. Then he said that he got it from his friend's civic, because he just put a H22a engine in it. Then I ask him for a reciept or something from teh engine change, then he tells me that he cant give out that information, because then I would have contact with his 'link' in Japan, and I would be able to get the engines cheap as well. Then he went on to say that he has no reason to sell me a car with a stolen engine, because a 'new' engine from Japan cost the same as a stolen engine (i wonder how he knows this) so he has no reason to sell me a stolen engine.

He claimed that the car has about ~170k miles on it, but when I checked carfax, it said it had 182k miles last year may.

The asking price for the car is $3,990.

What do you guys think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, first: location of tranny serial should be on the side where it meets the block. that number signifies an s8 tranny, the rest is the serial number. it's probably what you're looking for. the block number will be right next to that where it says 'b18b1' which is the engine code.

now, i'd be careful, considering he did a 'swap' that's the same motor that came in the car. he may just be trying to jew you, but you can never be sure.
also, the 94+ integras had hydro trannies.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (profroopchan)

its a scam don t buy it, no paper work forget it....
if u end up with stolen goods you are toast....
Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (projectac)

"S802016595"

major scam... the vin number would have dc2 in it. if there is no vin number... it's a stolen engine. no other reason it wouldn't be there... they don't just fall off. they're screwed on to the block.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (projectac)

Make sure you run the VIN #, I have a feeling that he is trying to sell you a hot engine. His story keeps changes, it sounds dirty to me...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (ejmatzell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejmatzell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"S802016595"

major scam... the vin number would have dc2 in it. if there is no vin number... it's a stolen engine. no other reason it wouldn't be there... they don't just fall off. they're screwed on to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, actually that is the serial of the tranny not the vin# hence no "dc2". Anyway, I agree, if he can't provide hard evidence of this being a clean motor, then keep looking.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (Drian)

That one guy, who is trying to sell the tranny knows damn well, what he is trying to do. He is trying to play it off like he doesn't know where Vin # is, so that people that are trying to buy the tranny are like oh O.K. Then they get f**ked when the pandas pull them over! Don't buy it, tranny's aren't that hard to find. Besides why do you what an LS tranny. Get a GSR or ITR, then swap it into your LS tranny shell, that way if the pandas ever pull you over and check they will think have your stock tranny;but you really don't...GL!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (jdm_bones)

Check if its stolen, then do the right thing and report him asap.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (jdm_bones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_bones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That one guy, who is trying to sell the tranny knows damn well, what he is trying to do.!</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is trying to sell the whole car, claiming that he put in a new (different) engine and tranny.

Modified by profroopchan at 8:31 PM 4/30/2006
Old 04-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a scam don t buy it, no paper work forget it....
if u end up with stolen goods you are toast....</TD></TR></TABLE>

it definatly sounds like a hot motor.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think he was misusing the term 'vin'

VIN = vehicle identification number

He's looking for the ID of the block and tranny...

i think it's just a miscommunication. if you're looking for a vin then that's different
Old 04-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Black Widow g2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black Widow g2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think he was misusing the term 'vin'

VIN = vehicle identification number

He's looking for the ID of the block and tranny...

i think it's just a miscommunication. if you're looking for a vin then that's different</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know. On one hand, he seems somewhat knowledgeable abotu cars, because He said he was in the process of changing the valve cover to a Red one, but yet, it seem like his stories are not adding up. I will just have to check it out myself and see whats going on I guess.
I ask him, well, how can I know that its a newer motor in it, with less mileage, he telling me that I can just look on the motor and tell that its newer....All you have to do is wash your engine to make it look brand new again. He trying to give me stories.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (profroopchan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profroopchan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont know. On one hand, he seems somewhat knowledgeable abotu cars, because He said he was in the process of changing the valve cover to a Red one, but yet, it seem like his stories are not adding up. I will just have to check it out myself and see whats going on I guess.
I ask him, well, how can I know that its a newer motor in it, with less mileage, he telling me that I can just look on the motor and tell that its newer....All you have to do is wash your engine to make it look brand new again. He trying to give me stories. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its not hard to change out the valve cover. a few bolts, and then put some hondabond here and there. and just cause the motor looks clean, doesnt mean its new. i still say "no papers, no go"
Old 04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The_Ricky_Is)

I was looking in my 94 Accord engine awhile ago, but I couldnt find a VIN number. I saw a serial number below the engine model of f22b, and I saw another number a little above, but I couldnt find any VIN number on the engine.

