Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

DRL and Foglight Wiring Diagram Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRL and Foglight Wiring Diagram Help

Hey guys...Im in the process of hooking up my fog lights and high beams together with a toggle switch. Wiring the high beams in series to drop the voltage to 50% percent so that I can use them as DRL's.

I made a simple wiring diagram but need you guys help to see if Im in the right direction. Here's a couple of questions that I have

Should I add another relay?
Are the fuse ratings right?
Is the diagram right?
What gauge wire should I use and where?

Im using the under-dash fuse box for the power sources.

https://honda-tech.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1354332005

Let me know you guy's opinions and suggestions. Thanks

Here's the diagram I made

https://honda-tech.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1354332005
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DRL and Foglight Wiring Diagram Help

139 views and nobody knows anything about electrical?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MM&Y of car would help.

Running the high beams in series will not "drop the voltage to 50%".

Without knowing the MM&Y of car and if you are using stock lights there is no way to know if your fusing is right.

Again, without knowing what lights, there is no way to know what gauge wiring to use.

Questions...

Does your car not have DRLs?

What are the rules about DRLs in Puerto Rico?
Do you have to have them?
If so, do they not need to turn on with the ign., not a switch?

Need more info on the car and the lights you are using. 94

Last edited by fcm; 12-01-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have a question and since its related I just thought I can ask here.

I have a 1992 acura integra rs and my inner foglights dont turn on anymore. I was able to push on and off the foglight switch so it can be on/off with regular headlights but its now only illuminating that its on. Im guessing the previous owner did the rear defroster to foglight switch thing because the rear defroster doesnt work. Idk if that make sense but if anyone can help pm me!

I also have H.I.Ds. After putting those on I was still able to turn on/off my fogs with the switch.

Idk if this may be the problem but Sometimes I would click my highbeams and it would be my regular highbeams as iff I didnt have hids. When I do that, my fogs arent on but when I switch back to my hids everthing is normal. I only do this around cops so they wont look at me cuz of the hids.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The fog lights have their own fuse, [power to fog light relay] fuse 19 -15A, [hot at all times] in under dash fuse box.

The fog light switch supplies power to trigger the fog light relay and turn on the fog light indicator in the switch, that power comes from the left head light low beam fuse, [stock] fuse 4 -10A, [hot when low beams on] in under dash fuse box.

It was done that way so fog lights could only be used when head lights are on, but only when it was the low beams, [the only time fog lights would be effective.

The most common fog light "rewire" is to disconnect the fog light switch power input leads from the low beam fuse and connect it to the read window defog switch power input lead, an ign. switched power lead, [hot when ign. switch is on] so fogs can be turned on anytime the ign. switch is on, [even if head lights are not on].

So the question is what kind of HIDs do you have are they the solenoid type for both high and low beam?

I am confused, as you said, "Sometimes I would click my highbeams and it would be my regular highbeams as iff I didnt have hids. When I do that, my fogs arent on but when I switch back to my hids everthing is normal" what are you "clicking" the high/low beam dimmer switch?

The G2 use a single duel filament bulb for both high and low beam and HIDs are single filament bulbs using a solenoid to move the bulb in and out for high and low beam, or do you have HIDs without solenoids and all you are doing is switching the HIDs on and off with the dimmer switch, that would account for the fogs only working in on of the dimmer positions, [low beam] and the HIDs only working in one position, [high or low beam position depending on how they are wired.

BTW, you should have started your own tread, as this one is not really related. 94
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In North America, DRL's only came on Canadian Hondas (at least up until the last few years). And maybe saying that wiring the lights in series would lower the voltage by 50% is over simplifying the statement, but wiring them in series would reduce the light output of the bulbs by approximately 50%, so I get what the OP trying to do.

I was going to do something similar to this when I was working on my HID retrofit on my US front end but ended up going with a JDM front end. I did come up with a pretty good schematic for it although it did employ the use of multiple relays and is floating somewhere in my old files. The multiple relays were needed because I still wanted my high beams to work as high beams and not just auxiliary lights. The schematic you drew will not allow you to use high beams as high beams. That should be a problem for you.

But yes, back to the basics: MM&Y and I'll see if I can find my old schematic.