Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Broken Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Pulley Bolt

The pulley bolt broke the other day on my 2001 GSR. I was about 5 miles from my house and crossed some rail road tracks. Soon as I got over the tracks I heard a squeaking noise and the wheel was hard to turn. I thought something was stuck in the wheel well because my car is lowered. I got out and didn't see anything. I hopped back in and noticed the battery light was on also. I drove home slowly and pulled it in the garage.

I got it up on jackstands and pulled the splash shield and this fell out.

The key looks like it snapped in half and was sitting inside of the pulley.

This is the side of the pulley that sits beside timing belt pulley.

This is the timing belt pulley. It looks like the slot for the key was damaged and some plastic on the timing belt cover got scraped up.

Here is another shot.

This is the timing belt page from the factory service manual.

I searched around and read some posts about the pulley bolt breaking and that it can throw off you timing and damage the valves. I didn't realize that the key held the timing pulley and the crank pulley on to the crankshaft. Since the key snapped in half and didn't fall out completely, I think I came away without bending any valves but I'll do a leakdown once I get the car back on the ground.

The 2 main questions I have are, what would be the best way to get the rest of the bolt out and can the car be driven the way it is.

I have read on HT that some people have been having luck using an easy out, but if that doesn't work it looks like the only option would be taking the crank to a machine shop. Should I try it myself or just take the car to honda and let them work on it?

Also, since the the key is still in the timing pulley, I am assuming the timing is still ok along with the valves. Ignoring that the car has no way to run the alternator and power steering, is it ok to drive the car missing the crank pulley? The reason is, I don't store the car in my garage for the winter and if it it drivable, i would prep it for storage and take care of the whole deal next spring.

Any advice, knowledge, insight or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Broken Pulley Bolt (_decker)

omg! dude thats intense! no ur timing is fine, the only thing i can think of is drilling it out but ur risking damaging the crank! u can try and using a punch and chisel set try hammering it out with a punch, be very carefull , also consider an air hammer with a flat chisel but again be extremely carefull, little by little hammer it out
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Pulley Bolt (db1_jdm)

wow thats bad news
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so u know.... the crank pulley has absolutely nothing to do with the timming....

the only way it could affect timming is if all the plastic covers are off anf the timming belt walks off the crank or the cam gears...

that bolt looks like it was overtightened....

Everyone and their grandma uses air tools to tighten that bolt instead of tightning it to spec.... and that bolt only gets tighter with time... so its not a good idea to tighten it too much....

that may have or not been what happened here or maybe u hit something on the tracks that broke off the pulley but is the pulley damaged at all??

just drill out the crank.... carefully. then rethread it even if u do it perfect.... buy a new bolt and washer from honda and reinstall it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

DAM THAT BLOWS, I wouldn't take it to honda. That kinda work is a arm and a leg. If you are able to try to do it your self. good luck
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

I've owned the car since 2004 and bought it with 32K and I have never taken the pulley off. I inspected the pulley and it looks alright, depending on how much it costs from honda, I may just buy a new one.

As to the question about the timing, I read some older posts that that when something like that gets damaged, it could do something to the timing. I am quite careful when I go over track and bumps, I didn’t see anything on the road but maybe there was. Its just strange how the bolt just snapped off like that.

I know I’m going to have to drill out the rest of the bolt, and get a new one but what about the key? It looks like it holds on the timing and crank pulley. How difficult is it to remove the rest of the key and put on a new one? Also, what would be the easiest way to set the motor to TDC so I can align the marks properly?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this happend once to my bros si coupe and he cudnt resue same crank pulley so just to let you know you need a new or another pulley cuz the teeth inside are all jacked up, but this happens if you do not tighten the bolt hard enough i use my compressor and tighten it at 150psi or more
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Pulley Bolt (DOHCgarage919)

btw when this happned to my bro the bolt didnt break it just came off im still thinking why ur bolt snapped
Old 10-26-2007, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_decker)

NO it is definitely NOT ok to drive the car without the pulley and bolt. the washer/pulley/bolt is responsible for timing belt alignment and prevents the belt from walking off any of the gears in the system.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _decker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know I’m going to have to drill out the rest of the bolt, and get a new one but what about the key? It looks like it holds on the timing and crank pulley. How difficult is it to remove the rest of the key and put on a new one? Also, what would be the easiest way to set the motor to TDC so I can align the marks properly?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck drilling that out and getting a bolt back in it. that key does nothing except prevent the crank pulley from spinning on the crank.

there's a second key inside the timing belt pulley that prevents it from spinning on the crank.

unless your timing belt jumped, it's "fine". pull the pulley off, the timing belt covers and rotate the engine manually until you can verify everything is still at TDC.

bolt failure is likely due to heating it with a torch, overtightening with impact tools or cross-threading it in the crank. for every critical bolt, i thread it on by hand, snug it down with a ratchet then torque to spec.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (_decker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _decker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've owned the car since 2004 and bought it with 32K and I have never taken the pulley off. I inspected the pulley and it looks alright, depending on how much it costs from honda, I may just buy a new one.

As to the question about the timing, I read some older posts that that when something like that gets damaged, it could do something to the timing. I am quite careful when I go over track and bumps, I didn’t see anything on the road but maybe there was. Its just strange how the bolt just snapped off like that.

I know I’m going to have to drill out the rest of the bolt, and get a new one but what about the key? It looks like it holds on the timing and crank pulley. How difficult is it to remove the rest of the key and put on a new one? Also, what would be the easiest way to set the motor to TDC so I can align the marks properly?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont worry about lining it up to top dead center... if u put the pulley back on with the key then it will automatically be in the right position.... at that point turn the crank till the markings on the pulley line up with the plastic line on the lower timing belt cover that tells u the engine is at TDC for cylinder 1 and 4. at this point... look at the cam gears. they have markings on them as well... they should be the same and pointing up... if they are then your timming belt defitnatly didnt skip timming.

Just drill out the bolt with a high strenght drill bit.. .start with a small one and work up bigger and bigger... thats the only safe way to do it.. dont go in with a big one off hte bat.

after you have everything back on it should be totally normal again... add a tiny bit of oil to the threads of the crank pulley bolt since ur putting it through all this stress.

that bolt from honda i think is gona be like around 15$... but honestly diff honda dealerships sometimes charge diff things ive seen online is always way cheaper...

if ur strapped for cash go to a junkyard and jack one from a bseries engine.. but its gona be a bitch to get it off... unless u have the right tools...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a machine shop weld a L shaped rod to the end of the remaining threads and turn it loose.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as it's not cross threaded, a simple bolt easy-out should remove what's remaining. there should be very little resistance on the remaining threads.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-DC2-)

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully everything goes well when I start working on this.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM

you are in bad shape, you can drill it, or an easy out, or like you said put it in the hands of a professional. may the force be with you!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Broken Pulley Bolt (GSR-TRBO-DA)

You need to buy a new crank to make it right again...sorry...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey same thing happened to me. I had to drill a little hole in the bolt and then used a reverse drill or something like that to take it out. No problem with that. Good luck!!!