Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   car won't start, ??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/car-wont-start-829576/)

94thundergrey 04-11-2004 04:20 PM

car won't start, ???

Hi:

my car won't start after someone moved it out of the garage one day ago. this is last week and i am still trying to get it fix.
pleas help me figure it out.

batery is 8 months old.
the car turns over.
there is spark on plugs. I pull pulg socket out and put a spark plug in to verify each plug wire.
more than half tank of gas in car
fuel pump is pumping when turn key to on position, i can hear the pump working in the back seat.

what else should i do without disconnecting the fuel line to check for pressure?

thanks for any inputs.

rated_r 04-11-2004 04:26 PM

Re: car won't start, ??? (94thundergrey)

most likely a crank angle sensor.. try getting a used dist. try that

94thundergrey 04-11-2004 04:37 PM

Re: car won't start, ??? (rated_r)

if I get a timing gun, can i verify the timing to say my dist is good. I got a spare dist from my friend but I don't want to start taking stuff apart and working in the wrong direction

thanks

94thundergrey 04-13-2004 06:14 PM

here is the update

I borrow a timing light and start cranking the engine. i can see the white mark on the crank pully. but the timing light does not have the advance timing funtion for me to see the red mark.
does this mean my inition system is working properly?
should i try to get a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure?
or is there anything else i should look for?

thanks for any inputs

JimBlake 04-14-2004 04:05 AM

You don't need any advance dial feature to use the timing gun. But the spark probably isn't right anyway, since the engine isn't turning as fast as it does idling...

You checked spark by pulling the plug wires & using another plug? So you haven't removed the plugs? Take 'em out & tell us what they look like. How old are they? Maybe they're fouled? If so, new plugs might be all you need to start up.

Next, while you're trying to start, do you smell gasoline at the tailpipe? Better yet, take out the spark plugs after trying to start. Do they have fuel? What I'm getting at is whether the injectors are firing. You say your fuel pump is running, but that doesn't prove the injectors are firing.

94thundergrey 04-14-2004 03:46 PM

Re: car won't start, ??? (JimBlake)

Thanks. I will look into injectors.
do injectors have there own seperate fuse?

the pugs in the car are platnium +4's and about 1 year old. so I believe the plus are not faulty.

blueeg 04-14-2004 04:04 PM

yes

MightyMouseTech 04-14-2004 05:11 PM

Re: car won't start, ??? (blueeg)

Actually, it sounds like it is flooded. Try taking out the plugs, heating them up and drying them off, reinstall, and crank it with your foot to the floor.

On second thought, I just noticed you have those crap +4 plugs in there. Pull them out, put in the factory NGK's, and THEN crank it with your foot to the floor.

integrx 04-14-2004 11:07 PM

try swaping the battery

PnX-R 04-15-2004 03:25 AM

How long has your car been sitting?.. Did you check your battery voltage?.. How fast/slow is the cranking rythm?.. And did you perform a Clear Flood during starting yet?..

JimBlake 04-15-2004 04:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94thundergrey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks. I will look into injectors.
do injectors have there own seperate fuse?

the pugs in the car are platnium +4's and about 1 year old. so I believe the plus are not faulty.</TD></TR></TABLE>On my '95 the injectors get power from fuse 7 (ECM), thru the main relay. But if that were blown, the ECM itself wouldn't have power either, and the idiot lights wouldn't come on & you wouldn't have spark.

Lots of people don't like Bosch Pt+4 plugs, but I've been using them without any troubles. If the starter cranks at it's normal speed, then the battery's OK.

94thundergrey 04-15-2004 08:15 PM

thanks for all the replies.
I will have some time to work on the car this weeken and see what happens. if I can't get it going i will have the car tow to a garage.

94thundergrey 04-18-2004 04:39 PM

just for the update. the car runs now.
what i did was keep cranking the engine til it started
i let the starter run 12 to 15 seconds and stop for 5 seconds.
it started after third try with gas pedal to the floor but it ran rough and died after 3 sec.
then I got it started after 5th try. I can't believe the battery is still this strong.
so I kept the rev up and it was ok. there was alot of white smoke coming put of the exhaust. we all believe it might be bad gas or there was condensation in the fuel line or the engine was flooded.

pretty strange thing to happen because the car only takes 2 second of cranking to start.