Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

i have an ls. i replaced the water pump and timing belt and now my car wont start for some reason. i also replaced the spark plugs and rotor and cap. still wont start. it turns over just fine and im 99 percent sure my timing belt is on right. i think its getting fuel because i can smell it when try to start it a few times in a row. i also tried to use a couple skwirts of starting fluid and still nothing. i replaced my headgasket a while back because it was spitting out sweet smelling thick white smoke and my car started fine after i did that but since i replaced the timing belt and water pump it wont start now. can someone please help?
thanks,
michael
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start

hmm try starter? if not maybe it can be a fuse?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhOSt_Db8
if it truns over starter is good check you fuel pump
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhOSt_Db8
the engine will turn over jus fine so i dont think its the starter. and i checked the fuses and they are ok. i will check them again when i get home
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1badascivic
if it truns over starter is good check you fuel pump
i can hear my fuel pump kick in when i turn the ignition on so i dont think its that
Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check for spark and compression. seems to be timing related
Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I would double check your timing belt... it sounds spark related if its not timing... you could be 180 off... i have done that before and it took me 2 days to figure it out and then bamm it hit me check my plug wires and sure enough I had them all screwed up and then it started right up!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your distributor.. check ignitior and coil
Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
check for spark and compression. seems to be timing related
ok i will check tomorrow

Originally Posted by mailetof
This game will be awesome. I had a blast playing the demo.
what game?

Originally Posted by 95GSRFullRace
I would double check your timing belt... it sounds spark related if its not timing... you could be 180 off... i have done that before and it took me 2 days to figure it out and then bamm it hit me check my plug wires and sure enough I had them all screwed up and then it started right up!
im pretty sure the timing belt is on right but i will double check.. i havent touched the spark plug wires since the engine started. so i dont think it would be that. but i'll double check on that too

Originally Posted by Slain
check your distributor.. check ignitior and coil
ignitior?..
i'll make sure to check my spark and go from there

thanks for all the help everyone
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

dam come on this had to happon to everyone in there life time, happoned to me in my si after you do the water pump you have to turn it back to the factory TDC match up the marking's it should start up then re do the timing, happoned to me same symptoms smelt gas didnt start, cranks doesnt start but it still throw's a spark, o thats right becase its not in unicin with each other give it a shot it should work and good luck p.s i know my spelling sucks
Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrharmonic
dam come on this had to happon to everyone in there life time, happoned to me in my si after you do the water pump you have to turn it back to the factory TDC match up the marking's it should start up then re do the timing, happoned to me same symptoms smelt gas didnt start, cranks doesnt start but it still throw's a spark, o thats right becase its not in unicin with each other give it a shot it should work and good luck p.s i know my spelling sucks
yeah this happened to me when i replaced my headgasket. i took the timing belt off i dont know how many times because i couldnt get it correct. i finally got it in the right spot and it started right up... i replaced my water pump probably a month after my headgasket and im 99% sure my timing belt is on right. i'll triple check tomorrow though

if anyone has anymore imput i would appriciate it
thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Did you check compression? alot of the time if you smell a sweet overpowering coolant smell it's usually a sleeve gone bad. But thats worse case scenario.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr0b0t_13
Did you check compression? alot of the time if you smell a sweet overpowering coolant smell it's usually a sleeve gone bad. But thats worse case scenario.
incorrect..sleeves dont go bad overnight
Old 12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dr0b0t_13
im going to once i get my car in the garage. i cant work on it outside because of the weather.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First check for spark, pull a plug wire, put a screwdriver into the end of it and put it close to a ground like a valve cover bolt and have someone crank it over, if there is no spark more than likely the coil went. That is what it sounds like to me, I've seen it more than I can count. If I had to bet money I would say 80% sure its a coil, or 20% ignitor, but more than likely the coil. Look at it and see if you can see any discolorization on the coil, such as blue or purplish rings.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Triple check that your cam/crank timing marks are lining up correctly since you just changed the timing belt. You want to be sure that your belt hasn't slipped a tooth or two which can happen if it isn't tensioned properly. If that is ok then next you want to double check that you placed the ignition wires in the correct sequence on the distributor cap. Either of these could be causing your no start problem. After you do get the motor running and warmed up it would also be a good idea to check your ignition timing as well. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
First check for spark, pull a plug wire, put a screwdriver into the end of it and put it close to a ground like a valve cover bolt and have someone crank it over, if there is no spark more than likely the coil went. That is what it sounds like to me, I've seen it more than I can count. If I had to bet money I would say 80% sure its a coil, or 20% ignitor, but more than likely the coil. Look at it and see if you can see any discolorization on the coil, such as blue or purplish rings.
x2 ive had the same problem before
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
ok thanks
im going to check today
Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grjr
Triple check that your cam/crank timing marks are lining up correctly since you just changed the timing belt. You want to be sure that your belt hasn't slipped a tooth or two which can happen if it isn't tensioned properly. If that is ok then next you want to double check that you placed the ignition wires in the correct sequence on the distributor cap. Either of these could be causing your no start problem. After you do get the motor running and warmed up it would also be a good idea to check your ignition timing as well. Good Luck!
im pretty sure its not my plug wires because i havent touched them since the car ran. i'll double check on my timing belt. i know its tensioned down correctly but i'll make sure all the marks line up. i just looked at it yesterday night for a couple min after i got it in the garage and i took a plug out and it looks like there is fuel build up on it. the plug was soaked. so im begining to think more and more than i have a spark issue. i'll eliminate some of those problems today

thanks everyone for your help
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know you probably covered some or all of this but:
Get a compression gauge and check compression, so you can eliminate all this timing issue thing.

Did you get the water pump for you motor with correct number of teeth?

When you put your dizzy back together, and plugged the harness in, did you make sure the harness snapped back together- could be slightly not connected.

Firing order correct?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twentyhurtz
i know you probably covered some or all of this but:
Get a compression gauge and check compression, so you can eliminate all this timing issue thing.

Did you get the water pump for you motor with correct number of teeth?

When you put your dizzy back together, and plugged the harness in, did you make sure the harness snapped back together- could be slightly not connected.

Firing order correct?
it was the ignition coil. i got it replaced and it started right up