Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   clicking noise (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/clicking-noise-1386332/)

village_idiot 09-28-2005 03:48 PM

clicking noise

get this noise when turning. its a very rapid clickclickclickclickclick. steering wheel must be pretty much locked in either direction for the noise to occur. it doesnt sound like an axle to me. could be though but it does it both directions. what else could cause a noise like this when turning?

shamoo 09-28-2005 03:51 PM

Re: clicking noise (village_idiot)

Does the noise increase as your wheels turn faster? Or are they proportional to engine speed?

Could it be the wheels hitting something in the well? Does it sound more like a clicking or a knocking? (Knocking meaning it has more of a bassy/deeper sound than a clicking)

h4x 09-28-2005 03:56 PM

CV joints

91DApwr 09-28-2005 03:59 PM

Re: (h4x)

yeah cv joints may be leaking heave it checked out if you look underneath check and see for a leaking smelly type of oil thats from the joint

village_idiot 09-28-2005 04:12 PM

its more of a click shamoo. its been a while since ive had a gay axle but as i recal it was a knock and it wasnt so rapid. any ideas? has nothing to do w/ rpm nor how fast the wheel is turned. it pretty much has to be locked to the right or left.

Muckman 09-28-2005 04:52 PM

Re: (village_idiot)

CV Joint. At full lock the CV joints are under the most stress.

village_idiot 09-28-2005 05:41 PM

ok so your saying my cv's are bad on both sides and i should ignore the fact that it sounds completely differenct from my experiance w/ bad cv's. obviously i will check them out but can anybody think of anything other than cv's?

Muckman 09-28-2005 05:47 PM

Re: (village_idiot)

Obviously I cannot hear the noise so Im going on your description. By your description it sounds like bad axles. Things can wear and break differently causing a slightly different sound.

Another thing to look at would be the wheel bearing. Jack up the front and see if you can wobble the front wheels horizontally and vertically.

kchungb17a 09-28-2005 05:52 PM

Re: (Muckman)

Bad CV joints typically come from lots of miles with a blown CV boot(s). That's a reasonably easy check. Have you looked?

village_idiot 09-29-2005 05:31 AM

i have not looked but i will. is there anything else that could cause this?

Backk InTheDA 09-29-2005 05:34 AM

Re: (h4x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h4x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CV joints</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good way to test this, is throw your car into reverse, and then crank the wheel all the way to one side, and back up at about 10-15mph, if you hear that noise, your joints are wearing and more than likely need to be replaced.