Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car will only crank . Only starts when I hold down gas pedal before trying to start

Old 01-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will only crank . Only starts when I hold down gas pedal before trying to start

Hi, I’m new to Honda tech and fairly new to cars in general. I got a 95 Acura integra ls with some problems starting up . Sometime when I start it will start right away without a problem . Other times it will only crank and not fire up leaving me to trying to start my car for up to an hour . Just recently I discovered it will start more often when I hold down the gas pedal before trying to start it. It idles just fine , it’s just the starting up part. Everything is stock to the bone. Just recently got a tune up. Didn’t get fuel filter replaced though. Can anyone help me out ???
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Car will only crank . Only starts when I hold down gas pedal before trying to sta

Definitely try replacing your fuel filter. I noticed mine started up noticeably better after changing it. It's pretty easy and cheap to do. Just make sure to de pressurize your fuel system before (as much as one can do) and have a rag handy when you crack open the lines to the filter.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car will only crank . Only starts when I hold down gas pedal before trying to sta

@jdmark1 Hi I replaced the fuel filter and still no luck..., anything else that it could be ?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Because it idles fine and drives fine (presumably), I feel like it has to do with the fuel delivery system. Maybe get your fuel pressure checked to diagnose any fuel pump issues. If it is an issue with that system, instead of holding down the gas peddle before you turn it on you could try priming the fuel pump a few times sorta like you do with a lawn mower... turn the key to the second mark but stop before you actually turn it to start the engine. You should hear the fuel pump whining for a moment and then click off. Do this three or four times and then try to turn the engine over. Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Did a tune up" can mean anything....
OEM spark plugs/cap/rotor/wires?
Spark plugs gapped correctly?
Valve lash with in spec?
Ignition timing correct?
Mechanical timing correct?
MAP/TPS/Intake temp/Coolant temp all reading within spec?
Fuel pressure okay?
Fuel injectors spray pattern and flow rate optimal?

After that I would start diagnosing the main relay, distributor and fuel system.