Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Bleeding Brakes. Do you also have to bleed abs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Brakes. Do you also have to bleed abs?

Hi there. I have a question about the abs system on 94-97 integra's

When bleeding the brakes do you also have to bleed the abs unit as well to have a really firm pedal? i bleed my brakes twice and no air at all is coming out of the calipers but the pedal is still somewhat soft. So im thinking the abs unit has to be bleed as well? will this help the firmness of the pedal at all or are they both separate.

Will having a non working abs unit do anything to the normal brakes use, will it effect the brakes use in anyway besides when the abs should come on.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Bleeding Brakes. Do you also have to bleed abs? (lak8)

i suggest taking it to a pro sound like you got air in the line are you using a vaccum bleeding system or old school gravity bleeding?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Bleeding Brakes. Do you also have to bleed abs? (lak8)

I don't think failing to bleed the ABS will make the pedal soft, but you should do it to protect those expensive ABS parts. I can't tell you the steps from memory, but it's actually quite easy since it uses the car's ABS pump to flush the fluid. For the spongy pedal, you need to start again and bleed each wheel. Make double sure that you're not letting the reservoir run low and that you're also closing the bleeder each time your helper lets the brake pedal go back up. So, it's (1) open bleeder (hose on fitting, other end immersed in brake fluid); (2) helper depresses pedal to the floor; (3) you closer bleeder; (4) helper SLOWLY lets pedal return to top. Repeat until clean fluid comes through the bleeder. This is not hard, but it does require some patience and a lot of people don't do it right.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Bleeding Brakes. Do you also have to bleed abs? (johncdoyle)

is your pedal still sinking after bleeding your brakes? You dont need to bleed the abs system..it sounds like you need a new master brake cylinder
Old 05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, i bleed the brakes for the 3rd time. No air at all both last times. Clean clear fluid with no air bubbles at all. He also bleed the brakes the correct way using the RR, LF, LR, RF as the manual says. This isnt the first time ive bleed brakes. Ive probably bleed around 10 cars in my life so im fairly sure i know what im doing. We (with help of friend) use the 2 man method (one pump/push and other open etc etc).

The brakes are getting better with driving, but still no were near as good as ill'd like. The master hold well and the pedal dosn't sink to the floor at all which are signs if it was going. I may still change the master tho since thats the only thing i could think of that might need changing since its probably the orignal one.

Modified by lak8 at 5:17 PM 5/2/2008