Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

93 Integra Speedometer Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Integra Speedometer Help

My 1993 Integra base model has a 1.8 L with 160k and the original motor and original clutch. She's had no mods, and always gets regular service and much care.

The speedometer has begun bouncing while accelerating and is accompanied by an annoying squealing sound. The belts are new, and the noise only happens while the car is moving with no sounds at dead stop.

I assume I take the gauges cover off, and get to the speedo cable like that. After that, what should I do?

I bought the car with 59k, and the timing belt was changed then. That was in 2001. Is it worth changing the timing belt at this point? Any price guess on how much?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 PM

speedo cable is probably dried out. take off cluster, and unclip the cable. then take off other end from tranny, and lube the cable up with grease. that should fix the bouncing and the squeeking sound. as for the timing belt, replace the water pump while you are at it. i was able to replace mine in a few hours. not sure how much a shop will charge, but you are better off getting a buddy or two who know's what they are doing, and buy a 24 pack and pizza for their troubles.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you never did a g2 before, you're in for a headache.

Goto g2ic.com/forums and do some research first before you remove the tach/cluster.
Just search "cluster removal".

GL with that.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help, Stoeles g2 and bobbysking.

Unfortunately, I can't find any step by step directions from g2ic.com. I tried a cluster removal search, and couldn't come up with anything.

About how long should it take to get the cluster off and lube the wires you speak of?

This is the best car I've ever had, and I want to keep her, but I have to deal with this annoying squeal before it drives me crazy.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Removing isnt as hard as the install. The cable in the back of the cluster is held in by a plastic clip, before you try undoing the clip and removing the cable, check to see if it is still totally plugged in. If the cable is not completely installed it will cause the cluster to jump and make a noise. First unscrew the cluster and try to reach behind, hope you got small hands, and try to push the cable in to make sure its fully seated in the back of the cluster, then drive the car to see if the problem is still there. You wanna try to do everything you can without having to remove the cluster because it is almost impossible to reinstal the cable plug. Problem is those cables are not long enough, so to reinstall the cluster has to almost cmpletely back in the dash for the cable to reach, which doesnt give you enough room to reach behind the cluster to plug the cable back in. I just replaced the cluster in my teg and i still have cuts all over my hand and arm from trying to reach back there. good luck
Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll find a few tips in here. http://g2ic.com/tegtips/
Look under interior, then indiglo install, speedo cable, cluster install, and more.

For more info, please search in the forums.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Genetically Gay

drop the steerin column under dash to make lil space to remove/installed cluster.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is a total train wreck. you DO NOT need to remove your cluster. simply find your speedo cable where it goes into the top of the tranny, remove the boot. then pull out the speedo cable from the sheathing, and spray generously with white lithium grease. now slide it back in the sheathing all the way until you feel it slide back into its position, and pop the boot/speedo cable back into the tranny. thats it.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 93 integra speedo remove cluster or not?

Great job on the speedo cable advice, but we have differing opinions on my problem.

Now what?

If you were me, would you

a. Remove the cluster

or

b. simply find your speedo cable where it goes into the top of the tranny, remove the boot. then pull out the speedo cable from the sheathing, and spray generously with white lithium grease. now slide it back in the sheathing all the way until you feel it slide back into its position, and pop the boot/speedo cable back into the tranny
Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Squealing noise solved, but.......

Okay guys,

I took the speedo cable off of the top of the tranny, and the sound is now gone. I put some heavy duty gaffers tape on the hole to prevent dirt from getting down in there. My 1.8 purrs like a kitten, but my speedo, trip tach, and important tach are now not functioning along with the check engine like glowing brightly. I didn't know that all of those ran off of the same cable.

I'll try and lube the cable with the white lithium grease and reinsert it into the tranny, but if that doesn't work, what is my next step?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never had that problem so I didn't know about plan B.
Learn something new all the time.

As for your problem, try taking it off and do it again. You must not have it all the way in or inserted incorrectly.
The speedo/odometer runs off the cable spinning inside of the tach.

You covered the hole with tape?
Wait, did you even put the cable back into the tranny???
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey stokeles,

I did not put the cable back into the tranny. I wanted to see if that was the issue, and the speedo cable was at fault for the noise. I could live without driving with a speedo, but the odometer is a must. I guess the speedo cable that I unplugged has an engine light sensor which was triggered.

I'll try the white lithium grease on that end, but I'm worried that the noise will still persist since is at the other end of the speedo cable behind the gauges.

I'll have to drive a day or two with the cable out, so I better drive slow!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh, OK.

Try reseting your ECU and see if the code disappears.

When I removed my cluster, I didn't have the speedo cable plugged back in correctly, and my speedo stop working on me too, but my car never threw no CEL.

Hopefully regreasing your cable will work for ya. Because replacing the speedo cable would involve removing the cluster, and that's a B****.

GL
Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as your clip is fastened behind your cluster, you can slide it out from the other end with no problem. what you are removing is the wire inside the cable, like i said it slides out of the sheathing. for review, pop off the boot on the tranny side, then pull out the wire inside the speedo cable. spray it down, then slide it back in. you should feel it slide into place and pop into its position behind the cluster. your speedometer/odometer works off this cable. your tach is separate and shouldnt be affected by doing this.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I'll try it tonight

Thanks Hondretti,I'll try and lube the cable tonight, and report back on my work. It's nice not having the sound anymore, but not odometer and trip odometer is tough and probably illegal.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice call, Hondretti! You are the man, unless you are the girl in your picture, then that is even cooler!

The speedo cable came out easily, and I lubed the @#$@#$ out of it with the white lithium grease. After my test drive, the speedo, tach, and road trip gauge are back, and there is no noise or speedo bounce while accelerating.

Thanks to all who helped solve my annoying problem!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol no problem bro.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 AM

if check engine light came on only after you unplugged the cable, then the code should be vehicle speed sensor. once you plug it back in later, it should go off.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default No CEL

Hello,

The CEL is no longer on, and my car is back to sounding nice and quiet.

That bad speedo cable noise was very annoying.

Now its time to decide on the water pump and timing belt.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 93 Integra Speedometer Help

Originally Posted by StokelesS_g2
If you never did a g2 before, you're in for a headache.

Goto g2ic.com/forums and do some research first before you remove the tach/cluster.
Just search "cluster removal".

GL with that.
I second this comment. I would like to meet the engineer who designed the dashboard setup and give him a piece of my mind. Seems like it was designed to never be taken apart, ever.

I thought changing the cable was a simply task, but HELL NO! My whole dashboard is out of the car now. There was no way I could do it without taking out the dashboard. The cable was hook tied behind the dashboard and between the vents.

Just thought I give my two cents about this topic.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Integra Speedometer Help

LoL!!

I must have removed my cluster about 6-8 times already since I've owned my g2 Integra.
It's a fun task everytime.

I've been in g2ic.com for about 7yrs now, and It's the best site for those of you who want to learn, fix, mod, or customize your g2 Integras'.