Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

!!!! dont do what i did and order a tranny from a DEALER !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!! dont do what i did and order a tranny from a DEALER !!!!

i got fucked by the Acura store at baranco

ok so i have a 94 gsr
i just bought a brand new itr tranny from LEN at baranco acura
i had a shop install it right in front of me so i could keep my warranty( so if i did have problems acura couldnt say i messed up with installing it)
the shop did a 100% ok job installing it
i use honda MTF so i could still have my warranty

at about 1k miles i had a 2nd gear grind when down shifting without double clutching

then the 2nd gear grind stopped for about 2 days

then i was alittle late for class one day and i got on the car and shifted at higher rpms into 3rd gear ( i was at the top of 2nd)
3rd gear grinds . . . pretty bad and i had my clutch all the way down to the floor
my clutch has about 10k miles on it and isnt warn at all ( i took a look at it while the tranny was out)
i have a new master cylinder and new slave cylinder in the car
i have full fluids

and now im hearing that ACURA WILL NOT warranty my 2000 mile tranny that i just spend a **** load of money on and did everything i could possiblely do right

i need some help/ info please guys

thanks

JAY

p.s. 3rd gear grinds every time at anything higher then 4k rpms . . even with the clutch to the floor. . . if i double clutch it will not scratch . . but i just spend alot of money to have the BEST b-series tranny out and now i am having problems at only 2000 miles on the tranny

and i did break it in softly and smoothly

i deff got fucked by the Acura store at baranco

they will not warrenty grinds or labor in anyway . . . do your self a favor and save a good 600 or more $$ and buy a used jdm or usdm ITR tranny, i sure as hell wished i did now . . .
Old 05-27-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this problem before. It didn't originate in the tranny. We determined that a bad pilot bearing caused a vibration on the input shaft and destroyed the tranny. And it was a tranny with only about 1500 miles on it. You don't even want to know how bad the clutch was when we pulled it off.

To sum it up, the dealer is correct in not replacing your tranny for a problem that didn't originate in the tranny.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

brand new clutch , brand new pilot bearing , its the tranny . . . the synchros are what is making the gears grind , if i double clutch it even at red line it DOES NOT grind . . .
Old 05-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To sum it up, the dealer is correct in not replacing your tranny for a problem that didn't originate in the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the problem originated when i got this tranny . . . so if everythign else was replaced at the same time with brand new stuff and it was installed at a shop 100% done right how could it NOT be the tranny ?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (jason bouchard)

I have nothing but great things to say about Len at Baranco Acura. He's always had great prices and super customer service. He's also given me free parts.

In general, most dealerships wont warranty a product that isn't installed at their own facility. The reason is that they can be assured that the work is done properly. Sure, your install guy may have done it right, but the dealership doesn't know that.

I don't think that you can fault Len for this problem.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jason bouchard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my clutch has about 10k miles on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jason bouchard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">brand new clutch , brand new pilot bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make up your mind, please.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jason bouchard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the tranny . . . the synchros are what is making the gears grind , if i double clutch it even at red line it DOES NOT grind . . . </TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said that it was the pilot bearing that was making the noise. It's the pilot bearing that caused a vibration in the input shaft which caused severe premature wear on the synchros. Exact same problem we had, down to the last detail. Also note that it's extremely easy to put unnecessary pressure on a pilot bearing during the removal of a tranny.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Big Poppa Pump

It was purchased from them, it was installed by them....they should warranty it no questions asked plain and simple. If you continue to have problems with the dealership a good course of action would be small claims court and call to Acura headquarters to explain your problem. Good Luck
Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!! dont do what i did and order a tranny from a DEALER !!!! (jason bouchard)

send a friend in there and have them ask what their parts and labor warrenty is. If you had it installed at a shop outside the dealer I would say you may be screwed.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (Big Poppa Pump)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Poppa Pump &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was purchased from them, it was installed by them....they should warranty it no questions asked plain and simple. If you continue to have problems with the dealership a good course of action would be small claims court and call to Acura headquarters to explain your problem. Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

It wasn't installed by Baranco Acura, so that's why I don't see why they're liable.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timmy8151)

no they said that any shop can install it as long as they are a REAL shop and i have a receipt from them , i just coudlnt install it my self . . having a shop install my tranny def didnt void the warranty because i checked ahead of time and if that was the case i would have brought it to my dealer and paid for them to install it ( which would have cost prob 400$ more)

I CROSSED ALL Ts and DOTTED all Is with these people and double checked everything, but now acura is bending me over after they got my money . . . shaddy as **** and not returning phone calls and telling me diff stories every time im on the phone . . . im about to take a trip . . . .

Modified by jason bouchard at 10:24 PM 5/27/2004
Old 05-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. its not lens fault. he just works there.

2. why not take the trans apart and see what the problem is. unless your superman then you cant see through the housing. it could be something else and your blaming the transmission.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Big Poppa Pump

Default Re: (jdmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. its not lens fault. he just works there.

