Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

b18b cranks but wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 b18b cranks but wont start?

Hello, i have a b18b1 swapped into an EG civic. i recently had something fly into my engine, and snap my timing belt. this was my fault, i didnt have timing covers on.
Well i swapped a rebuilt b18b1 with about 15k on it. I had it running decent for about two days, Decided i was gonna fabricate a Stainless timing cover, i did it, painted it. When i tried to start the car, a small amount of fuel was leaking out of injector #3, got a whole new injector and O rings..Installed it...
When i went to go start my car to leave, the b*tch wouldn't start... i tried to test all the wires, they are good, grounds all have power.. so i moved to a new Diz cap and rotor, Tested my starter ( which is brand new),. Checked my timing, looks perfect.
I have tested for spark, its getting it. Checked for fuel, Its getting it.
The motor just cranks, wont pop off and start.
Need some help ASAP, This is my daily driver and im totally stupmped/ Pissed about this...

Last edited by Cadalack; 10-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18b cranks but wont start?

Originally Posted by Cadalack
Hello, i have a b18b1 swapped into an EG civic. i recently had something fly into my engine, and snap my timing belt. this was my fault, i didnt have timing covers on.
Well i swapped a rebuilt b18b1 with about 15k on it. I had it running great for about two days, Decided i was gonna fabricate a Stainless timing cover, i did it, painted it. When i tried to start the car, a small amount of fuel was leaking out of injector #3, got a whole new injector and O rings..Installed it...
When i went to go start my car to leave, the b*tch wouldn't start... i tried to test all the wires, they are good, grounds all have power.. so i moved to a new Diz cap and rotor, Tested my starter ( which is brand new),. Checked my timing, looks perfect.
I have tested for spark, its getting it. Checked for fuel, Its getting it.
The motor just cranks, wont pop off and start.
Need some help ASAP, This is my daily driver and im totally stupmped/ Pissed about this...
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I've had to deal with similar situations.

How did you check for spark and fuel? (important)

Have you done a compression test?

Everytime I come across the issue I always start with the basic...Fuel / Spark / Compression. I learned the hard way why having a compression tester is MUST-HAVE. I believe it pays for itself the first time you use it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ty for quick response, I had a ignition spark tester.. sparked even on the really far setting. Fuel was checked multiple ways,pulled n changed spark plugs after cranking, they were soaked with fuel... used starting fluid... as far as a compression test i havent done yet because i cant really get the motor that warm, i was thinking about trying a cold test tonight though..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We can rule fuel out. I'm not familiar with using a ignition spark tester to be honest. I use a 'ghetto' method for checking spark.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=74362

I basically take out the spark plugs, re-attach them to the spark plugs wires and have all 4 of them on top of my valve cover.

I then have someone crank the car while I look for sparks. The spark is easier to see if you do it at night or in a garage. If no one is available I'll sit the spark plugs on the valve cover facing me while I crank the car. You'll notice a pattern to the sparks.

Try to rule out spark first then borrow a compression tester from Autozone or buy one from Harbor Freight. You can use it when the car is cold.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ignition tester does basically that, You connect the spark plug wires to it and crank it. ive done both ways though. im gonna try a compression test tonight though, although i doubt the compression id off becuase of how new the motor is
Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you did the timing cover, did you touch the timing belt??
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dntnedvtec
when you did the timing cover, did you touch the timing belt??
Not at all, i removed the engine ground, made the cover, replaced the ground.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression test only hit 45 lbs on each cylinder, im guessing the kid who sold it too me f'D it up somehow, because its supposedly brand new.. Timing belt is perfect on it so idk how the compression would have been bad... pretty sure the kid i got it from screwed me over..havent taken it apart yet

Last edited by Cadalack; 10-15-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Trial User

Didn't want to start a new thread but my gsr cranks but won't start. Compression is good, has white/ blue spark, timming is perfect, it's getting fuel even sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it still doesn't do anything.. Please help
Old 03-27-2016, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cadalak you can try putting a cap full of oil down the spark plug holes, replace the plug and try to start. This is apparently a test of poor compression according to previous searches I have done!