Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18A1-how is the Intake manifold supposed to be connected??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18A1-how is the Intake manifold supposed to be connected??

Hey guys, I have a 1991 Acura Integra. The original engine we had in there had a blown head gasket & some other things. So we just replaced it with another engine. Everything went ok but, white smoke is coming out of the muffler. The compression gets out through the radiator( water is really hot, and it starts coming out through the radiator and reserve tank) What could this be?? How is the intake manifold supposed to connected. Can any one show me some pics. Please. Thanks alot..
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Default Re: B18A1-how is the Intake manifold supposed to be connected??

Ok so im kinda confused about your question. Are you asking about how to install a manifold or are you concerned about the coolant. There are a couple things i would look for.

1. Are you overheating? did you replace the water pump? does the water pump spin freely? Check your thermastat make sure it is still openning and then if you are asking how to install a manifold let me know
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
New User

Hey thanks for the reply. Well my question is how is the manifold suppose to be connected?? My friend told me that if white smoke was coming out of the exhaust, to make sure all the hoses where in the right place. The car turns on, but without the PCV valve connected to it. Once you connected it turns off.. So i dont know what to do here.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you're confused about the coolant AND vacuum hose installations, since you're having problems with both.

1.) The vacuum diagram is located under your hood. 'nuff said.

2.) The coolant hoses run counter-clockwise, meaning they all come from the intake manifold side & end up somewhere on the other side of the thermostat. Other than that, they can go in any fashion. If you're still having problems, post a picture of what you're confused on & we'll post one back.

3.) Make sure all the sensors are fully connected & your engine isn't throwing any codes. If it is, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes, then reconnect (make sure the engine is cold) and run the motor until the fan comes on. If you get any more codes during that time, just refer to a manual to identify your problem.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
New User

Ok well i guess i need to get a Manual because i dont have one. But ok this is how everything is connected. Also...On the black box behing the engine. How is that supposed to be connected, im not sure if that could be a problem? If you recall i mentioned that when you disconnect the PCV valve hose the car idles at 2500 and then goes to a 1000 and up and down. Also the radiator starts pushing pressure out of it. All the water starts pushing out like a sprinkler.. This car is frustrating me..
Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

* The imbalance of air intake with the PCV off is causing the engine to rev, then the electronic control kicks in @ 2500 to reduce fuel & match the throttle position.
* The black box I assume you're referring to is the EVAP canister if it's round & hooked on the firewall. If this is connected wrong it can also cause idle fluctuation; the vacuum wiring diagram on your hood should explain the correct way to route the hoses.
* If you're referring to the black box connected to the engine block, that's your PCV reserve tank, & should have a 1.5" elbow into the crankcase along with the PCV connection on top. It's critical that this is installed BEFORE the exhaust anchor in order to get a clean seal - if your exhaust anchor has been retrofitted elsewhere, try adding some washers to the bolts over the PCV reserve tank.
* The coolant system under normal conditions has about 5psi of pressure, so if you're spraying, it's usually just because you have a leak. Check the thermostat first, it's naturally problematic. Then make sure the fan comes on, & you're not overheating. Then - and this is absolutely necessary - make sure to bleed the coolant system (you'll need a manual for it). Expanding bubbles create high pressure & often cause all sorts of irregular side issues, including improper functions of the idle control valves, which do their calculations based on temperature readings.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

Originally Posted by 91acura4life
Ok well i guess i need to get a Manual because i dont have one.
You swapped a motor without a manual?
Huh.
The fact that you got it running is pretty impressive... The first 2 times I did a swap I used a manual & still didn't get it right.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 AM
New User

Well thanks.. I will need to check all this out and ill get back at you. I know that im going to get this car running. Hey also i have a last question. If you think none of this solves it. That i should get the Head compression cheked and make sure its not cracked or bent a little bit, and change the head gasket. My buddy told me it might be that nad calls himself a mechanic but i doubt him alot so what do you think? Well thanks again VegasInvasion.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 AM
New User

Originally Posted by VegasInvasion
You swapped a motor without a manual?
Huh.
The fact that you got it running is pretty impressive... The first 2 times I did a swap I used a manual & still didn't get it right.
Ha. Yea.. Not smart of me and my dad but next time we do this we should use one
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your showing no signs of coolant leaking under the hood other than the radiator and res bottle then your next step would be to get a coolant pressure tester and test your rad cap, if it tests fine and your car is smoking out the exhaust and its white you should try a cylinder leakdown tester, the cylinder leakdown will tell you if you have a bad head gasket!!

another quick cheater way to test for a really bad headgasket is to fill your radiator up all the way, pinch off the line going to the res. bottle and hold your hand over the filler on the radiator after the car runs for about 30sec pull your hand off and see if its blows coolant out, and make sure you do that with the engine cold
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
New User

Hey guys, i finally came to conclusion. There is water where the spark plugs go. So i guess that means i will have a blown head gasket soon if i dont replace it or maybe the head needs to get checked. So what do you all think?? Open it up and see?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

I second Clockwork's advice actually.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can some one post pics of where the PVC goes connected
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*PCV