Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing?

Old 05-07-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing?

I have a 92 GS-R with a ACT street strip clutch set. It has the heavy duty pressure plate and a heavy duty organic clutch. I have only raced my car once and by no means am i one of those people who shift at the red line 20 times a day. I am really easy on the clutch and i don't even gear down to slow down since i'd much rather replace brakes than a clutch. After that one time i raced it, it has never been the same. I am a little bit of a newbie hence my first race and i got a little excited and dropped the clutch at like 6k....Ouch (not even a fast feather, just dropped, yes i know i'm a retard and you don't have to bring this up) . The clutch is less than six months. Now it seems like the clutch does not grip at the same engagement point it used to. It is not as harsh of an engagement point either, but the stiffness still remains. What may be the problem? Sorry for the long statement.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing? (SwedBoy2999)

Nothing is wrong with it over time and wear they will change, put it in 4th gear and floor it if u move its fine if ur rpms go up but u dont feel ur self moving its new clutch time.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing? (SwedBoy2999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwedBoy2999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bring this up) . The clutch is less than six months. Now it seems like the clutch does not grip at the same engagement point it used to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So how many miles are on this clutch ? Time doesn't matter. You can put a clutch in an drive on the same clutch for 14 years...if you a good driver and you only put 300 miles a year on it.

So, anyways, point is, clutches wear out. There is only one thing that wears the clutch, and that is the driver. You said it yourself, you were a "newbie". So, until it gets to the point where it is slipping 2k RPM and then grabbing, don't worry about it. When you install a new clutch, it only gets worse. You can't make a clutch "heal" itself.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing? (ScreaminTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing is wrong with it over time and wear they will change, put it in 4th gear and floor it if u move its fine if ur rpms go up but u dont feel ur self moving its new clutch time.</TD></TR></TABLE>what the hell are you talking about? - ive never once heard that - the way i was told from two different honda certified mechanics to tell if your clutch is bad, is put the car in third and if the car stalls its GOOD - if you move its BAD - if im wrong ill apologize, but unless you got your info from a honda mechanic, please dont ever repeat that
Old 05-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you break the clutch in properly? Something like 400 miles of stop and go city driving.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Clutch going bad or Clutch cable going bad or Throwout bearing? (frenchy)

dude there are a lot of ways to test if you have a bad clutch. me, i use the 4th gear method. the clutch will slip in every gear, but "slippage will be the most obvious to detect in 4th. the clutch will slip instead of accelerating the car in 4th. if the clutch is good, then car will bog/wont accelerate and the motor will just be under heavy load. this is whats supposed to happen when u floor it in 4th at 50mph. the honda technicians didnt steer you wrong, they just pointed you to a method that didnt involve driving the car. when my clutch was bad i could let the clutch out all the way when stopped and the car wouldnt stall. hell the idle wouldnt even drop. yes, it was that bad and no, it wasnt my fault i got it like that. what im trying to tell you is that either method works. you just have to understand the mechanics of the clutch system to properly diagnose the problem. let us know how you tested it all and how it turned out. good luck!