Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
Looks to me like most of the gunk on the bracket could be removed with a wire brush (or failing that, bead blasting), so you can still do the retrofit on that bracket then just swap it into the good housing that's on the car when you finish with it. The high beam reflector is very easy to remove and swap, just three phillips screws on the back of the bracket and it's a good idea to remove it while working anyways to keep it from getting damaged.

And also, do not touch the reflective surface on the high beam bowl, not even a little bit with a microfiber towel, it scratches and scuffs VERY easily. Pretty much all you can do without hurting it is blow it with compressed air.
hmmmmm, i may have already ruined it then lol.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I doubt a few minor scuffs will affect light output in any noticeable way, I scuffed one of mine initially before I realized how fragile they were and it works fine, just something to be careful of.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A minor scuff wont be an issue on the high beam bowl. It wont even be noticeable once the headlight is reassembled. Besides, once you have the retrofit complete I doubt you'll ever need to use your high beams for the purpose of additional light again. Clean up the bracket and finish the retrofit with what you have.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
A minor scuff wont be an issue on the high beam bowl. It wont even be noticeable once the headlight is reassembled. Besides, once you have the retrofit complete I doubt you'll ever need to use your high beams for the purpose of additional light again. Clean up the bracket and finish the retrofit with what you have.
pretty much
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

S2000 projectors don't have high beams built in.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
S2000 projectors don't have high beams built in.
I was referring to the high beam on the Integra headlight assembly...
Old 02-26-2018, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more work done this weekend. All of the window motors and door glass have been swapped out. I did have to mess with the driver's side front a bit to get it to line up correctly, but it wasnt anything terrible.

Then i focused my attention to my donor core support and started drilling some of the spot welds to get it to where i needed it. I basically am replacing this with the "t-bar" method like with the jdm front swap. I didnt want to mess with the lower portion for two reasons. There was nothing wrong with it, and i didnt want to make it weaker some how by drilling out all of the spot welds and then re-welding (possibly worse than factory) and hoping it was just as strong.

Then moved on over to the car and started drilling the spot welds. Of course, after i marked the position of everything with some white paint.

Fast forward about 40 minutes, here it is off the car.

Have a little rust to take care, of course.

On the downside, during my drilling and scraping etc..., i basically removed the white paint i had for the markings. Some of it is still there, but i can see this taking a few tries. I'll get it fitted to what seems right and throw some nuts and bolts through the holes to hold it in place and make my adjustments from there. Then i'll go ahead and clean up the donor support and start tacking that back in place.

Also ordered some new trim pieces from Acura so I can have the front and rear windshields replaced in the next couple of weeks, and also ordered a my honda habit oil pan gasket. I already have the stud kit and i thought that using those in combination with the OEM gasket would be sufficient. It wasnt lol. Hopefully i'll have some free time after work this week to at least get the core support bolted up and mess with the fitment a bit and move on to welding it up this weekend. Hopefully my flux core welder doesnt blow through the metal.

