Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Axle / driveshaft / balljoint replacement.....DIY ? ? Answers inside !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM
MikeTV

Default Axle / driveshaft / balljoint replacement.....DIY ? ? Answers inside !!

Well this one is for the archives for people that need to replace an axle in the future.

I just replaced my drivers side axle tonight so to answer the question "is it a DIY project ?" The asnwer is....yes it is ! While the entire project was time consuming (it took about 2 hrs in total), it was not difficult at all. i will not go over instructions, but I will provide you with links to instructions for the axle and balljoint replacment....

axle replacement: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416&page=1

balljoint replacement aid: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=887859

Those instructions are the exact instructions that I followed and by far the best and most thorough that I have come across.

<U>Common Q&A about axle replacement:</U>

<U>Q:</U> Can the axle be pulled out of the tranny without an axle puller ?

<U>A:</U> yes it can be. You can use a ball joint seperator fork ( autozone, $14.95) or a prybar (autozone $9.95). Simply wedge prybar between the axle and tranny, and pry away. if you chose the balljoint seperator, just stick the seperator between the axle and tranny, and give the end a few good whacks a hammer.

<U>Q:</U> how do I seperate the balljoint from the lower control arm (LCA) ?

<U>A: </U>there are many different ways to achieve this; I have found that the easiest way for me is to just use the above-mentioned ball joint seperator fork,, stick it right under the ball joint boot, and again, a few good whacks with the hammer. Another way that is very easy is the we-todd-did way, which can be found in the 2nd link above.

<U>Q:</U> Do I need special machinery (aka ball joint remover and ball joint presser) to remove the balljoint from the knuckle and press in a new ball joint ?

<U>A:</U> NO YOU DO NOT. A few good whacks with a BFH (Big ******* hammer) and the ball joint popped right out of the knuckle assembly for me. However, before you do this, make sure you remove the retainer clip from the ball joint or it wont go anywhere ! To put the new one in, simply rest the ball joint on top of the knuckle assembly, and whack it right in with your BFH !

<U>Q: </U>Can you replace an axle without seperating the balljoint ?

<U>A:</U> Apparently there is a way to do it, something about undoing the upper a-arm assembly, but I haven't used that method. Maybe someone can help me out here......

<U>Q:</U> How do I get the 32mm axle nut off of the hub ?

<U>A:</U> I used a 2 ft breaker bar with a 32 mm axle nut extension, set it in the axle nut, and jump on the breaker bar. it took about 20 seconds of jumping up and down on the breaker bar to come loose ( dont forget that the axle nut had a crush point.....flatten the crush point out so that it can be removed, and hammer it back in when you put it back on !)

<U>Q:</U> Where can I get a replacement axle ?

<U>A:</U> Autozont, Pepboys and Advanced auto carry new, and remanufactured axles ( the going rate is 60$ for the axle, plus a 60$ core charge, that you get back when you bring back your old axle). What ever you do, DO NOT GET AN AXLE FROM NAPA !!!! For one thing, Napa remanufactured axles have a tendancy rto blow up on you ( my mechanic has had 3 hondas in the past 3 months with blown axles from NAPA). Second, Their service sucks and they gave me the wrong axle ! I specifically asked for a 95 integra axle, get home and open the box up, and they give me a 97 civic axle ! What a bunch of f8cking fucktards !

<U>Conclusion:</U> This a very doable project for all you guys that dont want to spend a shitload of money on this. Just make sure you have a good ratchet, 17mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm extensions, 32mm axle nut extension, breaker bar, prybar and ball joint seperator fork. Get to work and you should be done in about 2 hrs! Later dudes !
Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 AM
MikeTV

Default Re: Axle / driveshaft / balljoint replacement.....DIY ? ? Answers inside !! (Eclipse spanker)

morning bump
Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Axle / driveshaft / balljoint replacement.....DIY ? ? Answers inside !! (Eclipse spanker)

hey...those links look familiar.

everyone bookmark these NOW! or...uh...you will forever have a lean mixture! mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:08 AM
MikeTV

Default Re: Axle / driveshaft / balljoint replacement.....DIY ? ? Answers inside !! (burnout289)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burnout289 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey...those links look familiar.

everyone bookmark these NOW! or...uh...you will forever have a lean mixture! mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yup..I figured I'd repost them on a seperate thread so peopl would have easier access to them........dont want people to go throught the same trouble I did
Old 01-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had trouble pushing the axle into the transmission? Cause my axle won't go in all the way....I'll hear a pop..Like it's suppose to lock in place...but won't go any further than that....I know when I removed the axle, it was butted straight against the transmission...but I can't seem to get it push in all the way...Any suggestions??