Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

Started up car today and drove for about 50m before it conked out. Tried starting it again and it started but died straight away. Did this a couple more times before it just wouldnt start at all. It cranks over all good it just wont fire and start running. All the belts are ok. The power steering wont work with the key on all the way (dont know if thats related at all). Any ideas what could be wrong? Also yesterday when I took it for a drive it cranked for a few seconds longer than normal before it started which I found really weird at the time.

1991 integra
b16a
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont start

Have you test for spark and/or fuel? Sounds more like no fuel than no spark, but test for spark anyway. Check your distributor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs for spark.

For fuel....check your main relay? Is it clicking when you turn on the ignition? If not, then it either is broken or it's not getting power from the battery through the harness plug.

Check all those before you start replacing parts. Or you will just waste your money on new parts. Also, borrow known working parts from your friends to test on your car.

I'm sure there are other things to check, but start with spark and fuel. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the power steering won't work unless the motor is running
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by DA9_SE

For fuel....check your main relay? Is it clicking when you turn on the ignition? If not, then it either is broken or it's not getting power from the battery through the harness plug.

I tried starting the car again today and it started but then died straight away... tried it again and it idled perfectly fine for about 5 seconds then stopped. There was also a weird sound coming from the front and back of car while the key was on. This makes me think it may be the relay?? How do I check the relay? Not sure where I would find it....
Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm.....I'm not a mechnic so I'm just advising you from my own personal experiences.

If you car starts, then it might not be your main relay. If you want to test it anyway, it is right underneath the driver lower panel (the panel where the coin tray is). You have to take out the coin tray. Carefully pry it out releasing the side hook. If you do it wrong, the hook(s) will break and the tray won't hold anymore when you install it. There are three screws holding up the panel. There is one on the right, one on the left, and one at the inner top of the coin tray. Once those screws are out, slightly push up and pull.

BECAREFUL, SOMETIMES THE PANEL CAN BE HELD IN PRETTY TIGHTLY WITH THE CLIPS THAT ARE HOLDING IT IN PLACE. IF YOU DON'T DO IT PROPERLY, YOU CAN BREAK THE PANEL OR THE CLIPS.

Once the panel is out, you will see a black and brown relay bolt together with a 10mm screw. The main relay is the brown one.

If you don't want to pull out the panel and take out the main relay, you can just pull the harness plug out by crawling way underneath the panel. When you're underneath, look up. You can see the main relay (brown). Reach up, push in the harness clip and pull off the harness plug. From here, you can use a voltmeter or a test light to see if there is continuity (power) to the main relay. If I remember correctly, the power wire should be the WHT/YEL wire. There has to be a good amount of power coming to the main relay for it to work properly. I don't know the amount of voltage that is needed, but I know that if you use a test light, the light has to be lit fully. Anything less than a full light means there is not enough power.

If all this checks out okay, then I don't know, maybe your fuel pump is not pumping fuel consistantly and needs to be replace. Let's hope that this is not the case because the pump is $150+ ($320+ for OEM) and you'll have to drop the gas tank. It's a pain in the butt to drop the tank. I had to do it twice. It's not hard. Just time consuming, dirty and smelly (gas). DON'T SMOKE WHILE YOU'RE DOING THIS! Hahaha, it actually says this in big bold letters in the service manual.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

iam having the same problem on my brothers auto integra LS,,i takes a while for it 2 start ..it clicks over but just a pain 2 turn on..when on its fine but then i'll drive it and it bogs out,then drops rpm, if any body can help i'd apreciate it,iam gessing it has 2 do with the the MAp sensor..hit me back up..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM

possibly semi clogged injectors. or a super filthy air filter. just maybe something simple. maybe semi clogged fuel filter. thats where id start..cap rotor.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the air filters clean,but when it wont start i take the MAP sensor off and it kicks over and turns on, any other ideas?