Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

awesome. I’m thinking of tracking down an oem DB8 R cat back for the car.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

moaaaar updates...now i have someplace to start. the car finally threw a check engine light this morning.

And here is the freeze frame data

Old 08-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VAFC taps into the o2 sensor and MAP sensor wires for readings right? Check to make sure those connections are insulated from the original installation since it was connected directly to the wire. Your o2 sensor is probably fine. Sounds like you might be having a fuel issue. How's your fuel pressure regulator? Any injector issues?

Give me 3 days on the ecu. I had to move the car in my garage last minute to get rid of some stuff.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
The VAFC taps into the o2 sensor and MAP sensor wires for readings right? Check to make sure those connections are insulated from the original installation since it was connected directly to the wire. Your o2 sensor is probably fine. Sounds like you might be having a fuel issue. How's your fuel pressure regulator? Any injector issues?

Give me 3 days on the ecu. I had to move the car in my garage last minute to get rid of some stuff.
When i had the VACF installed like 12 years ago, the installer cut a portion of the wire sheathing off, wrapped the wires together and electrical taped them up. Very professional.... in addition to that, when i got the car back the ecu plugs were very brittle and the wires were loose in the actual plugs and most were just in bad shape. Thats when i went through and de-pinned and re-pinned and also added new wires to new plugs. I'll have to go back through and make sure none of my connections are looking faulty. I used some pretty high end connectors, but its possible i could have got a defective one somehow, or i screwed one up. When i re-installed the VAFC, i used a boomslang harness so i didnt have to re-tap and splice the wires i just fixed.

and no worries on the ECU. You are doing me a HUGE favor, so whenever is convenient for you works for me!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check your wires on the ecu side and also any fuel or 02 sensor wiring outside of the car. Give your connections a nice tug to make sure they're tight. The car is throwing up a P0132 because the sensor is taking too long to switch from high to low working voltage. With your ecu wires needing such a repair, you might want to consider finding a harness section to replace it with. Hopefully the ecu fixes the issue.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check your wires on the ecu side and also any fuel or 02 sensor wiring outside of the car. Give your connections a nice tug to make sure they're tight. The car is throwing up a P0132 because the sensor is taking too long to switch from high to low working voltage. With your ecu wires needing such a repair, you might want to consider finding a harness section to replace it with. Hopefully the ecu fixes the issue.
I was originally looking for the cabin harness, but it is proving to be damn near impossible to find and OBD2A cabin harness. The repari i did (aside from some repinning) was removing the bad sections of wire and putting in about 8" of new wiring and new pin connectors. I will definitely check to see how secure they are in the ECU plugs too. I used these connectors to make the wire repairs
Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a different note, i've been trying to track down the original building sheet information for my car. Just because why not. Acura customer relations informed me that the original sales dealership would be able to do that, and i gave them my vin number and they determined it was Pohanka Acura in Chantilly VA. which, is where i bought the car used in 2003. So far, Pohanka is ignoring my request and wants me to come down to test drive a new car instead...
Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by danteisme
awesome. I’m thinking of tracking down an oem DB8 R cat back for the car.
I wish you had said this 4 yrs ago, I had one in the states. I only had the muffler though but it sounded really nice on my civic sedan. I traded it to my civic to get back my rs-r exmag.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I wish you had said this 4 yrs ago, I had one in the states. I only had the muffler though but it sounded really nice on my civic sedan. I traded it to my civic to get back my rs-r exmag.
lol only 4 years too late!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just a boy and his Acura

Old 09-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ECU should be there no later than tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its there now, i got a notification from my camera system and there is the mailman dropping off a package.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the ecu turns out to be the problem, there's an OBD2a GSR ecu on my local craigslist if you want me to pick it up for you.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the results are in. It is not the ECU... I drove for a few miles and it through the same P0132 code. SO, it must be in the wiring. Since it is affecting the primary oxygen sensor, i'm assuming it should be somewhere in the 4 wires that go from the ECU to that sensor. So i'll start really digging in that area again.

