Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Strange problem on the Race track--Fuel related?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Strange problem on the Race track--Fuel related?

Hi guys- I'm a newb on this forum, but I'm sure someone here can help me.

I have a 99 B18B Integra LS motor installed in my 1974 Austin Mini with a Blox intake and custom 4-2-1 Header. Stock everything else.

The issue I'm having is specific to the road course that I take the car to for track days. The car will do about 1.5 laps, then acts fuel starved- usually at the end of a straight where its been spun up to high RPM for a good time. If I upshift early to drop the RPMs, it comes back to full power. I learned to use a higher gear to prevent the problem, but this is not the fast way around the track.

I'm running a brand new Walbro 255 fuel pump, standard pressure reg, and standard filter. Both days when this happened, it was extremely hot 90-97 degrees, and the car was running around~ 220 degree water temp. I don't have a fuel pressure guage to see whats going on, but I have one thought:

I used the small standard Mini 1/4 fuel line for a return, but used 5/16" for the feed.-- could the return cause a bottleneck of some sort?

Any ideas what to look for? I'm a bit stumped.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strange problem on the Race track--Fuel related?

standard pressure regulator for the car or for the engine?

are you running a stock ecu? at what rpm is it acting up at? type of tranny? gear set?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a GSR fuel pressure regulator. Stock Integra LS ECU. It only acts up after a whole lap at speed, and then only intermittently, but it gets worse as it gets hotter. I can upshift a gear, and it'll be fine for another half a lap. If I keep it below about 5000 under heavy load, it doesn't miss a beat. Running LS gears, but the tires are 4.5 inches smaller, so its geared very low.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if anything, it sounds like ignition problems.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing I should add-- the condition seemingly can't be repeated anywhere but the race track. It never does it on the road, no matter how hard I drive it.

It does seem heat related -- could it be vapor lock? Maybe the coil gets hot and causes ignition issues? Strange that it goes completely away until the next lap though...
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it in any way sound like a misfire? Or does it just get sluggish? It really sounds ignition related.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not a missfire, or sluggish running-- simply turns OFF completely until you drop RPM, and ease off the throttle. Like I said, I can upshift a gear and it runs fine, will accelerate smoothly with no issues.

I'm thinking it may be a vapor lock issue/ fuel pressure problem. It really seems like it runs out of fuel. Seems heat related because usually I can do at least 1 full lap before it happens. It is a tiny engine compartment crammed full of engine, radiator, fans, etc. My standard integra fuel filter sits directly behind the radiator/ fan, so I guess hot air is being blasted right at it.

As far as ignition goes-- could the coil be going bad in the high temps? When it gets hot, can't supply spark at high RPM?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are you running for a pickup? I have had this happen on two older cars and both times it was the fuel sock in the tank. Over time, they become non porous.