Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Brake nighmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake nighmare

1994 Integ RS (Model w/o ABS)
I had developed a Leak in the brake system which has gotten so bad that I have to refil the reservoir every 3-4 days.
I assumed It was the lines since they're stanky rubber on a 8+ yr old chassis So I dropped the $ for some goodrich SS lines.
Installed yesterday and found 2 things:
1 lines did not fix the leak (rear pass side) so I'm assuming the leak is the Caliper now (fluid is 'dripping' from near where the line bolts onto the caliper. I figure I can get a caliper from any integra 94+ (RS/LS/GS/GSR all same for rear brakes right????)
Tried to bleed the brakes w/ a friend who has done them before and running into some problems.
we bleed the system and the pedal has good solid feel.
Turn the car on and that feel turns to S___.
Try turning car on and bleeding again w/ car on - its fine until you turn car off and turn it back on.
Do we have MASS air in the lines or could that leak in the caliper be causing the system not to pressurze?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I can fix this myself w/o having to stoop to the level of having a shop do it.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake nighmare (coil222)

ALSO...
Does it matter if the Ebrake is engauged.
Should the reservoir be open or closed during bleeding?
Old 08-15-2002, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forget but aren't there washers where the lines connect to the caliper also? did you remember to replace those? jack up and raise the car on jack stands.. make sure its safe to get under the car then have a friend jam on the brake you suspect repeatedly while your under there looking at the leak to see where its originating from..

as for massive air in the lines.. when I replaced the master cylinder.. I ran about 3 bottles (from those brake bleeder kit/bottles) of brake fluid out or EACH caliper before I got ALL the air in the lines out... have you checked to see if the master cyl is leaking anywhere? I just replaced mine.. so thats something to check.. but yeah have a buddy press the brake repeatedly while you look to see if you can find any leaks anywhere... if your losing that much (the whole reservoir in 3 days).. you should be able to see where its leaking pretty quick..
Old 08-15-2002, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it matters if the E-brake is engaged..I usually bleed w/ the master cyl cap on and take it off each time I refill it then cap it back...
Old 08-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake nighmare (GSRaCeRbOI)

I did replace the crush washers, they came w/ the kit, 2 for each bolt.
We have car up on 4 stands w/ wheels off.
I don't think the MS is leaking, I am seeing fluid on the Rear Pass caliper but nothing out of the ordinary in the engine bay.
We've flushed 2.5 32 OZ bottles of Dot 4 valvoline through the system.