B18B1 Camshaft + Cam gear UPGRADE? - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18B1 Camshaft + Cam gear UPGRADE?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B1 Camshaft + Cam gear UPGRADE?

After reading this thread, and I agree with both sides. The LSV's and the LS non-V's. I personally would have to say go with your budget. LSV requires a lot to work. Beef'd bottom end, and higher compression, while cams and a tune will net you a wide power band and a flat torque curve with the LS/B20. I have built a few motors in my life, and I personally like both. I dyno’d my current set up to a 153.9 @ 6700rpms/121wtq @ 5700 rpms. I don’t rev my engine to the moon, and with a GSR transmission, I am moving pretty good. In a DC chassis, full interior, it feels pretty good. Now if I was in a crx chassis……

if you just want to up your power, cams like the crower 403/404 and higher compression will yield great results. look up crower 404 cams on a stock B20.
dntnedvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
Honda-Tech Member

Hate to bring back from the dead but my B18B1 made 192whp with a P30 pistons, Delta custom grinds, valve train, p&p head, ITR manifold, 70mm TB, injectors, fpr, AEM fuel rail, intake, race header, 3" exhaust, hondata, golden eagle cam gears, flywheel/clutch, GSR tranny, full MSD ignition, and lots of other things I'm missing.... Car runs 12s on 23x8x13 MH slicks. Screw LSV setups.... Have yet to run into one I haven't walked yet. Also obviously the car has had extensive work done with certain parts I'm running.... I run a shop, but non vtec setups are monsters when you have the money.

Last edited by STLEFsi; 02-23-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Miss spell
STLEFsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #28
Honda-Tech Member

^ but how much was sunk into it for sub 200whp ? not how much you ordered it for... lets say some random person since you say you own a shop you must have gotten stuff cheap. I've got 3K into my 252/167 b20v in a time attack car tho driving in a straight lines is easy, all motor non-vtec is still not practical in terms of power to cost.
B_Swapped93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #29
Man U FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Swapped93 View Post
all motor non-vtec is still not practical in terms of power to cost.
^^This....

Nobody is going to argue that you can't make power on a non-vtec B series, the point we're making is that it is not at all cost-effective. You can port/polish that LS head until you're blue in the face and it still won't outperform a stock VTEC head...then add to that the nearly unlimited cam options for VTEC engines versus the handful for the LS.

Again, the argument is not that it can't make power, but given a fixed budget, a VTEC setup will always outpeform a non-vtec. The same thing can be said about D series vs B series...no matter how you slice it, the B series always has the power-to-cost advantage
Schister66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #30
Honda-Tech Member

Theres also the fact that nonvtec rockers flat out SUCK. being a floating arm, they have issues with very high revs above 8000k-9000rpm. Ive heard of people popping arms off at high revs. That's something you will never hear of on a vtec head.

Im stickin ls though. I have a ported head with goodies that cost me less than a vtec head, so im happy enough
m4xwellmurd3r is offline   Reply With Quote