Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Can I bar? (NOOB here) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/can-i-bar-noob-here-2664142/)

BRIANxJDM 10-15-2009 08:32 AM

Can I bar? (NOOB here)

can i bar a 98+ spec b18 type r
with a DC CARB header
AEM CARB Cold Air?
and stock Honda HOP Integra Type-R B-pipe (Extended for my DB) with spoon street axle back?

CeReal 10-15-2009 01:47 PM

Re: Can I bar? (NOOB here)

i know i forgot something, just cant put my finger on it...

TunerN00b 10-15-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by BRIANxJDM (Post 40302870)
can i bar a 98+ spec b18 type r
with a DC CARB header
AEM CARB Cold Air?
and stock Honda HOP Integra Type-R B-pipe (Extended for my DB) with spoon street axle back?

If the car this is going into is a 98 or older model.

A US B18C5, yes, assuming that the CAI and header are for an ITR, and assuming that you carried all emissions components over.

A JDM B18C Type-R, no, unless you have an ITR now. Then it can be considered a replacement engine.

BRIANxJDM 10-15-2009 03:56 PM

i have heard that someone had their jdm b18c bar, and it has to be from the same car year and kind. and what got me confuse was that when my homie bought his del sol there was a bar sticker for a b18c5.

SergEK 10-15-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRIANxJDM (Post 40308164)
i have heard that someone had their jdm b18c bar, and it has to be from the same car year and kind. and what got me confuse was that when my homie bought his del sol there was a bar sticker for a b18c5.

B18C5 is a US motor -- one of the reasons I chose the C5 over the B18C R motor was Cali smog laws and that was in 2002...now its a circus...as far as I understand it if its JDM it has to be a replacement engine aka you would need a GSR to put a B18C motor into OR its already BAR'd for that engine and its a replacement if you own a Deli or something like that.

Bottom line...Cali is making it tougher for auto enthusiasts and its probably not going to get any easier.

I am actually working on a legit "workaround" for people that are stuck in Cali and want to remain Honda enthusiasts. If and when I am successful you can bet I will put the word out.

BRIANxJDM 10-15-2009 04:24 PM

i see because i want to get shit ready for when i start my db build. at one point i was planning to buy a low mile gsr and take the motor out and put it into my db and then sell the shell. but i have another year til college. so that aint going to work with my money problem

suspendedHatch 10-15-2009 07:30 PM

You used to be able to swap to a USDM intake manifold and hook up all the smog equipment. But recently they changed the law so IDK.

OBD2 makes it more difficult. You will have to have your car's VIN programmed into the ECU for the engine you're putting in. The Acura dealership is the only one that can do it.

The CARB rules are online and with some searching "engine change", you can dig it up.

TegRr 10-15-2009 08:17 PM

Rule of thumb is everything that was installed with that motor from the factory needs to stay together. So, you'll have to convert to OBD2 (since the Type Rs in the US is OBD2)and include all the smog equipment. Like the purge canister. Including the gauge cluster for OBD2. If it's a JDM motor then you'll have to swap out the complete head out to a GSR. Now you can do an OBD1 conversion since GSRs was first released as OBD1 (recommend). But understand that every ref station is different and can have different requirements whether wrong or right. Also, you just can't go to a ref and ask him what you need. They'll want you to do the work, take your money then tell you what you did it wrong then come back again.

BRIANxJDM 10-15-2009 08:23 PM

damn its so hard to find a 98+ gsr sedan!

a97b18b 10-15-2009 08:40 PM

damn, must suck to live in Cali. I was born there but moved at a young age and I've always wanted to move back. It's no likely that'll happen specially w/ how strict they are w/ cars.

BRIANxJDM 10-15-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by a97b18b (Post 40311525)
damn, must suck to live in Cali. I was born there but moved at a young age and I've always wanted to move back. It's no likely that'll happen specially w/ how strict they are w/ cars.

i really do love cali, but i hate all the stupid car laws