danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You can just fold it under/behind?
I looks like it might taper too fast to be able to fold enough up there, but i honestly didnt look very closely. i'll check that area out and see if i can fold any of it up and still be able to get the material down where it needs to be in the other areas.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Regarding your last seat pic, I think that front piece is suppose to clip into the back piece, or maybe that wasn't implemented in the integra seat design.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave your seat out in the sun or heat up the leather before you try to rework the seat skin. That will help stretch the areas you want to pull in place. Wont solve the issue you're running into though..
Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Regarding your last seat pic, I think that front piece is suppose to clip into the back piece, or maybe that wasn't implemented in the integra seat design.
Right, i was trying to get those two pieces to clip together, and thats when i noticed my problem. I also looked at folding some of that material up, but that only works to a certain point. THe more your fold it up, the further away the clips will get from each other. I can't see how to make this work without making a small cut in the material on the side to allow the whole cover to slide down further and get the clips closer together.

THis is where its getting bunched up (red) and i would need to make a slice here so that i can slide this section down further to get the clip (blue) closer to the front fastening point.

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
Leave your seat out in the sun or heat up the leather before you try to rework the seat skin. That will help stretch the areas you want to pull in place. Wont solve the issue you're running into though..
Thats what i had started to do with a heat gun when i first noticed it getting all bunched up on the side there. I'll try to heat it up again front and back to see if i can get those clips to fasten without having to start slicing up that side.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Fish Twig

If it was there before than you shouldn't need to slice anything.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Fish Twig

This was interesting.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was there before than you shouldn't need to slice anything.
in theory, but the seat backs are not identical on both sides. The brackets that connect the seat back to the seat bottoms are different on each side of the seat. So it makes sense the covers are slightly different, even the foam is cut slightly different. Which was also part of my problem. I didn’t account for that either. I think I have it in a good place now. Just need to finish my seat restoration before I fully reassemble.

Fun fact, the seat bottoms from driver’s side to passenger side are identical (minus the brackets).

Grabbed some pictures to illustrate the issue a bit more.

Here is the bare seat back, you can see the attachment points on both sides are very different.

And this is why the foam and seat cover itself are cut differently from left to right sides and why drivers are different than passenger sides.

The other side

and the two different mounting brackets for the seat backs to the seat rails, one takes up a lot more room than the other, also why the foam and seat cover are cut differently on each side. Different things to clear.

i think i have it so it shoudl work now, but i'm not gonna try to re assemble until after i finish the seat resto. i'm going to check out that brake video right now, love me some zinc lol

Last edited by danteisme; 04-16-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This was interesting.
I'd almost rather purchase remanufactured calipers and spray them with color. Lol. I just dont have that kind of free time anymore.

Video was cool though...But the time and effort put into that caliper restoration wouldn't be appreciated by anyone who saw those calipers without watching this video first.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Fish Twig

I already have the zinc plating process down, didn't take me long for some bolts.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd almost rather purchase remanufactured calipers and spray them with color. Lol. I just dont have that kind of free time anymore.

Video was cool though...But the time and effort put into that caliper restoration wouldn't be appreciated by anyone who saw those calipers without watching this video first.
Same here, i cant barely find time to spend an hour on the integra, let alone how ever long it took this guy to rebuild the calipers lol. But man, thats some attention to detail for sure.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have the zinc plating process down, didn't take me long for some bolts.
Lucky you...That's where you hold an advantage.

But still...even after the plating process, rebuilding the caliper still takes a short amount of time, then paint. I'd still pick up reman and spray. Time is too important to me, as I've wasted too much of it already. Video was still interesting...
Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've wanted to zinc plate my calipers, but ended up just getting them powdercoated in generic gunmetal. Really hate how the reman calipers get surface rust so quickly over the original oem finish
Old 04-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Fish Twig

Lucky you...That's where you hold an advantage.

But still...even after the plating process, rebuilding the caliper still takes a short amount of time, then paint. I'd still pick up reman and spray. Time is too important to me, as I've wasted too much of it already. Video was still interesting...
As we grow older we're all feeling we need to spend time elsewhere.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, i lost my cool and listed this car for sale for a hot minute yesterday. I have since gathered my senses and decided to continue on. I worked on the car for about 4 hours yesterday and got absolutely nothing accomplished. I removed the evaporator and blower motor quickly, then moved onto the heater core. This stupid thing just does not want to let go of the car. I'm having a VERY hard time getting the hose clamps / hoses to slide off the inlet and outlet of the heater core. I replaced these hoses at the beginning of the project, and it was super simple, but most of the engine bay was torn apart and there was nothing in the way. Now, we have the fuel lines, brake lines, intake manifold etc... all in the way making it very difficult to get enough room for any kind of leverage to get these hoses off the core.

The interior still looking like a nightmare

And the god awful hoses and hose clamps in question.

Still no resolution with this crap. And then my heart really sank when i realized this harness goes back behind the firewall mat. So I will need to remove this, and anything else ontop of it, to replace this harness....."insert sigh here"............