2. why not take the trans apart and see what the problem is. unless your superman then you cant see through the housing. it could be something else and your blaming the transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No its not Lens fault the the tranny went bad but it is his problem to resolve. Im not sure who this Len guy is but if he is the in charge of the parts dept then more then likely he is in charge of warranty items. If these people do not honor there warranty Jason should take them to small claims court , and from past experience Jason should win.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Big Poppa Pump)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Poppa Pump &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No its not Lens fault the the tranny went bad but it is his problem to resolve. Im not sure who this Len guy is but if he is the in charge of the parts dept then more then likely he is in charge of warranty items. If these people do not honor there warranty Jason should take them to small claims court , and from past experience Jason should win.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. its not lens fault. he just works there.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

len told me this would be covered 100% before i bought it , if i thought it wasnt gonna be covered i woudl have never bought it from him, imo its false information and i am VERY PISSED ABOUT IT
Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Make up your mind, please.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the car has new everything left of the flywheel . . the flywheel was resurfaced and new everything else including mew master cyclinder and new slave cyclinder

the post was form a while back and i had a friend type it up and post it when i wasnt home, he must have misunderstood me and when i posted it today i didnt read through it well enough. . . good job at catching that . . .
Old 05-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2. why not take the trans apart and see what the problem is. unless your superman then you cant see through the housing. it could be something else and your blaming the transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i open it up or take it out i MAY not have a warranty anymore , they ( acura and len) cant even tell me for sure if that will void the warranty, thats shady and i dont trust it . . .
Old 05-27-2004, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I don't blame you for being pissed. You did everything so your tranny would be under warrenty.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5spdIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aruca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

um, wtf kind of response is that? post whoring ****.

anyway, if you have all the paperwork saying they should cover warranty and you followed everything through correctly, why haven't you gone through small claims yet???? seems like you've done nothing about your problem but bitch on honda-tech about how bad len is.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lke2drvgsr)

i talked with acura/honda corp and got no where, i talked to my credit card comp. about there warranty/ coverage/and returns and im not getting very far. . . i dont feel like going through smal claims if i dont have to . . . i will be contacting Better business burrow next. .. .
Old 05-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few things to think about:
1. Where on your reciept does it explain the warranty? Who told you/explained to you the warranty?

2. Did you get dates/times when you talked these people about the warranty?

3. Almost NO dealership is giong to warranty a product they dont install. I would have paid Acura to do it before a local shop; your paying either way; pay the right person.

4. Im sure you missed a few i's and t's. But get over it if you can; which you will. Rebuild it and start over. Maybe after finding out what was wrong; instead of demanding a new tranny maybe they will give syou the new parts at cost or even free? (new throwout bearning, syncros, ect) With the right additude and the right research you can have something done.

5. Len isnt trying to screw you. Its not his fault. If anything Id buy happy i bought my tranny from his shop just because maybe he can help you through this. Hes here to help everyone and weve all helped him. Thats what honda-tech is about.

I hope it works out for you. Keep your cool; talk to the big managers and try and compromise...its better then making a fool of your self and getting nothing!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure your flywheel was resurfaced properly and rebleed the slave and master cylinder . I had the same problem with the hydraulic system reblead it and it ran just fine. The flywheel is a step flywheel and you need to machine the face as well as the pressure plate mounting area as well.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: (jdmjerk)

I used to work at Scottsdale Acura. I can see your side and I know Acura's side. First no dealer will warrenty anything that they themselves have not installed. Can you blame them? I have seen way to many people take on a job themselves and totally ruin whatever they are trying to do. I know you had a shop do the work, but you should of spent the extra money and had acura install it. There would be no ? about if they are going to warrenty it because they installed it, even if YOU destroy it on purpose. I have many a time had a kid in my bay trying to explain how it happened and how it not his fault. In the end we replace it and customer goes home happy.

As for replacing the tranny I think your Fu*cked, but don't freak out, tear it apart and fix what wrong. Also when replacing a tranny you should always replace the Throwout bearing, Pilot bearing, Clutch assembly ( Unless you know for 100% it ok ), resurface the flywheel... etc.... Its cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Modified by spoonfed95 at 9:05 PM 6/1/2004
Old 05-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoonfed95)

I SEE what you are all saying about it ot being covered if it wasnt installed by them, but then said and i asked many times if it was ok and wouldn't void the warranty if i got installed by a shop, the only was the warranty would be void is if i put it in my self because there is no way to see how well it was done . . they are in GA and im in NJ, if i have to i will take a road trip there and they can look at it right then and there . . .
i payed extra for a new tranny and i payed extra because i wanted the warranty it was 1700$ shipped for the tranny and i had to pay some ******* expensive shop 450$ just to install my tranny . . . ( i was trying to find a place that would do it in a week and my area is expensive to begin with) 2200$ for a brand new GRINDING USDM ITR tranny . . is it worth it ?????
Old 05-28-2004, 11:07 AM

to me it sounds like someone happened along the install process that acura shouldnt be lieable for. i have nothing but great things to say about baranco, they shouldnt be liable for the situation. i dont think youll get far in small claims either
Old 05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnny_Lange)

From my experience at working with and in dealerships, they are not liable since they did not install the tranny themselves.

Also, can't blame Len since AFAIK he isn't the manager and higher up people can still change things (I had identical things happen to me while working for a dealer. which is why i hate dealerships. not the workers, but the management)

Quick Reply: !!!! dont do what i did and order a tranny from a DEALER !!!!