Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car wont start, I think its the alternator.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, I think its the alternator.....

Okay so I go to start my car and nothing happens. It was exactly like when you have a dead battery. So I jump the car and it starts fine. I figure it's just the battery. So when I'm driving things in my car are flickering and turning off and on. Now my car won't even start with a jump or battery charge. When I'm jumping it now it just makes a loud fast clicking noise. Do you guys agree that it is a bad alternator? Also is it easy to remove to have it checked?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bad alternator would stop the car from starting. the clicking noise could be your main relay, are all of your grounds hooked up right? i had a similar problem it was my thermostat ground

Modified by projectTeG at 10:11 PM 5/25/2006
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: (projectTeG)

just had this same problem on my teg, it turned out that the ground from the tranny to the subframe was a turn loose.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Car wont start, I think its the alternator..... (5spdIntegra)

could be the alternator check it with a test light
Old 05-25-2006, 02:53 PM

if the alternator isnt putting out any current then you wont be able to jump start it. the battery will only be able to run the car so many times for a little bit. flickering and shutting down sounds like a typical alternator, but make sure to check your battery connections and main grounds.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (billybong91DA)

Okay, thanks guys. Where are the main grounds located? I have never had to deal with them before.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (5spdIntegra)

ttt
Old 05-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (billybong91DA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by billybong91DA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the alternator isnt putting out any current then you wont be able to jump start it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you will. What does the alternator have to do with jump starting? When jump starting, you're just providing power for the starter/engine from another source. At that point, the engine isn't even running (alt not spinning at all or not spinning fast enough to put out any voltage/current). I don't see what you're trying to say. A bad alternator won't keep the engine running, but it will not prevent you from jump starting.

Modified by 02 accord at 5:37 PM 5/27/2006
Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (02 accord)

The battery is only used to start the car, you can start your car and take the battery completely out and it will stay running. If you can jump start the car and it runs for awhile then slowly starts to die, its probably the alternator. I would check that first.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's your alternator, you should be able to jump started it or have it crank at least. It sounds more like a ground problem.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM

is the negative battery terminal loose?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5spdIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay so I go to start my car and nothing happens. It was exactly like when you have a dead battery. So I jump the car and it starts fine. I figure it's just the battery. So when I'm driving things in my car are flickering and turning off and on. Now my car won't even start with a jump or battery charge. When I'm jumping it now it just makes a loud fast clicking noise. Do you guys agree that it is a bad alternator? Also is it easy to remove to have it checked?</TD></TR></TABLE>

try checking your grounds wires
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5spdIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay so I go to start my car and nothing happens. It was exactly like when you have a dead battery. So I jump the car and it starts fine. I figure it's just the battery. So when I'm driving things in my car are flickering and turning off and on. Now my car won't even start with a jump or battery charge. When I'm jumping it now it just makes a loud fast clicking noise. Do you guys agree that it is a bad alternator? Also is it easy to remove to have it checked?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you guys think it could be the ignitor?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Car wont start, I think its the alternator..... (JICmagic)

No the ground is not loose. I want to check my grounds but I don't know where they are. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:32 AM

grab a meter and voltage drop the ground side by the alternator in millivolts, if its over 100mv, it could be ******* with your computer, the a/c voltage that computers can't see, aka, noise on the wires, can wreak havoc with every processor in your car if its on the alternator side, you gotta replace the alternator in that case, if its under 100mV, you'll be alright as far as replacing ****, i'm not sure where all the ground straps are either, but i'm sure you can look around the forums and somebody's asked before
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start, I think its the alternator..... (acurarock17)

Ok guys up from the dead didnt wanna make a new thread with the same exact problem. So i'm getting mixed answers here, my problem is almost identical to the op's. My car has been running weak, lights flickering all that. Wouldn't start a couple times after maintanence (spark plugs, starter) And after checking the power of the battery it checks out fine. And it was able to jump start a few times but this time it wouldn't even make a sound. SO i'm guessing it's the alternator, is there a how-to on replacing this? TIA
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start, I think its the alternator..... (bg-33p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bg-33p &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys up from the dead didnt wanna make a new thread with the same exact problem. So i'm getting mixed answers here, my problem is almost identical to the op's. My car has been running weak, lights flickering all that. Wouldn't start a couple times after maintanence (spark plugs, starter) And after checking the power of the battery it checks out fine. And it was able to jump start a few times but this time it wouldn't even make a sound. SO i'm guessing it's the alternator, is there a how-to on replacing this? TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for help
Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bg-33p &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys up from the dead didnt wanna make a new thread with the same exact problem. So i'm getting mixed answers here, my problem is almost identical to the op's. My car has been running weak, lights flickering all that. Wouldn't start a couple times after maintanence (spark plugs, starter) And after checking the power of the battery it checks out fine. And it was able to jump start a few times but this time it wouldn't even make a sound. SO i'm guessing it's the alternator, is there a how-to on replacing this? TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>
bumppppppp
Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM

the battery light should pop up if the charging system(alternator) is doing its job while the car running..correct me if im wrong
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start, I think its the alternator..... (rocklobsta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocklobsta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the battery light should pop up if the charging system(alternator) is doing its job while the car running..correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

Problem is with me that there are no lights signaling any problems it looks normal but wont crank or anything.