Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Originally Posted by tony_2018
LOL, I just got done lifting my rear on my tacoma, its about 1 inch higher and it feels solid on the road.
What did you use? i'm wanting to do the same thing, ever since i put the cap on my truck it squats with those stupid stock leaf springs.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and updating for the car issues. I'll write more details after I do some more driving around with my scanner hooked up in the live feed mode and get some more information. It looks like when i get the crazy hesitation/bogging/backfiring/no power it is when the car is attempting to go into closed loop mode. After the car fights with itself, it states OL drive conditions on the scanner and it goes back into open loop and the car runs fine. So, all of my issues are coming from when the car is attempting to go into closed loop. However, it does not attempt to go into closed loop all the time. Normally with here and there driving (30 minutes or less), the car doesnt try to get into closed loop, it just stays in OL and says either OL-Drive conditions or OL-CL not ready on the scanner.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you tap into any wires for your VAFC or on the harness you were using?

You're OBD2a I believe...maybe try another ecu? If you dont know anyone with an ecu to borrow and you're willing to pay the cost of shipping back, I'll send you my ecu to swap in and see if there's a difference? Just let me know and i'll pull it from the car.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
Did you tap into any wires for your VAFC or on the harness you were using?

You're OBD2a I believe...maybe try another ecu? If you dont know anyone with an ecu to borrow and you're willing to pay the cost of shipping back, I'll send you my ecu to swap in and see if there's a difference? Just let me know and i'll pull it from the car.
I did have one wire tapped for the A/F gauge but i removed the tap and fixed the wire. The VACF was tapped directly to the harness when i got the car back, but i removed that and repaired the wires. Its a boomslang harness now.

I am OBD2A, i havent had any luck so far finding a spare ECU. I would definitely pay the cost of shipping if you are willing to do that. that would be awesome!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by danteisme
What did you use? i'm wanting to do the same thing, ever since i put the cap on my truck it squats with those stupid stock leaf springs.
wheelers 5 leaf, bilsteins 5100, sumosprings bumpstop. i think if i get taller tires it'll bump it up another inch.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea like I said in my comment a few up, I think it's an ECU issue. I'd open it up and just have a look around to see what's up. I bet swapping in enjoytheridedc2's ecu fixes the issue
Old 07-31-2018, 04:10 PM
Fish Twig

Considering you had electrical issues in the past that involved the ecu, its best to open it up and see.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wheelers 5 leaf, bilsteins 5100, sumosprings bumpstop. i think if i get taller tires it'll bump it up another inch.
That is the exact leaf pack i was considering, you should def post a picture so i can see how it looks.

Originally Posted by jdmark1
Yea like I said in my comment a few up, I think it's an ECU issue. I'd open it up and just have a look around to see what's up. I bet swapping in enjoytheridedc2's ecu fixes the issue
I'm hoping swapping the ECU fixes the issue, then i'll just need to track down another ECU.

Considering you had electrical issues in the past that involved the ecu, its best to open it up and see.
ECU pics from last night.

Can't say i've ever really opened one of these up, but I dont see anything glaringly wrong?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM me your address and i'll pull the ecu out either this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll ship it out tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just adding some more observations. So, when my car acts all goofy and sputters and dies etc..., it only does it under load when its trying to get into closed loop. If i pop in the clutch or put it in neutral, it free revs with no hang ups. As soon as i put it back in gear and try to go (if it is still trying to get into closed loop) it hestitats and pops and sputters. The closest thing that i can describe the sound to is it sounds almost like launch control. Obviously, no where near as loud.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Fish Twig

