Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car just cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just cranks but no start

Hi guys i have my buddy's gsr right now. Lately, he's been having a rev limit problem and it wouldn't let him go past 5 or 6 k. So he took it to a place called One 6 motor sports, they told him the reason was because his Vtec controller was wired up incorrectly so they re-wired it. After that, his car was givin back and he realized his Vtec wasn't working. So he took it back and they told him it was his vtec controller, it's messed up and not doing what it should so he asked me to remove it. Therfore, I just cut all the wires at once and took off the vtec controller. Ever since that day i took it off, the car seemed like it wanted to bog and die out in every gear BUT the vtec controller had no settings done to it what so ever so performance wouldn't of been affected. I told him to drop it off my house and the day i worked on it, started it up... ran for a few seconds and died. Then it would just crank but not start. I always hear the fuel pump priming every time i put the key in the on position. I checked for spark, there's spark. i even dc the line before and after the fuel filter to see if it was receiving fuel and it was, all the way up to the injectors. He has an aftermarket fuel pressure guage and when it DOES start which was only twice or 3 times and ran for a few minutes, the gauge reads about 45 psi. Then it shuts off, guage drops to 0 psi and it would just crank again. no pressure. Blocked off and even took off the return line after the fuel regulator, nothing comes out or sign of leakage. I replaced the fuel filter as well. He told me there's an aftermarket fuel pump in it brand new. and a fuel pressure regulator as well if that helps.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Car just cranks but no start

Either the fuel pump is bad or the PGM-FI Main Relay is bad or possibly a wiring issue to the PGM-FI Main Relay or the fuel pump, no fuel pressure means no fuel.

An intermittent problem with the PGM-FI Main Relay is common on older Honda/Acura, [you did not give a MM&Y of car]... http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html 94
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt it's the relay because I always hear the priming when I put it on the on pisition
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by lifes_simple
I doubt it's the relay because I always hear the priming when I put it on the on pisition
"priming" or not, no fuel pressure means no fuel, pump is running but not pumping or there is a restriction in the line. 94
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its like at least twice a week someone posts this lol

FCM you should just write a thread to test fuel/spark for these guys save yourself the energy. Your quite good at explaining things it would help alota guys
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Then what would I do with my time while having my morning coffee,? 94
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Then what would I do with my time while having my morning coffee,? 94
lol ..u gave me some good insight thnks much appreciated
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem and it was a bad fuse for my walbro fuel pump. The fuse was conneted to the actual power wire strung from the battery diretly to the fuel pump relay under the back seat. Still learning about the previous owner's craftmanship lol