Old 04-29-2019, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's really not that bad. I think you're just a little overwhelmed with the whole project and a couple of deep breaths can go a long way. Would it be difficult to pull the motor out while you tackle the heater core and wiring harness work? I would suggest removing the intake manifold to give you some working room but I think it's easier to pull the motor than to remove and replace the GSR manifold. lol.

If I were local, I'd help you get through this and interior back together in no time....

Hmm...If airfare isn't too expensive and lodging wont kill my wallet, maybe I can stop by on my way to New York around May 15th? Let me check my schedule and see if I can free up time.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can probably find time to help you out, I've told you several times lol. I'm only 3 hours away. Just let me know!
Edit: or call/text me, I've done this way too many times at work
Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's really not that bad. I think you're just a little overwhelmed with the whole project and a couple of deep breaths can go a long way. Would it be difficult to pull the motor out while you tackle the heater core and wiring harness work? I would suggest removing the intake manifold to give you some working room but I think it's easier to pull the motor than to remove and replace the GSR manifold. lol.

If I were local, I'd help you get through this and interior back together in no time....

Hmm...If airfare isn't too expensive and lodging wont kill my wallet, maybe I can stop by on my way to New York around May 15th? Let me check my schedule and see if I can free up time.
Originally Posted by GreatWave
I can probably find time to help you out, I've told you several times lol. I'm only 3 hours away. Just let me know!
Edit: or call/text me, I've done this way too many times at work
Thank you guys, i really appreciate it. I agree, I was just overwhelmed with the situation. I think a lot of it had to do with me really hoping to make some good progress this past weekend since i was actually able to set aside the better part of a day to work on the car, and i left the garage with not much done. I think when i get this heater core out, i'll be able to make some good headway and get back into it again. In my head, getting this harness swapped out is going to be the hardest thing, so once thats down it should get better and better. I'll throw the dash etc.. back on after i replace the harness and all that will be left is body work. And i'm so comfortable with that, it might even be therapeutic at that point lol.

Braden, i dunno why when i'm in the middle of working on the car i dont ever think to call or text you lol.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And on a positive note, i did get pricing from the local auto body place for my materials for the car from epoxy primer through clear coat and it is cheaper than i thought it would be, so thats good. once i get the car in primer, i'm going to get some paint and clear to test my setup on the extra hood and bumper i have. Then move onto the car after that.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danteisme
Thank you guys, i really appreciate it. I agree, I was just overwhelmed with the situation. I think a lot of it had to do with me really hoping to make some good progress this past weekend since i was actually able to set aside the better part of a day to work on the car, and i left the garage with not much done. I think when i get this heater core out, i'll be able to make some good headway and get back into it again. In my head, getting this harness swapped out is going to be the hardest thing, so once thats down it should get better and better. I'll throw the dash etc.. back on after i replace the harness and all that will be left is body work. And i'm so comfortable with that, it might even be therapeutic at that point lol.

Braden, i dunno why when i'm in the middle of working on the car i dont ever think to call or text you lol.
**** happens, Dante. That's the same reason I had to do a head gasket job twice on Saturday. Getting that heater core out is really going to be the key to this whole thing. Idk the easiest way to do it with the GSR manifold installed, and it's really not fun to remove the intake with the engine in or out of the car. I normally remove the clamps closest to the firewall and leave the hoses in the bay. Don't forget the pesky nut on the firewall side that holds the heater core in place too.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** happens, Dante. That's the same reason I had to do a head gasket job twice on Saturday. Getting that heater core out is really going to be the key to this whole thing. Idk the easiest way to do it with the GSR manifold installed, and it's really not fun to remove the intake with the engine in or out of the car. I normally remove the clamps closest to the firewall and leave the hoses in the bay. Don't forget the pesky nut on the firewall side that holds the heater core in place too.
Yup got that nut out of the way already. If i can get just one of those hoses to break free of the heater core, i could have enough room to get to the other one and get that one off. And of course spill coolant everywhere in the process...
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have hose pliers?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have hose pliers?
I did, but god knows where they are. so i tried making it with out them, clearly thats not working. I have a new set coming from amazon, will be here in time for the weekend.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you working on it again this weekend? I'm free Saturday. Text me
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Working on your car is better when you have a buddy around. Sure beats being alone in the garage, searching for motivation to continue, while getting sidetracked on something else of less importance, trying to tackle a project that erupted into something unexpected. That person can serve as an extra set of hands, a brain to pick, or another perspective on how to go about things. I'd take him up on his offer.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you working on it again this weekend? I'm free Saturday. Text me
I'll shoot you a text soon, as of right now it looks like my plans have been shifted against my will for this weekend lol.

Working on your car is better when you have a buddy around. Sure beats being alone in the garage, searching for motivation to continue, while getting sidetracked on something else of less importance, trying to tackle a project that erupted into something unexpected. That person can serve as an extra set of hands, a brain to pick, or another perspective on how to go about things. I'd take him up on his offer.
I agree, its like a work out partner. I only get so far talking to myself lol.

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread