Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car wont start periodically, possible wiring problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car wont start periodically, possible wiring problem?

Sorry for the post guys but Ive been searching forever, and I can't find anything similar to my situation.

Car won't start, getting fuel and spark.
When I try to start it up, the starter makes a click sound, and I can hear a click coming from the main relay, the fuel pump primes up, but almost everytime I get in the car, it won't start. It can be anywhere from 1-50 trys, but eventually it'll start. Every so often, it won't at all though.

Any ideas? I lost my voltmeter so I can't really check any currents or CCA's or anything like that. I bought a new battery, and the problem went away for a couple of days, but came back and hasnt gone away even with a new battery again. So..... any idea fellas?

By the way its a 1995 GS
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car wont start periodically, possible wiring problem?

Your integra might have thrown a code to let you know whats going on. On the passenger side kick panel there is a 2 pin jumper plug. Bridge it together with a paper clip and turn your key in the on position. Your check engine light will flash in a sequence. Write down the code if you arent sure what it is and let us know what it flashed. Most times if you have Fuel and Fire the next step to check is air. Common part is the MAF going out..
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean theres no CEL, so I cant check for a code, thats the problem.

So your'e thinkin I need to check the mass air flow sensor?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by G0crxG0
I mean theres no CEL, so I cant check for a code, thats the problem.

So your'e thinkin I need to check the mass air flow sensor?
yes, try another one for a few days and see what happens.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my DA does this sometimes where i turn the key and it wont start. So once you notice its not cranking you turn the key back and stop trying to start it right? When mine does that I just hold the key in the start position and after a couple of seconds, it starts. This might help if I understand your problem correctly.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So it's not that it is not starting, it is not turning over, [cranking] "the starter makes a click sound". is that correct?

If so try a bypass jump, next time it will not "start" use a jumper lead from the batt. pos.(+) to the starter solenoid control lead terminal, [smaller lead on starter motor], unplug the lead and touch the jumper lead to the terminal on the starter, BE CAREFULL, make sure car is not in gear, engine will crank even if in gear and ign. switch off.

If you still get just a click from the starter, have someone hold the key in start position, [trying to start car] wghile you give the starter motor/solenoid a few good "taps" with someting heavy, [hammer, big screw driver, wrench], if engine cranks, replace starter motor solenoid. if no diff. check the main grounds, [batt., batt. to chassis, and chassis to engine, 94
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, will try all of this. Thanks guys.

Just asking in advance, if not the MAF or starter, where would I look to next? Ive already checked and cleaned all my grounds....
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A defective "MAF" has nothing to do with engine cranking.

If engine does not crank, then it has to be the starter motor or the starter motor solenoid, because you hear a "click" at the starter motor it would indicate that the ign. switch, starter relay and "Clutch Interlock Switch". [CIS] are all good, although if it is not the starter motor that clicks but instead you are hearing the starter relay click, [bypass jump will tell] then it may just be the relay, confirm the click is coming from the starter motor.

I would also check the batt. connection to the starter motor.

One of the things that can happen that results in your symptoms is the high current connection terminal, [batt. terminal on the starter motor] can get turned a little if the cable nut is cranked too tight, it will misaligne the high current contact and the small contact area left will burn, resulting in intermittent engine cranking, repeated attempts to start the engine can/will result in contact being made, [engine cranks] this normally starts very intermittently, [once in a long while]but will get progressively worse until only repeated attempts to start the engine will work until at some point the contact is so burnt the starter no longer works.

Do the bypass jump and let me know what happens, REMEMBER make sure car is NOT in gear, you can get hurt or worse damage the car 94
Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the starter
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
A defective "MAF" has nothing to do with engine cranking.

If engine does not crank, then it has to be the starter motor or the starter motor solenoid, because you hear a "click" at the starter motor it would indicate that the ign. switch, starter relay and "Clutch Interlock Switch". [CIS] are all good, although if it is not the starter motor that clicks but instead you are hearing the starter relay click, [bypass jump will tell] then it may just be the relay, confirm the click is coming from the starter motor.

I would also check the batt. connection to the starter motor.

One of the things that can happen that results in your symptoms is the high current connection terminal, [batt. terminal on the starter motor] can get turned a little if the cable nut is cranked too tight, it will misaligne the high current contact and the small contact area left will burn, resulting in intermittent engine cranking, repeated attempts to start the engine can/will result in contact being made, [engine cranks] this normally starts very intermittently, [once in a long while]but will get progressively worse until only repeated attempts to start the engine will work until at some point the contact is so burnt the starter no longer works.

Do the bypass jump and let me know what happens, REMEMBER make sure car is NOT in gear, you can get hurt or worse damage the car 94
^^ Yep. Just hit ur starter with a metal pipe when it dosent start till you get a new one.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to clarify for future searches and stuff

the issue was the starter.

I tried everything you guys suggested and the starter was still clicking, so I pulled it off and tested it myself and sure enough it was locked up.
Got a new starter, problem solved.

Thanks again to everyone for your help