Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins?

My friend and I had a gentlemans bet and he said that if I got a carbon fiber hood, that I would HAVE to get hood pins. His reasoning for this were that at high sppeds the hood is so light that it could flap up and **** my **** up. He gave a reasonable excuse and I just wanted to know if this was true. In my defense I see carbon fiber hoods without hood pins all the time. Thanx.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (SupersonicBlueGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupersonicBlueGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see carbon fiber hoods without hood pins all the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then??
Old 06-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupersonicBlueGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my defense I see carbon fiber hoods without hood pins all the time. Thanx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because individuals choose not to run pins on their CF hoods doesn't make it the right decision. IMO, a CF hood means running hood pins, no option involved. The cost of hood pins is so minimal that there really is no excuse not to use them. I agree with your friend 100%.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (Padawan)

i beg to differ, a vis hood has underhood support beams like our stock hood and is designed with using the stock latch in mind. it is purely up to the owner to or not use hood pins. I wouldn't because i would be pinless in about 24hours because of a kid stealing them from my car at work.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (fergy016)

VIS carbon hood, been in speeds in excess of 110 many a time, no problems
Old 06-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (fergy016)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fergy016 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i beg to differ, a vis hood has underhood support beams like our stock hood and is designed with using the stock latch in mind. it is purely up to the owner to or not use hood pins. I wouldn't because i would be pinless in about 24hours because of a kid stealing them from my car at work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, BUT...most VIS hoods do not have the holes drilled for the secondary hood rubber. Given the degree of laziness of most people, they wont want to take the time and care to drill the holes, so air gets under, the hood flies up and destroys itself and the windshield and roof. So, you can go without, BUT make sure that all of your rubber seals are attatched JUST AS THEY WERE ON YOUR STOCK HOOD. If there are no holes DRILL THEM. Or use pins. Dont be lazy. I took me about an hour to carefully drill all the holes.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (jtintegra)

a good quality c/f hood will NOT need pins. the idea comes from cheaper c/f hoods and fiberglass hoods which have a habit of breaking the latch under higher speeds. but good c/f will take the stress. though hood pins are a good idea, there not needed.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (jdmotorsports)

I have a BKNW carbon fiber hood that I ran for awhile consitently at 85-90 mph. I decided it was cheap insurance to put in hood pins, even though I do not like the look of them. The last thing I want is the hood to fly up dent the roof, crack the windshield, and f up the hood, not to mention the potential to hit someone or something during all of this. $10 and a little time for hood pins vs ~$1000 min damage. You do the math.

As far as someone stealing your pins thats why you leave you stock latch and lock in place.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (jdmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a good quality c/f hood will NOT need pins. the idea comes from cheaper c/f hoods and fiberglass hoods which have a habit of breaking the latch under higher speeds. but good c/f will take the stress. though hood pins are a good idea, there not needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Complete Rubbish....the point of a CF hood is to reduce weight...so all that skeleton mess companies add, is extra weight, so that no longer is not a "quality CF hood" unless your a ricer and want it to look cool or "JDM" .... but since we're all so concerned with being JDM these days .... look at D1 cars, their CF hoods are raw sheets of CF cut .... no skeleton, no laminate, no glossy finish.....thats a REAL carbon fiber hood.

Dont get me wrong VIS is high quality....but your endangering yourself, and other motorists by having a CF hood and no hoodpins...dont rely on those hood latches, because VIS doesnt have the R&D program that Honda/Acura have when they designed these vehicles....I dont think VIS has speed tested all their parts and did studies on this,I dont wanna be the guy in the other lane ... when your hood flies up, blinds you, so you hit me head on with my family in the car .... sorry if you loose "cool points" but put hood pins on it. BTW real race cars have hood pins ... so there lil reverse psych for the ricers ...
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM
New User

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (VTECPWR)

ran my vis hood in excess of 100 miles (from los angeles to utah) and it was fine. However it did start to flap a bit at excess speeds. I wouldn't say its absolutely necessary, just personal choice.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins? (Rookie SPL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rookie SPL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Complete Rubbish....the point of a CF hood is to reduce weight...so all that skeleton mess companies add, is extra weight, so that no longer is not a "quality CF hood" unless your a ricer and want it to look cool or "JDM" .... but since we're all so concerned with being JDM these days .... look at D1 cars, their CF hoods are raw sheets of CF cut .... no skeleton, no laminate, no glossy finish.....thats a REAL carbon fiber hood.

