Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Blown diff? Trans? GSR

Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown diff? Trans? GSR

Hey guys,

Maybe you guys can help me troubleshoot this before I pull the trans for nothing.

Problem: Car shakes laterally under load (deceleration / acceleration or climbing hills). When I say laterally, I mean side-to-side not up and down like an out-of-balance wheel. Shaking stops when I take it out of gear or push in the clutch. Shaking is most defined in 4th or 5th gears. Shaking is noticable in 3rd and not really in 1st or 2nd. Shaking turns to a violent clunking when rapidly accelerating or accelerating while turning. There is also a clunk when I shift gears (sounds like the transmission gears are coming to a stop to allow the gear change) it's not a motor clunk.

What I've checked: Motor mounts - good
axles - new and no play
wheel bearings - no play
Upper A-arms - bolts tight

It's a stock GSR trans and diff with 144,000 miles and always had Mobil 1 in it.

Thanks for any help,
Dave
Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown diff? Trans? GSR (SGVridgerunner)

only take me 30min to take the tranny out.
try swtiching with another one
Old 10-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown diff? Trans? GSR (kpop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only take me 30min to take the tranny out.
try swtiching with another one</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats gotta be the quickest, one-man tranny ability I've ever heard of.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown diff? Trans? GSR (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats gotta be the quickest, one-man tranny ability I've ever heard of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he steals cars for a living

My buddy and I did a complete tranny swap from start to finish in 56 minutes on my GSR. This was with a lift and air tools.

Back on topic: When you jack the car up and spin one tire does the other turn smoothly? Have you drained the tranny oil to look for metal in the oil? Have you replaced both axles since this problem to know for sure it's not axles?

Old 10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown diff? Trans? GSR (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he steals cars for a living

My buddy and I did a complete tranny swap from start to finish in 56 minutes on my GSR. This was with a lift and air tools.

Back on topic: When you jack the car up and spin one tire does the other turn smoothly? Have you drained the tranny oil to look for metal in the oil? Have you replaced both axles since this problem to know for sure it's not axles?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something about the lift and air tools makes a difference. Its taking the lower half of the exhaust manifold off to get to the bracket bolts that always got me......more so the stripped *** bolts.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown diff? Trans? GSR (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Something about the lift and air tools makes a difference. Its taking the lower half of the exhaust manifold off to get to the bracket bolts that always got me......more so the stripped *** bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

swivel sockets FTW!