Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car parked outside for winter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Car parked outside for winter...

I will be gone for most of the winter up here in Maine/NH and will not be able to drive my car and unfortunately, will have to leave it parked outside. All I can think of to prep for leaving it outside is regular **** like oil change (5w30 mobil 1 synth), fuel stabilizer, coolant/water % check, disconnect the battery, and check all of my other fluids. Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do to help make sure the combination of cold *** weather and not driving/starting the car doesn't mess anything up while I'm gone?

Also, when I do get back and it's still shitty out, are there any special procedures to take before I start my car for the first time after sitting for such a long time?

I've lived down south most of my life and have never had to leave a car parked outside for an extended period of time in cold weather like it gets up here. I also searched about winterizing, but what came up was mostly about getting your car ready to drive in the winter.

Any input is appreciated
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Car parked outside for winter...

i would just take out the battery and keep it inside so it doesnt die from sitting in the cold. and sitting outside wont hurt anything, i would just cover her up with a car cover
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just do normal "letting car sit" stuff. your brake pads will likely seize to the rotors once they get wet and rust a little. if you pull the battery you'll need a radio security code if you have one. i always make sure to wash my car in the winter a few times to prevent salt build up. if yours won't be driven or parked in the street, this may not be an issue. if you will be near the car, fuel stabilizer and pulling the battery are not required if you can start it every so often. i don't winterize my motorcycle i just start it and let it warm up every few weeks if i'm not riding in january and february (although usually i do!).
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea, just "prep" the car for the winter. it'll be alright.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would echo the advice given so far. If the battery maintains a full charge it shouldn't freeze if left in the car, but removing it would be better. Also, in addition to checking the coolant ratio (i.e. freezing point) I would also suggest checking the acidity of it, or just do a coolant system flush and refill if it hasn't been done in a while. There are also "fogging" sprays available that are designed to keep the top end lubricated while in storage. I'd look into that if it's going to be sitting for a very long period.

My only counterpoint would be if the car is going to be subjected to frequent freeze/thaw cycles during the winter, then a car cover may do more harm than good. Cheap ones tend to trap moisture.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, I won't be around to start it or anything, I'll be out to sea. Good call on taking the battery out completely, I was just planning on disconnecting it, I forgot that it could freeze if it gets too.

I'll wash it one more good time and throw another coat of sealant on it and hope a snow plow doesn't run over it like my buddy's car, haha.

The coolant shouldn't be an issue, my coolant system is all brand new pretty much, so hopefully that doesn't get ruined, but my luck, it'll all freeze and need to be replaced. I just changed my oil today, so that's good too. What should I do about my brakes? You think they'll seize up bad?

I was reading a little about the spray fogging, does anyone else do this?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Montana and have had to park outside for long stretches in the winter, although I do try to drive if the roads are clear. Just do what the other people are talking about and it'll be fine. To protect the brakes, I guess maybe you should pull the brake pads off before you go. Maybe this is overkill, but sometimes I bag my rotors to keep them from rusting. Snow will get EVERYWHERE if you park on a street that gets the center plowed.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM

I was told that you shouldn't park it with the E-Break either and just park it in gear. Reason is because your breaks will expand and shrink with the cold weather and this causes the E-Break line to keep stretching out as the breaks expand. So when it comes time to drive the car again, you'll let the E-Break down and when you go to use it... It'll snap.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, that's interesting about the E-break, anyone else ever hear about that?

It'll be parked in a big parking lot with other cars sitting for long periods of time on base, so hopefully the plows won't be going nuts in there.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Parking brake cables can sieze up but it has nothing to do with expansion or contraction of the brake rotors. The linkages tend to sieze if the brake is left engaged (or disengaged) for a long period of time. So it's more likely that if you left the parking brake engaged all winter that you wouldn't be able to release it when you return. Leaving it in gear would probably be a better option. Either way, you may want to grease all the linkages before you leave. A parking brake that doesn't see regular use can lock up the first time you engage it.

A 50/50 coolant mix should protect down to -34 deg F, which should be sufficient. 50/50 works for me and I'm quite sure it gets colder here than it does in New Hampshire.

I think no matter what you do the rotors will rust. After all, they do flash-rust in a matter of hours. Bagging them with something that doesn't trap moisture may help a bit, but I think bagging them in plastic would actually make the problem worse.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you talked with the other people at the base to see what they do? There isn't really anything different about Integras when it comes to this stuff.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Have you talked with the other people at the base to see what they do? There isn't really anything different about Integras when it comes to this stuff.
Yeah, I have and they don't do anything, that's why their cars are always dead when we get back and no one cares about their car at all in the first place, they don't even do regular normal maintenance like oil changes close to scheduled intervals if at all. That's why I asked on here. I would have asked if I drove a Ford Explorer, what I drive is irrelevant really, but there's not much I can do, except normal ****, I guess.