I agree, I am not going to buy this car unless I can find a VIN number on the engine, because I need to know the milage on the engine before if I am going to buy it.
Anyone know where to look for the VIN number on the integra engine? where would the VIN number badge be located? a diagram would be great.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no VIN on the engine.

the vin is on the top of the dash... should be visible from the outside of the car. it's also on the door sticker as well sometimes.

what you're looking for is a block number, but there's not a way i know of to check if it's stolen...

under the block code 'b18c1' or whatever is under there, should be a few numbers. that's the serial code of the motor.

if you're looking to carfax it, you need that VIN from the dash like this one here.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Black Widow g2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black Widow g2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no VIN on the engine.

the vin is on the top of the dash... should be visible from the outside of the car. it's also on the door sticker as well sometimes.

what you're looking for is a block number, but there's not a way i know of to check if it's stolen...

under the block code 'b18c1' or whatever is under there, should be a few numbers. that's the serial code of the motor.

if you're looking to carfax it, you need that VIN from the dash like this one here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

umm no there is also a vin stamped on the engine block along with a million other places, not just the dash.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profroopchan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking in my 94 Accord engine awhile ago, but I couldnt find a VIN number. I saw a serial number below the engine model of f22b, and I saw another number a little above, but I couldnt find any VIN number on the engine.

I agree, I am not going to buy this car unless I can find a VIN number on the engine, because I need to know the milage on the engine before if I am going to buy it.
Anyone know where to look for the VIN number on the integra engine? where would the VIN number badge be located? a diagram would be great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy keeps giving you the runaround and already seems shady, so why are you still trying to find out about the motor and stuff? I wouldn't even touch the car now.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLacK FirE)

Dont do it. I kno your probably excited to get a nice teg, but its not worth it. We all make mistakes, I kno I did. Im going through one right now. Bought a car like that, then every day something went wrong. No joke my friends and I couldnt believe it. First the reverse gave out three days after I got the car, then the injectors were dumping gas all over the motor. I was sick as hell the next day no joke. Cuz all the fumes were coming in and I was breathing it. Then the grounding wires went through, then the water pump blades broke. Had to take apart the motor to fix. Then the big finally. The piston rings blew. Now the car sits peacefully in the garage
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Do our Gen 3 integras have VIN number stickers on every panel like toyotas and other cars? I only see one on the firewall and one or two other places.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (waterp7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waterp7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do our Gen 3 integras have VIN number stickers on every panel like toyotas and other cars? I only see one on the firewall and one or two other places.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I believe 94-95 integras will not have as many VIN stickers/stampings. However, in 1996, they started putting the VIN on the engine and all over the damn place (door jamb, rear hatch, etc). You can look at the Helms for your specific year to figure out where the locations are supposed to be. My 2nd gen has one on the firewall, and one on the dash. The 94-95 is the same way, as you can see in this link to the 94 service manual:
http://www.redpepperracing.com....html

As for the OP's problem, it seems like it's a 96 LS, but he put an older motor in (94-95) when doing the swap, therefore there is no VIN on it. The motor he swapped out did have a VIN on it though. You would be able to see where a VIN is scratched out or plate removed if it was stolen, so I am betting it is an older b18b, before the VIN got put on the motor. Which could be bad, I think VA requires swaps to be from the same year car or newer from when I lived there, but most places probably don't give a damn, so you could pass smog and get it registered.

The transmission serial number does look real, S80 tranny with a serial number starting with 2 makes sense to me. Maybe you can try to track down if it's a stolen tranny by asking the police or finding out what car it came from through Honda.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Did you or your friend drive this car? If it drives ok then just buy the damn thing. If not, then don't and move on. It's not uncommon for people to have motors replaced, and unless it's done by a dealer, chances are there wont be any paperwork to verify the source of the motor. If you are still not sure what to do, take the car to a mechanic and have it inspected and have them check on the quality of the work in the swap. This whole chase to tracking down serial numbers is just going to be a big waste of time. You're not a cop so there's no need to play detective here. If you feel uneasy about the deal, just walk away. Personally, I think the guy is asking too much for the car. Offer him 2900.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine and Tranny VIN # location? Is this a good deal on a integra? (Tim2179)

The guy WAS trying to scam me. he took me for a complete idiot. When I went to look on the car, he telling me that you can see that someone (else) changed he engine, because it is not dirty. lol.
He was just a complete idiot. I am sorry for whoever buys that car.
Well, thanks for the input.
I got a 1993 Prelude Si
I still need to find a car for my best friend though.