Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Cold Idle Flunctuating RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Idle Flunctuating RPMs

Hello all,

I’m currently having the dreaded cold start idle issue on my 2001 Integra GSR. What happens is it will start, and then bounce between 1k to about 1.8k RPMs before it eventually smooths out after the car is warm. This is the only time it does this, so I’m wondering what can cause it.

The engine doesn’t have a FITV, the throttle body has been cleaned, and IACV(bought at oreillys) has been replaced. I am also running a P28 hondata chipped ecu that I recently replaced my P72 with, but the issue still remains during cold start. I’m thinking of replacing the hoses to the IACV, and if not that the map sensor, then TPS, and if nothing else the throttle body and it’s gaskets.

Is there anything else I’m missing to replace? Would I not get a CEL for the map sensor or TPS if those were the issue? A smoke test has been conducted but no leaks were found, and I am stomped on what it could be. Is there anything I’m missing to test? Also if I get a stock map sensor, will it have to be calibrated? The engine was recently rebuilt with forged pistons and heads so that’s the reason for switching to P28, but thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Cold Idle Flunctuating RPMs

So actually the iacv should cause the idle to do that when its a cold start, this is completely normal, once the engine reaches temp the idle should drop to normal.

If you have Hondata then go into the Smanager and check what the IACV is set to, it should be set right in the middle or at normal. When its set to high the Idle will fluctuate up and down as if its got a vacuum leak, this happened to me a while ago till I just went into the Hondata and low and behold somehow it was set to High, I set it to normal and boom Idlle dropped to 800 rpm. Its very easy to check and set the IACV duty through the Hondata.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Cold Idle Flunctuating RPMs

Originally Posted by StefenCruthirds
Hello all,

I’m currently having the dreaded cold start idle issue on my 2001 Integra GSR. What happens is it will start, and then bounce between 1k to about 1.8k RPMs before it eventually smooths out after the car is warm. This is the only time it does this, so I’m wondering what can cause it.

The engine doesn’t have a FITV, the throttle body has been cleaned, and IACV(bought at oreillys) has been replaced. I am also running a P28 hondata chipped ecu that I recently replaced my P72 with, but the issue still remains during cold start. I’m thinking of replacing the hoses to the IACV, and if not that the map sensor, then TPS, and if nothing else the throttle body and it’s gaskets.

Is there anything else I’m missing to replace? Would I not get a CEL for the map sensor or TPS if those were the issue? A smoke test has been conducted but no leaks were found, and I am stomped on what it could be. Is there anything I’m missing to test? Also if I get a stock map sensor, will it have to be calibrated? The engine was recently rebuilt with forged pistons and heads so that’s the reason for switching to P28, but thanks in advance for your help.

Get it tuned if you haven’t already. The tuner should be able to fix that idle fluctuation.