Try to find a way to see if your fuel is cutting out
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to find a way to see if your fuel is cutting out
That's exactly what it sounds like until i take the load off the car, then all is fine. I'll have to see if my scanner can show anything related to fuel in it's live feed function.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Under load an engine uses much more fuel than just revving in neutral, I think it's worth checking the fuel pressure at the rail under load. Think about how much throttle input it takes to maintain 4000rpm in neutral vs trying to accelerate from 4000rpm....the throttle will be open more, therefore letting in more air, and requiring more fuel.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea, it wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure at the rail. Though I doubt it has anything to do with the ecu not getting readings from the O2 sensor and staying in open loop, it's still not a bad preventative maintenance thing to do. Have you gotten the loaner ecu yet?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ECU loaner should be here this week. I was working on bleeding out the cooling system on the car yesterday and luckily enough the car started to act goofy while i was directly in front of my fuel pressure gauge. When the car started to stumble and nearly stop running, fuel pressure gauge stayed constant. I also checked the gauge while i was revving the car. The gauge would spike but then level itself out to a constant pressure reading.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Also how is the oil pan leak?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
Also how is the oil pan leak?
I just checked on that this morning. I still smell a faint smell of oil hitting the exhaust somewhere, but there is no more oil puddle under the car when i park it. I've put about 600 miles on the car now since getting it back on the road. I'll get the car up in the air this weekend and take a closer look.
And i did check the oil level too, because the first thing i thought was, "oh crap, i hope the reason i'm not seeing oil on the floor of the garage isnt because there is no oil in the car now" lol. Oil level was right where it needed to be.

I really hope i get this odd issue straightened out with this open loop vs closed loop nonsense. At that point, small oil leak aside, the car is 100% mechanical wise. When the car is running in open loop, the car runs really well. It just still has that hiccup occasionally when it tries to get into closed loop.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ECU is boxed and on its way to be shipped. I'll PM you the tracking info.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
ECU is boxed and on its way to be shipped. I'll PM you the tracking info.
fantastic, thank you for this!!!

Adding some more observations while i'm driving. I put some miles on the car with my scan tool connected in "live" mode to see what things were reading out as. Which doesnt mean they are reading correctly, but its a starting point. I missed the picture of the first screen, but here are the ST and LT fuel trim and O2 sensor readings right after startup before the car really gets warmed up.

And after the car is at operating temp. The really is no change.

I still have to go through the manual to see if any of these readings are in range with what they are supposed to be. I think its worth noting that whenever the car has its issue and tries to go into closed loop, the readings for the primary O2 sensor go to something like -36 and bounce around. I am 90% sure the readings for the secondary sensory stay at 0. I'm on "staycation" from work next week so i plan to do some further investigating into this car's odd issue.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: so the oil leak is still definitely there. I parked the car for about 2 days and you could see the oil under the car. With that in mind, is it easy or feasible to straighten out my current oil pan lip? Or should i just start saving up for a new one?

I also disconnected the VAFC 2 for about a week now, just to doubly check it is not affecting the open loop / closed loop issue. It is not, but i did find out something else. When i had my car tuned with the VACF2, i am thinking it was for peak hp and tq, or this guy had no idea what he was doin. I didnt know much about cars then, so i just assumed being a professional tuner that he tuned it the best it could be. Well, it runs and drives SO MUCH BETTER without the VAFC2 plugged in. The power is delivery is smooth, VTEC doesnt punch you in the face like it did with the VAFC... Overall, it is just a nice smooth transition throughout the RPM range whether i am just driving or aggressively driving. The butt dyno says no loss in HP, not noticeably anyways....so i think i'm going to leave that disconnected.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Fish Twig

uuugh...how the hell did I missed that you have a piggyback on there.....keep it off for now.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to take a couple of videos of the car acting up. You may need to turn up your speakers to hear it in the first video, the second video is pretty noticeable.

And a couple of new pics because why not.

Supporting the people that help me out

And a pic of the car from my front porch, looking very dirty.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love that new decal!!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreatWave
I love that new decal!!

Let me know when you guys get another DB8 R in, there is a couple parts i'd like to snag i think.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Will do man! Not on this next container, but probably on the November/December container.

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread