Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car lagging

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car lagging

Yesterday i took my car to my mechanic to replace my valve cover gasket. My spark plugs had been drained in oil, he cleaned them but we did not replace them. While under my valve cover, he pointed out that my valve head bolts were loose which were causing my car to run on 3 cylinders instead of 4. He torqued them to im guessing how they were supposed to be. So after everything was done, i turned on my car but ot turned on weak as if it wanted to die out. He said its fine, just drive it around and itll be back in order. I drove it around and it was running smoothly nice and clean. Not loud as before. But then my problem started when i kept almost getting hit cause my car was lagging on me it would stop accelerating and turn off. It started turning off at every red light and stop sign when i pressed my break. My throttle cable became unconnected so we fixed that, but the problem continued. Now when i try to drive my break pedal doesnt go down just a little and my gas pedal is all the way to the floor. My car only turns on if i rev my engine, otherwise it will turn off on me. Just trying to figure out if he could of done something wrong or if its just my throttle cable. He did say it was loose and that i need to take it back to him to properly tighten it. Je also said my idle had been low from running on 3 cylinders and he adjusted it to 4 cylinders so it hasnt really been turning off on me, just sometimes when i cant press down on my gas pedal. But other than that, my car turns on fine and sounds fine.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car lagging

Pedal to the floor and him saying it's loose kind of says the pedal issue. Cable either needs to be replaced or properly tensioned and tightened. As for it dying on you I would absolutely replace the spark plugs to start considering you said they were covered in oil. As for the brake pedal only moving slightly, it's heavily influenced by engine vacuum since the brake booster helps out a lot. So if the car isn't running properly/idling properly you will get very little assist. That "problem" will more than likely resolve itself once the car runs correctly.

-Amp
Old 09-23-2016, 11:24 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Car lagging

Ditto the above, first thing is to solve the gas pedal issue, once that has been done an idle adjustment can be made, as mentioned that may solve the brake problem.
I would also check foe vacuum leaks. 94