Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

[97 integra] cleaned throttle body, now engine stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [97 integra] cleaned throttle body, now engine stalling out

Before everyone tells me I'm a dumbass, yes, I know I'm a dumbass.

My pedal sticking was driving me nuts, so I decided to clean my throttle body/butterfly valve the "fast and easy" way without taking it off. I sprayed what I thought wasn't a crazy amount of throttle body cleaner all around in there, let it soak, and wiped it out.

Started the engine after putting the boot back on and got this terrible low, fluctuating idle. I propped open the throttle for a couple hours in case there was still cleaner in there, then tried again a couple of hours later. Started even worse.

I let it sit overnight and tried again today, and it's just sputtering and wanting to stall. I haven't had this engine long, and I'm terrified I'm gonna **** things up worse than I already have.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: [97 integra] cleaned throttle body, now engine stalling out

I find just spraying a bit with it closed, wiping the plate, then opening it up and spraying+wiping the backside works just fine with zero issues ever. Can't say I've ever let it soak though.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
I find just spraying a bit with it closed, wiping the plate, then opening it up and spraying+wiping the backside works just fine with zero issues ever. Can't say I've ever let it soak though.
yeah, if I have to do it again that's what I'll do. hindsight is 20/20 I guess. haha
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check to see if the map sensor got some gunk in it or blocking the passage way.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably just pushed the gunk further down the line (probably gunked up your FITV and or IACV). This is why (as you just figured out, lol, sorry) it is always a better idea to remove the part you are cleaning and clean it separately.
If I were you, I would buy a throttle body gasket and maybe FITV/IACV gaskets as well. Then remove the throttle body, FITV and IACV. You may or may not even have a FITV, I am not positive.
Clean with simple green, soak/shake/scrub/rinse/repeat, as throttle body cleaner doesn't do ****.
Obviously, try not to get the TPS or MAP sensors wet....
Try to insure all the ports on the intake manifold/throttle body etc are free/clean and clear.
Reassemble with new gaskets.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
You probably just pushed the gunk further down the line (probably gunked up your FITV and or IACV). This is why (as you just figured out, lol, sorry) it is always a better idea to remove the part you are cleaning and clean it separately.
If I were you, I would buy a throttle body gasket and maybe FITV/IACV gaskets as well. Then remove the throttle body, FITV and IACV. You may or may not even have a FITV, I am not positive.
Clean with simple green, soak/shake/scrub/rinse/repeat, as throttle body cleaner doesn't do ****.
Obviously, try not to get the TPS or MAP sensors wet....
Try to insure all the ports on the intake manifold/throttle body etc are free/clean and clear.
Reassemble with new gaskets.
came here to say this basically lol. When you cut corners you run the chance of doing it right the second time around. Now if you do all this and its idling low, try adjusting the little idle screw on the TB and the Throttle Cable.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner. It took a couple of days to get decent weather to mess with it again, but I got her running.

I can't tell you exactly what it was that was wrong; I tried/checked on multiple things before trying to start it up again. I didn't have a CEL, so no codes. If anybody stumbles across this in the future, here's what I tried.
  • Loosened clamps on boot, made sure that it was pushed as far onto tb as possible, thoroughly tightened it up
  • Made sure line and wire clip to boot were secure
  • Tested voltage to TPS (was fine, but I also had it disconnected for a while, maybe it had moisture in it or something)
  • Reset ECU
On the bright side, I learned a valuable lesson about spraying things into your intake all ***** nilly. Don't. haha
1.5/10. scared the **** out of me, but my pedal is fixed, so it wasn't a total loss