Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second

I get a clunk noise when I take off as I'm releasing the clutch. It seems to be coming from the passenger side front. It is not affected by turning. I can make the noise happen when I open the throttle quickly at a low rpm (<1500) in first or second making the car jump forward. Things I've checked:

motor mounts (rear is 3000 miles old). There is no noise unless the car is taking off in gear.

All bushings in front suspension are good, many are newish.
The passenger side axle was replaced a week ago. The driver side about 3000 miles ago. This did nothing to the noise, which has only grown more frequent. My gut feeling is telling me this is not the CV joint.

From what I've been reading people report bad CV joints, motor mounts, or one of a few bearings in the transmission. I'm starting to think it's the latter at this point. Could anyone tell me what bearings are involved in this situation to help me in searching? I'd really like to get to the bottom of this soon. I plan on 500 miles of driving this weekend...
Old 10-18-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (MolecularIntegra)

faulty differential? bad axle? my bad differential was like that but hard to drive
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (MolecularIntegra)

sounds like motor mount(s) to me, had the same problem. You checked the front 2 torque mounts? Your car has 5 motor mounts.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (94gsr_vtc)

Resurrected!

I'm still having this problem. It's worse if anything. I am finally home for a week so I would like to get to the bottom of this now that I have a garage and time. I jacked the front of the car up and checked some stuff. The mounts are all fine. With the front end in the air, car in neutral, clutch pedal up, rocking EITHER the left or right wheel back and forth (parallel to the car) causes the clanking/rocking sound. It doesn't continue as the wheel spins, just an initial noise (fairly loud now). It is definitely coming from the transmission.

I should of done the same test with the clutch depressed. But I will do that tomorrow.

Any ideas now?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 PM
HGZ
Honda-Tech Member

i think i also have this same problem. i REALLY started to notice it one day in bad traffic, because when i drive really slow in second (or first) gear and get the car to gently rock back and forth right before i need to press the clutch, i'll hear something like 'CLANK, TOCK, CLANK, TOCK..'

i also notice that when i'm coming to a stop and need to put it in first gear without completely stopping first, the car will sort of 'shudder' (even with clutch fully depressed) and i'll also hear a CLANK then too as it slips into gear..

i'm really hoping its nothing too serious or costly as i've only had my integra for a few months and dont really know it's history in great detail..

^^ bump! ^^
Old 11-23-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (H.Gz)

Surprisingly, this is happening to my car too. Except, its coming from the driver side front. Im guessings mines due to a mount, but i wont jump to conclusions. The wheel bearing/axles/cv boot are all good, as they have been changed recently. Any ideas other than the mounts?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (Nine5IntegraLS)

did anyone fix that clunking noise, was it the mounts
Old 11-29-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (JDM_Spec)

BUMP! quite a few of us have this problem
Old 11-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (Nine5IntegraLS)

sounds to me like its the release bearing in the tranny, sounds like your clutchs arn't adjusted proper and your clutch is fighting against it self, you should fix it soon before the release bearing wears and breaks/explodes
Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (jdmcivicferio)

Well seeing as how its not a motor mount, or anything suspension related(which would have been my first 2 guesses). I would look at the drivetrain and the brakes. If the cars up on jacks you can probably pinpoint where that sound is coming from. Turn the tires and see if there is any noise. Maybe start the car and run it in first gear to see if there is an appearant noise coming for there also.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (Sack Master)

I'm pretty sure mines not transmission related since its coming from the driver's side.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:04 AM
HGZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (jdmcivicferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds to me like its the release bearing in the tranny, sounds like your clutchs arn't adjusted proper and your clutch is fighting against it self, you should fix it soon before the release bearing wears and breaks/explodes</TD></TR></TABLE>

for some reason i think it IS my clutch going out or something..

im not very drivetrain savvy, but i think it could be my clutch because my car 'chatters' sometimes when i take off.. (whole front dash bounces up and down and shakes..)

im hoping once i replace the clutch, everything will be cool.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (H.Gz)

so if i dont get it fixed, in the long run ill will have to just replace the clutch
Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
HGZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking/clunking when taking off and shifting into second (JDM_Spec)

*update*

well, four weeks after my last post, my clutch finally busted.

like i mentioned before, my car would chatter when taking off from a complete stop sometimes, and i would hear pretty audible 'clanks' and 'tocks' when i put it into first and second gear, and when driving slow in first gear to where the car jumps back and forth slightly, i would hear something rock back and forth as if the tranny or engine was loose and was banging against something..

one of the springs on my OEM clutch eventually broke (while driving 75 uphill on the highway) and when i went to shift from 4th to 5th, i couldnt put it into any of the gears without seriously FORCING it.. so i took it to a shop down the street from my work, and thats when they told me one of the springs broke and that my pressure plate was toast.

anyway, i bought an N2 Sport Clutch for $335 (cuz i got da hook up! holler if you hear me..) direct from the guys at NEUSPEED and had it put in. this being my 3rd day with my new clutch, i will say i do not experience anymore clicking/clunking/chattering or anything like that.

anyhow, there is my story. i just thought i'd share it with the thread starter and everyone else here.. who knows, some of you might be on the verge of breaking a clutch spring too!

be careful out there
Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Default Re: creaking when taking off and shifting into second

2011 accord coupe v6 6spd. Hearing a creak when in 1st gear, from a stop. Noise happens 1-3 times and then stops when the car is moving. Dropped it off to honda today, service advisor said it was very common and it's likely the brakes re-seating. Will see what comes out on inspection report.

anyone else heard of this issue as brake reseating?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Asad Hussain
2011 accord coupe v6 6spd. Hearing a creak when in 1st gear, from a stop. Noise happens 1-3 times and then stops when the car is moving. Dropped it off to honda today, service advisor said it was very common and it's likely the brakes re-seating. Will see what comes out on inspection report.

anyone else heard of this issue as brake reseating?
13 year thread resurrection. ffs man make your own thread, in the right section.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
13 year thread resurrection. ffs man make your own thread, in the right section.
:x totally missed that, moot point now anyways cuz its the steering column