Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"?

Well I just got my transmission oil changed and for the most part shifting now does a feel better than it did before. But for for some reason when I shift into gears it feels rough going in, and for 2nd gear its like I can feel the metal rubbing on each other giving it a "grinding feeling"(Not the actual dreaded grinding).

Its also sometimes hard for me to get in gears, in which cases I have to let go and hit the clutch a few times. At 1st I thought maybe I needed a new clutch but I did the starting off in 4th gear test and I stalled out. Any input and suggestions as always is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:02 PM

bump because this sounds like whats happening to me.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: (Kyoushu)

Late Night Bump
Old 07-17-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: (iixer0ii)

I personally don't think they are related, but I would check the obvious. I'd look at the fluid level in the transmission and make sure they used proper weight gear oil if it wasn't changed at the dealer.

I'd also check the hydraulic system. Make sure that the clutch system has been bled properly, and check the fluid level in the clutch reservoir. When bleeding your clutch look for any leaks on the slave cylinder. I'd then go under your dash and look where the clutch pedal goes into the firewall and look for leaks around the plunger/shaft that goes into the master cylinder. It is a typical issue with higher mileage Integras to have the master cylinder leak a little (mine does it, and 3 others I know of locally leaked).

If all looks good, it just could be a tired tranny and might need rebuilding, but chances are it lies in the hydraulic system. Especially if it takes a couple clutch pumps before it'll take it into gear.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: (Ramocheese)

Thanks for the suggestion

@work bump for any more suggestions or help?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iixer0ii)

clutch could be not disengaging all the way, shift linkage could be a bit bent, fluid in tranny might be wrong (honda MTF or 10-w30 motor oil only!.) try bleedin clutch, then check the fluid in tranny... if it was changed at a dealer, i'm pretty sure it was honda mtf, or at least 10-w30. if it was changed at some goofy shop... they might have put ATF or gear oil in, which is common of other manufacturers manual transmissions.... if its red, change it immedietly. i'd change it anyways because it's not hard and all you need is a 4 quart jug of castrol gtx 10w-30, an oil drain pan, and a fluid pump that you can find at any autopart store in the section near the ATF.

as for shift linkage being bent a little, thats very unlikely... but hey, you never know, try the above mentioned first, then if they dont work, start worrying about components like linkage.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"? (iixer0ii)

From least severe to most severe, I'd look into:

1.) Tranny fluid
2.) Clutch slave and master cylinders
3.) Clutch disc hub
4.) Bent linkage or shift rod/forks (very very unlikely)

I've experienced that feeling of the tranny wanting to grind every shift, no matter how slowly/carefully you shift, and the feeling through the clutch pedal where it feels like it's humming/vibrating when you push the clutch pedal down. The humming in the clutch pedal went hand-in-hand with the pedal requiring a lot of effort to push down. The thing with my experience was that it only happened when the engine had fully warmed up and I had driven the car for a while.

When I did the clutch job, it was found that both problems were caused by a clutch hub spring that had partially dislodged.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"? (IN VTEC)

Thanks for the help guys, this might seem really stupid but is it possible the bushings might be causing this or not?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"? (iixer0ii)

The Rear Engine Mount is probably done and the tranny is sitting a little off causing the shift linkage to be off as well...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Clutch/Shifter feeling rough and "grindy"?

Hey guys so I recently got my transmission rebuilt and new exedy stage 1 clutch with a lightweight flywheel.. I’m running gm synchromesh friction modified tranny fluid in there and I recently replaced my shift linkage bushings to solid dimes bushings front and rear.. While going into my gears I feel a slight rubbing feeling no matter how carefully I shift (fast or slow) which is the reason I changed transmission fluid and my shift linkage bushings.. anyways I still have the same problem any ideas what it may be? Thanks