Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Electrical guru needed. Current draw issue from Automatic seat belt control unit?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical guru needed. Current draw issue from Automatic seat belt control unit?

Meter set to 10a DC.
My draw on the Battery is 0.39. As I pulled the 7.5a under hood fuse, the draw went to 0.02. I didn't want to leave that fuse out because it controlled other things, so I put it back in. One of 7.5a fuse controls is the "automatic seat belt control unit". So I diognosed that first. I unplugged the connectors from the unit- checked the draw- and it read "0.02. Control unit perhaps?

Swapped it with "two" junkyard control units. Both still had a 0.39 draw.

Installed the original control unit and unplugged the passenger seat belt connector solenoid under the seat- drain test 0.22

With that still disconnected, I also disconnected the drivers seat belt connector solenoid- drain test- 0.04 to 0.05. Is it the seat belt solonoid? or the control unit?

My seat belts work fine but once in a blue moon the belt retractor locks while the belt on the track is trying to go back.

I know theres a lifetime warranty on the seat belts but I'd like to diognose this one myself before a get a free replacement.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical guru needed. Current draw issue from Automatic seat belt control unit?

UPDATE:

I feel defeated. Weary. Narrowed it down to the seat belt solenoids thinking 99 percent sure it was them that was giving exsessive current draw.... it wasn't. I did a free swap at the junkyards and both of them still gave a 0.39 parasitic draw. I'm stumped.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Electrical guru needed. Current draw issue from Automatic seat belt control unit?

use a test light til u find something thats drawing power..it can take a while but..it works
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LSracing94
use a test light til u find something thats drawing power..it can take a while but..it works
These seat belt solenoid retractors are the only ones giving me a excessive draw. I already pulled out fuses one by one. When I pulled out both drivers and passengers connectors, the current on battery went to an acceptable reading of 0.02. Plugged it back in- checked the reading - back to excessive draw of 0.39 Thats enough to drain battery in one to two days.

Anybody else?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a relay switch for the seatbelt solenoids that is broken?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a relay switch for the seatbelt solenoids that is broken?
According to the acura manual diagram, its appears that the relay switch is built inside both drivers and passengers seat belt retractor solenoid.

btw/fyi- These "seatbelt retractor solenoids" are the ones that are bolted on the drivers and passengers seats. Near the e- brake. There bulky suckers. I have a 91 acura integra.

anybody?

Last edited by 91akira; 04-02-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump/ absolutley no electrical guys in here?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im stumped
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im stumped
That's not surprising.

OP - it is possible the current draw is normal. If I remember right the solenoids in the shoulder belt portion are under constant power due to the lockers for making the seat belt tight and not droop all over the place. When the tensioner draw them in and locks, it still maintains that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the seat belt buckles for the lap belt also a part of the shoulder belt unit?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for responding.

But the current draw shouldn't be an excessive 0.39a. I know its coming from the seat belt system, because when I disabled or unplugged the connectors from the control unit, the draw went down to 0.02. which is good and I can start up the car after a two to three day sit.

Read the first post above it shows what steps I took to realize this.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MoonScryer
That's not surprising.

OP - it is possible the current draw is normal. If I remember right the solenoids in the shoulder belt portion are under constant power due to the lockers for making the seat belt tight and not droop all over the place. When the tensioner draw them in and locks, it still maintains that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the seat belt buckles for the lap belt also a part of the shoulder belt unit?
i've contributed alot to this website through the years, why would you sit there and try to belittle me? probably because you an unconfident person yourself and youre trying to make yourself feel better
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

last bump.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe this will help
Here it is with the book open as is. I already swapped the following with known good ones:

Both seat belt retractors
Control unit

Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think it can be the door latch switch? I'm getting close.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all the grounding wires in your diagram, something is making it stay open, when the seatbelt is buckled up, does it show the same on the cluster?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91akira
Do you think it can be the door latch switch? I'm getting close.
This can also be the issue, are you having issues with your alarm, or the center map light? Remove them the door latch sensors and clean all oxidation from the contact areas, with some fine sand paper, then add some white lithium lube, and see what that does for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_bones
This can also be the issue, are you having issues with your alarm, or the center map light? Remove them the door latch sensors and clean all oxidation from the contact areas, with some fine sand paper, then add some white lithium lube, and see what that does for you.
I cleaned it out. sanded it too, still giving out excess current on batt.

Battery is new. Red optima.

What you think of the door latch assembly on the door itself? Is there a switch on that? I'm aiming towards this thing. But I could be wrong. what you think?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Trial User

had same problem never found the problem but made a solution the plug inside th seatbealt unit has four wires two of dem are for the beeping noise to go off wen shutting the door now the other 2 are the ones det were making my batt ho low so juzt cut dem off and it solve my problem
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure where else to go and I apologize for reviving this old thread. However, the most recent post was only a month ago so I have something to add to this. I am tracing a parasitic draw in my 1990 Civic. I took the advice from the community and hooked up a multimeter set to 200mA (starting at 10A and working my way down to the 200mA range.) When I bought this Civic, it seemed to be pretty solid. However, after sitting after a few days, it wouldn't start. I traced that back to a weak battery and with a full battery, the car would start right up. After a few more days, my battery would drain again. I discovered the idea of a parasitic draw and I seem to have found a circuit that has a rather big draw.

The multimeter, when set on 200mA and attached inline between the negative on the battery terminal and the ground wire, shows 191mA. When I pull the fuse in question, the draw reduces to 18mA. From what I've read, 18mA should be acceptable, but 191mA is *not*. I have a video of this here: Honda Civic Parasitic Draw and you can actually see the fuse in question because it's on the positive terminal of the battery. The fuse in question is rated at 30A.

Other posts have said this is the automatic seat belt circuit but before I go tearing my car apart, I was wondering if someone could verify this for sure. My next step is to see if the seatbelts work when this fuse is removed but I wanted to document this here in case it would help others or in case someone had something to add that would save me a few hours of investigation because I'm finding daylight hours to be few and far between lately. I don't have the luxury of having a garage/work space, just street.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 90 DA my bout seatbelts stop working I check the ground coming from under hood fuse box to the seatbelts control unit and receive ground but from unit don't send ground to the seatbelts and the light its on ???
​​​​​​​any help its that's electric problem