I also stopped at an upholstery shop to get a price on re-doing the factory leathers i have for this car. They are in pretty bad shape, I got a price on re-doing them in a tan color close to the factory color with black inserts. The price was pretty high, so this will definitely be a next year thing if i decide to pull the trigger on getting those done.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've about decided that tan leather Integra seats in good shape just don't exist anymore. I've been looking for a set for years, and the only thing close I've seen has been a set across the country and they weren't willing to ship them.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a half way decent set on CL local to me, but they still would need re-done sooner than later. the bolster part of the seat looked like the leather was thinning in that section, not tears though. The price the shop gave me included replacing any foam that looks like it needs to be replaced, so they could end up basically being new seats. so i think i'll just keep on saving and get the ones i have redone
Old 02-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, I know those feelings on the tan leather seats. My rear is immaculate, passenger is okay, but my drivers seat is rough. I have been searching too. All the nice ones are unobtainable or black, new oem costs a mortgage payment and reupholstering is still very expensive.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to shop around a bit on the upholstery work just get some other prices, but I do like the work this other shop does and I like that they include seat foam repair in their costs. Until then, i'll rock the cloth seats lol
Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Considering the price of an upholstery job, I'd be more inclined to swap over to black/grey interior...or maybe even switching to cloth from leather.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to test fit the replacement core support a bit last night. I THINK i have it lined up where it is supposed to be. Then i grabbed my extra bumper that needs painted (so i dont care if i end up scuffing something) and i mounted that to check for fitment. If you ignore where the sides aren't connected, it looks like it lines up really well. I did not have the bumper supports connected to the fenders for this test fit.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks pretty good to me, Dante!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be so nice to have a hood that opens and closes properly and having a bumper that mounts up using all of the mounting holes lol
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You get that done and I'll have you swap the T post on mine so I can go Jap front lol
Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it wasnt too bad, there was only maybe a dozen spotwelds. and when going j front you get to cut some of that stuff out all together lol. I just used a 1/8th drill bit to make a starter hole and then i used a harbor frieght spot weld cutter. worked perfect!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great! I wish I could get my front end to line up that well. Nice to know getting the spot welds out wasn't too terribly difficult as I may end up doing that sometime in the future. Are you planning on welding it yourself or having someone else do that?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to give it a shot myself. I had some issues with some of the other thinner body panels, but this might be thick enough that my welder can weld it up without blowing through the metal. We'll find out this weekend lol
Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt get a chance to work in the garage at all this weekend, and i want to take my time and do some more measuring and fitting before i start welding. i'm second guessing myself some lol.

I did attempt to work on my door panels this weekend, and now i'm mad i did. i decided to go back to the leather inserts since my cloth ones fell off from the glue falling apart over the summer last year. well, my leather inserts have shrunk over the last 22 years some apparently. They dont quite cover all of the areas they should. So now i have a few odd gaps, they look good from far but are far from good.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heating the leather a bit wont allow it to stretch? Also try applying leather conditioner to the inserts prior to installation.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it was warm enough in my house to loosen thme up, i should have heated them up a bit more. 2 of those are 100% glued down, i hope i can get them off lol
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I think we are back to the game i used to play with this car. Make a bunch of progress, then take 3 steps backwards.

The steps backwards started with the fubar i made with the door panel inserts. So, this weekend i got car prepped for welding the new core support on the car. I measured and re-measured and checked the fitment of the headlights and bumper etc... probably 5 times. Once i was satisfied with the position of everything, i used c-clamps to hold everything in place. i only have a 90 amp flux core welder, so i was skeptical that it would weld and not immediately burn through the metal. I used it in the minimum setting and besides the "boogery" welds you get with flux core, it worked.

I'll need to go back through and grind down the crap and get some primer on there until i;m ready / it is warm enough for me to really finish up the core support with paint etc..

So with that being a success, i thought maybe i would try to disassemble the climate controls so i can replace all of the burned out bulbs. here is where the failures start. I broke both the hazard switch and the defroster switch trying to remove them (i do not like how these are mounted in the car at all)

So after that, i tried to remove the unit from the car, i followed a DIY but nothing i was doing was working. then i heard a crack and it came free. I broke something with the vents, not sure what yet. so, feeling defeated and having most of the unit out of the car, i decided to call it quits and do some more research before i break anything else.

The last thing i did on the car this weekend was back up in the front of the car. I decided i would start removing the trim pieces etc... to get the car ready for the new windshields. Should be nice and easy. so I removed the side trim pieces off the glass and then i removed the wiper cowl and i noticed something down by the passenger side corner....and i did not like what i saw at all...

I did some more clearing and am finding this

My heart just sank, i havent found any holes or perforations but it does not look good. Next weekend i'll remove the hood for better access and pick away at what looks like seam sealer and see how bad it is. After i saw that, i admitted defeat and called it quits. i really, really hope there is nothing that needs to be fully cut out and welded around that windshield. I don't think i have the tools to complete that. The only good thing from this weekend's work on the car was my hood opens and closes perfectly, and the headlights and the bumper all line up as they should...i'll guess i'll take that win.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That rust is in a really **** spot dude, I've dealt with it before. Also, I'm pretty sure I have a complete climate control lying around. It's yours if you want it, I'm pretty sure I still have your address lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you end up dealing with that spot? And heck ya man, let me know what you want for it and i'll paypal you some funds, at least for shipping or something!

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread