Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18C1 oil pressure hole broke in 3 pieces. Need help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B18C1 oil pressure hole broke in 3 pieces. Need help ASAP.

Well today i decided to install a oil pressure gauge. Took out the oem dummy pressure switch. Started threading in the one i got from ACE 3 way thing. It wont thread in. (correct thread pitches etc etc). Then i felt some metal pieces laying right under the oil pressure sensor hole. Found my problem why it would not thread in for like 10 min of trying. What is the proper way of fixing this issue. I know the engine needs to be pulled. I guess i will have to weld grow some material on the place were it snapped and drill/tap the proper hole for the sensor.
Ideas/hints.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18C1 oil pressure hole broke in 3 pieces. Need help ASAP.

if something wont screw in don't just force it... take it out and inspect the problem..

you can re-tap the hole and just use a larger size.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tam4511
if something wont screw in don't just force it... take it out and inspect the problem..

you can re-tap the hole and just use a larger size.
The thing is. It broke when i unscrewed it. I think you miss understood what i meant to say. Pretty frustrating.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have much of a option here. either weld it shut or get a new block
Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly what broke? the threads off of the old sender or part of the block? if it's the threads they make extractors to get those out, if the block broke, how in the hell did you manage that?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by komat
you dont have much of a option here. either weld it shut or get a new block
or drill it out, and tap it a size bigger, and use a size bigger fitting... pretty simple.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A picture of the damage would help. 94
Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
A picture of the damage would help. 94
I dont know if i can show a camera in there butt i will try.

I will weld the whole shut. Weld more material around it so it wont break of that easy and tap it.
Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the same boat. Except mine just broke one piece off the top. I've tried jb weld to no avail. Just breaks again when I start getting it tight. It threads in maybe 3 or 4 threads and the rest of the threads are exposed. Not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weld that solid and start from scratch or cut off the rest of the stub and tap in deeper?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did this way back when. weld that shut and get a sandwich adapter plate
Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

x2 for sandwich plate, looks like op has one already unless he painted the oem oil cooler but he never said what engine he had so who knows. Why do ppl think jb weld is the answer, that stuff is crap I won't even use it on cheap side projects we do at work and need an adhesive we don't even do anything car related smh.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
x2 for sandwich plate, looks like op has one already unless he painted the oem oil cooler but he never said what engine he had so who knows. Why do ppl think jb weld is the answer, that stuff is crap I won't even use it on cheap side projects we do at work and need an adhesive we don't even do anything car related smh.
Yea its a golden eagle sandwich adapter. B18a1. Sorry for not being more specific. And I just tried jb weld because I had it lying around and figured it was worth a shot. But I've gotta run my turbo oil line from the sandwich adapter so I'm not sure where the sensor can go...
Old 03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lolv8s
Yea its a golden eagle sandwich adapter. B18a1. Sorry for not being more specific. And I just tried jb weld because I had it lying around and figured it was worth a shot. But I've gotta run my turbo oil line from the sandwich adapter so I'm not sure where the sensor can go...
you don't have an aftermarket one? like an AEM, your GE only has 1 feed line female connector?. I mean you surly have an oil pressure gauge IN the car like your widebadnd and boost gauge.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it looks like you may have enough or almost thread there to put some loctite on a plug and thread it in that broken hole if welding it is not an option. maybe worst case you have to run a tap through it to extend the threads in a bit more. id be careful for shavings but that oil pretty much immediately goes to the filter.

what is you run a t fitting off that other 1/8th port? those golden eagle plates kinda suck imo ive had bad bad luck with the gaskets leaking
Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm ashamed to admit I've done this as well, although I just tightened up the sensor too far. That spot is pipe thread.
This is what I did, and it worked as long as the motor did(~17k a good portion at the race track).
I cleaned the area up thoroughly. Very carefully threaded in an brass extension into what was left(if I later had to change that sensor didn't want to be taking it out of the damaged threading). I then JB welded the broken piece back around the brass extension. Used a union at the end of the extension. Voila fixed. FYI-did it all with the engine still in the car.
Now I would say if you can't get yours to thread in at all, this will not work for you. GL
Old 04-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just gonna have the hole welded shut. Too much of it broke off. But on the plus side the sensor threads in directly into my sandwich adapter. So that's an easy fix. Can anyone tell me what that black sensor is for since I already have the picture on here?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by igorka_91
Well today i decided to install a oil pressure gauge. Took out the oem dummy pressure switch. Started threading in the one i got from ACE 3 way thing. It wont thread in. (correct thread pitches etc etc). Then i felt some metal pieces laying right under the oil pressure sensor hole. Found my problem why it would not thread in for like 10 min of trying. What is the proper way of fixing this issue. I know the engine needs to be pulled. I guess i will have to weld grow some material on the place were it snapped and drill/tap the proper hole for the sensor.
Ideas/hints.
Thanks
That's what you get for having the itchy fingers and can't leave stuff alone! Next time when you feel the itchy fingers coming.... save yourself from a possible future headache and grab some play dough and have fun with that instead.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Creator
I'm ashamed to admit I've done this as well, although I just tightened up the sensor too far. That spot is pipe thread.
This is what I did, and it worked as long as the motor did(~17k a good portion at the race track).
I cleaned the area up thoroughly. Very carefully threaded in an brass extension into what was left(if I later had to change that sensor didn't want to be taking it out of the damaged threading). I then JB welded the broken piece back around the brass extension. Used a union at the end of the extension. Voila fixed. FYI-did it all with the engine still in the car.
Now I would say if you can't get yours to thread in at all, this will not work for you. GL
it's not regular pipe thread, it's BSPT not npt, it looks like regular pipe thread, but there is a one thread per inch difference almost every Honda uses 1/8 bspt on the oil senders