Dont get me wrong VIS is high quality....but your endangering yourself, and other motorists by having a CF hood and no hoodpins...dont rely on those hood latches, because VIS doesnt have the R&D program that Honda/Acura have when they designed these vehicles....I dont think VIS has speed tested all their parts and did studies on this,I dont wanna be the guy in the other lane ... when your hood flies up, blinds you, so you hit me head on with my family in the car .... sorry if you loose "cool points" but put hood pins on it. BTW real race cars have hood pins ... so there lil reverse psych for the ricers ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm the addition of a under skeleton ads about 1.5 lbs. nothing earth shattering there. and those slabs of c/f have no hood latchs. when in any sort of governed racing they require hood pins for safety reasons. they also dont use hood latchs so they can gain access to the engine compartment in emergencies.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:38 PM

You must be mistaken....seeing D1 cars first hand, everything is clamped, and sometimes sprung latched, so that "gain access to the engine compartments in case of emergencies" is not correct
Old 06-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rookie SPL)

I'm local man, if you want to meet up I will show you how strong and well made the VIS hoods and hood latches are. Yeah, the hood pins are a good safety precaution but I seriously don't think they are a must.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: (97RedTegGSR)

i didnt have any on mine and it was fine

put the weather strip on so air cant get under the hood
Old 06-12-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: (SilverB18C1)

my cousin had his light weight hood fly off his car cuz he refused to put hood pins on.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:55 PM
New User

Default Re: (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my cousin had his light weight hood fly off his car cuz he refused to put hood pins on.</TD></TR></TABLE>are you 100 percent sure it was a VIS? if not, that doesnt really pertain to this thread...
Old 06-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Nikon!!!

Default Re: (Threatcon13)

just because the hood is closed for now, doesnt mean it will stay closed all the time. hood pins/locks are cheap insurance for your $$$ hood and car!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:58 PM

Default Re: (thaiphob)

if you don't like hood pins, put 100mph tape on it. Nascar is real racin and they use it.

Naw hood pins are like seatbelts, they will probablly do more good than bad, and you would proabablly be better to use both so you don't have to buy a new winshield.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Re: (snoballgsr)

just make sure no air goes under the hood
Old 06-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SilverB18C1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverB18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put the weather strip on so air cant get under the hood</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think its more personal choice, id say maybe if you did a lot of highway driving you might want to consider it, otherwise not a MUST have
Old 06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Darth ModerVader

I will never understand why people continue to choose not to run hood pins on their CF hoods, and to argue against their use. Is it because they think the pins don't "look good"? A CF hood isn't (or shouldn't be) a cosmetic modification, and a large piece of unpainted carbon fiber on anything but a black car is far more visually striking than two small pins. The reason can't be cost, since decent hood pins can be purchased for roughly $20, and installed with relative ease. I can't imagine that the hood pin opponents haven't seen/heard of the numerous individuals who have had their CF hood latch break (including those where the much-touted "skeleton" (to which the latch is attached) has separated from the skin of the hood. Most of these people have been lucky in suffering only minor damage to their cars, rather than the much more serious damage to life and property that could result from such an accident. The argument, "My hood has no pins and I've never had problems" is a poor one. I can recall an individual who posted pictures of his damaged car (windshield, roof, etc.) and who stated that he had had no problems with his hood up until that point. It should be quite obvious that everyone with an unpinned CF hood will have had no problems until the latch actually breaks.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (Rookie SPL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rookie SPL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You must be mistaken....seeing D1 cars first hand, everything is clamped, and sometimes sprung latched, so that "gain access to the engine compartments in case of emergencies" is not correct </TD></TR></TABLE> Are you refering to zip-ties?The reason they latch everything to the sheet metal is so when they crash(they all kniow it will happen sooner or latter),body parts wont fly all over and cause another accident since they drift so close together.Also u cant compare the neeeds of D-1 and real racing.In real racing if something goes wrong under the hood,u need to open the hood as fast as possible to save time,in D1time is not of importance so they can take there sweet 5 seconds to find the hatch and open the hood.In IRL or CART,5 seconds means u lost 7 or 8 possitionss
Old 06-13-2003, 10:12 AM

hit 140+ mph a few times and no problems

NEXT TIME DO A SEARCH!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (btl fed)

[QUOTE=btl fed]hit 140+ mph a few times and no problems

I have also gone 120+ with my Vis hood with no flapping at all. I personally just think hoodpins are ugly, and that's why I run without one. I do suggest you put the weather strip rubber on though, so no air gets through the hood potentiallly enabling it to catch enough air and flip up.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (01Nightgsr)

The OEM clips won't go in the holes far enough.. How did you mount your rubber weather stripping?

Quick Reply: does a VIS carbon fiber hood needs hood pins?