Really appreciate the heads up on the ECU as well as the loaner ECU, thats what makes the car community so great. I'm going to drive a couple more days on the loaner ECU just to make sure and then I'll package it up and send it back to the opposite coast lol.

On another note, i found this:

JDM Honda/Acura Integra Type R DB8 Sedan OEM Exhaust, Axle Back and High Flow Cat - Japanese Car Parts

Except they want freakin $300 for shipping. JUST FOR SHIPPING....
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shipping is ridiculous for exhaust systems like that, trust me. We shipped a Mugen for an EK9 and I think we had over $200 in it. If we get one in, you'll have to make the drive to see me
Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you worked on those o2 sensor wires, did you replace the shielding around the wires and insulate them well? Oxygen sensor wires are usually shielded to prevent any electrical noise interference.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ll grab a picture of the repair tonight.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My repair area -

Found one slightly exposed wire on a section of the harness i did not repair, it was where all of the grounds are "spliced" together. I checked all of the wiring repairs i made related to the primary and secondary o2 sensors, everything checks within spec per the manual. Still popping a code so this week if i get a chance i'm going to check the harness plug down by the sensor.

Also, this is new. Something is not happy with my sunroof, i'm thinking something broke with the connecting parts on the driver's side. it opens just fine, but when it goes to close this side drops down and drags through my paint....

Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

If the sunroof is still working but just drags a bit I imagine one of the little plastic slider shoes has disintegrated, you'll have to pull the headliner down to get the sunroof tray out to repair it. The sunroof frame is mostly metal but has plastic shoes on the friction points which wear out over time.

Before my car got wrecked, I got all the little plastic bits new from Acura and never got around to installing them, they're yours if you want them.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
If the sunroof is still working but just drags a bit I imagine one of the little plastic slider shoes has disintegrated, you'll have to pull the headliner down to get the sunroof tray out to repair it. The sunroof frame is mostly metal but has plastic shoes on the friction points which wear out over time.

Before my car got wrecked, I got all the little plastic bits new from Acura and never got around to installing them, they're yours if you want them.
that would be awesome, PM coming your way!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So.....have i mentioned how much i hate electrical wiring? i went back through and un-taped all of my grounds to make sure i couldnt clearly see something very wrong. I didnt really see anything that looked like it would be an issue and i went back through and taped all of those connections up again and i made sure i taped the length of the wire so that it would be sufficiently shielded from the others.

after i taped it back up, i left the ecu out in open of the cabin of the car so i could test it per the manual. something is definitely fishy...it passed every test for that code, but it was questionable. for the test for voltage with a jumper wire in the o2 sensor plug, it was the same voltage with or without the jumper wire. it was actually the same voltage all the time for every test with no variations at all.

so i fired the car back up after the installing the ecu and running the tests, the code is gone for P0132, and now its throwing three more and still stuck in open loop. The other three codes were for the ELD, IAT, and coolant temp sensor. So something is definitely a bust in this wiring. I have an LS OBD2A cabin harness in my garage, i'm really thinking about running the wires to make it work with my car and installing it this winter. I'm not 100% sure on how difficult that will be, but it has to be easier than chasing electrical gremlins in my harness... this **** is really annoying.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is shelded wire. Those sensor wires going to the ecu are constructed similarily. Your repair sections are missing that.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is shelded wire. Those sensor wires going to the ecu are constructed similarily. Your repair sections are missing that.
I see what you mean. Are they shielded like that all the way to the ecu plug? And is electrical tape sufficient enough to act as the shielding? I’ll have to go back through my pictures, but to the best of my memory, I don’t think I removed anything to make my repairs. I wonder if the shop that originally did my vafc install hacked them off.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They're shielded up to maybe until the last 1.5 inches?

It might even be a grounding issue....but electrical tape wont be enough shielding. I would probably get another Integra harness section and add your vtec wires to it.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the LS harness i have last night, it doesnt have the shielding either. i mean it does, but it has about a foot of wire between the shielding and the ecu plug. i did some research to see if they make a shielding tape, it looks like they do but its pretty expensive.

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread