Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

That brown rubber piece on the back of the switch is the other bulb. I still haven't replaced it because it's so funky. I need to find an LED with long leads on it to make it work.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool i'll have to dig that thing out and take a look. Maybe no one makes a direct LED replacement for that part yet?

I forgot to ask to see if anyone has done this before. Has anyone made new door vapor barriers? Honda has them discontinued, i'm not sure what thickness plastic i should buy to make them.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I made vapor barriers out of trash bags before I got around to buying OEM replacements a few years ago, they worked but the plastic was so thin that it would vibrate and buzz when listening to music. I'd definitely use something thicker like 10mil plastic sheeting if I had to do it again.

I also just checked acurapartsforless.com and it looks like they have both rear door linings still available for $19 each and a front driver side lining for $23. Looks like the front passenger side is no longer available though, but you could use the driver side as a starter template for cutting out your own and that way have 3 OEM and one homemade.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
I made vapor barriers out of trash bags before I got around to buying OEM replacements a few years ago, they worked but the plastic was so thin that it would vibrate and buzz when listening to music. I'd definitely use something thicker like 10mil plastic sheeting if I had to do it again.

I also just checked acurapartsforless.com and it looks like they have both rear door linings still available for $19 each and a front driver side lining for $23. Looks like the front passenger side is no longer available though, but you could use the driver side as a starter template for cutting out your own and that way have 3 OEM and one homemade.
I'm going to have to check that out. delray told me that 3 were discontinued and 1 was on backorder with no eta of return. If that doesnt pan out, i was thinking of getting a couple of cheap shower curtain liners and cutting that up for the barriers.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use coupon code "5NSX" for 5% off if you end up ordering from there.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome thanks, i sent them an email and asked if they could please verify if any of those part numbers were still available.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danteisme
I forgot to ask to see if anyone has done this before. Has anyone made new door vapor barriers? Honda has them discontinued, i'm not sure what thickness plastic i should buy to make them.
6 Mil Plastic sheeting from home depot....cut to shape and seal using your favorite butyl sealant of choice. Definitely not something I would purchase from the dealer.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hoping for some good progress on the car this weekend. I have nowhere to be at and no running around to do. Ordered some dynamat for the rear speaker shelf, ordered some plastic sheeting, and a new usb port since something has happened to my two charging ports. I'm not sure what all i want to accomplish this weekend. If i can get the interior 100% back together and get the core support completed and ready for some paint, i'll start moving on to some other engine items (honda habit pan gasket and new ITR oil cooler o-ring) and see how much i can get done.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent added anything to this thread in a while. Slacking off and wasting time i supposed lol. I have a few things left to finish on the car and need some help with one of them.

When i installed the oil cooler, the intake manifold was off the car so it was pretty easy to line up the unit with the block and the o-ring. i believe i may have pinched that o-ring because i defintiely have an oil seep here. so i pulled off the unit and i tried like hell to replace the o-ring and re-install the unit but havent been successful yet. any pointers for keeping the new o-ring where it is supposed to be while i reinstall the cooler? every time i put the o-ring in the cooler, as soon as i move the cooler towards the block the o-ring falls out of its groove and smacks me in the face.

Second question, how do i stop this from happening while my car is parked during the winter? the rear rotors arent as bad as the front, the fronts are really bad. i might actually need to take them somewhere to get resurfaced.

This is just from sitting in the garage, the rotors have about 6K miles on them.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spray the rotors with wd40 before winterizing (lol jk dont do that)

For the oring, maybe you could try coating it in a thick and tacky grease first so it sticks in the groove, instead of assembling it dry.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely try a bit of grease
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The rotors dont really look that bad. I'd just go for a drive and let the pads scrape off the surface rust.

For the o-ring, coat it with petroleum jelly and put it into place. That'll give it enough tack to hold while you're installing the oil cooler.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some good work done on the car. Installed the hondahabit oil pan gasket, the oil cooler o-ring, the new ac compressor, condenser, ac dryer, replaced 2 broken ac lines, and replaced all of the o-rings in the system. items left to finish on the car - change out evaporator core, re-install exhaust manifold, install fenders, install jdm foglights to new front bumper, install new front bumper, align fenders and hood, inspection and ac recharge. i'm shooting to have everything but the inspection and ac recharge done by this time next week.

i'm still battling an annoying problem. when i took this picture, there was no oil in the system. the only oil present would have been whatever was on the o-ring of the oil filter, and whatever was on the oil cooler bolt. i keep getting this dot of oil showing up at the bottom of the cooler. i wiped this off twice now and a few hours later it shows up again. i've replaced the o-ring to the cooler, i'm not sure how oil keeps getting here (kinda hard to see in the pic, but there is a dark dot there)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You torque the oil cooler down? to spec? That o-ring is fimsy and probably needs some help to keep it in placed. I fought an o-ring for the tacoma oil cooler too.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet the o-ring didn't seat correctly. What did you use to hold it in place when installing the center bolt? Did you just lube it with oil and set it in the groove before pressing the cooler in place? Regarhold the o-ring in dless, it looks like the o-ring isn't seated. You could use a thin coat of RTV to hold the o-ring in place if necessary.

tony 2018 has a good point too : you sure the oil cooler is torqued down to spec? What did you use to tighten the bolt down?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used the petroleum jelly to hold it in place while i seated the o-ring and i used my 1/2" torque wrench to torque it in place. i cant recall the spec off the top of my head, maybe 54 ft lbs?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used the petroleum jelly to hold it in place while i seated the o-ring and i used my 1/2" torque wrench to torque it in place. i cant recall the spec off the top of my head, maybe 54 ft lbs?
Sounds right. Is the groove on your oil cooler deformed in any way? Maybe the block side wasn't perfectly clean? Did you re-seat the o-ring or use a completely brand new one?

Looks like a leak from the o-ring not sealing. Unless you're dripping oil from above but I cant see where that would come from?
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree, i dont think there is anything directly above that would be leaking. this was a brand new o-ring. i thikn i'll order another one, clean the block and the cooler unit good, and then use the petroleum jelly again to hold in place and do it one more time. stupid o-ring...
Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree, i dont think there is anything directly above that would be leaking. this was a brand new o-ring. i thikn i'll order another one, clean the block and the cooler unit good, and then use the petroleum jelly again to hold in place and do it one more time. stupid o-ring...
I just set the o-ring in the groove, apply petroleum jelly on the face of the o-ring and edge of the oil cooler, set in place, and thread the bolt by hand until tight. Then torque the bolt down while holding the body of the oil cooler to make sure it doesn't move in the process.

Are you doing this from under the car with the coolant hoses attached? If so, consider draining the coolant and disconnecting the lines when replacing the o-ring.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah this is all from under the car. thats a good idea, that will make sure the hoses are somehow moving the cooler unit while i'm positioning everything.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and this car are about to fight...Newly installed hondahabit gasket, torqued to spec and left to dry for 24 hours like the instructions stated. Filled the car with fresh oil yesterday, come out today to check on the car and this is what i find...

this is so damned annoying...
Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Myhondahabit oil pan gaskets can leak a bit at first, especially if you have an old oil pan that was overtightened in the past and the flange warped a bit. The gasket expands with oil contact so I'd give it a few days of driving and see if it improves at all.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
Myhondahabit oil pan gaskets can leak a bit at first, especially if you have an old oil pan that was overtightened in the past and the flange warped a bit. The gasket expands with oil contact so I'd give it a few days of driving and see if it improves at all.
thanks, thats good to know. i'll clean up the mes and wipe down the pan to see if it gets any worse.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well this made the oil problems go to the back of my mind lol

[/url]
Old 06-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible to overtighten the hondahabit gasket?

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread