Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Automatic transmission will not shift to Park or other gears

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission will not shift to Park or other gears

after you've pulled the codes and noted them, and only after, try pulling the ecu fuse for 30 seconds and reinstalling. see how it runs after that
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got to spend a little time with the car.

I put a working bulb in the D4 position of my cluster, the light now works, but still does not flash while my ABS light is flashing codes. I tried pulling the ECU fuse anyway, gave ot a minute and reinstalled it. I started the car up and went through the gears, this time all the drive gears and neutral seemed to work fine. When I went back to neutral and then park, the car sounded no different as though it were still in a drive gear. It "shifted" into park with no grinding noise this time, though the front wheels still turn freely, telling me it is indeed still not in park.

I pulled the cover off the shift cable where it enters the transmission and it seems to be moving with the shifter as it should, with the shifter in the park position the arm on the end of the cable looks to be in between the 10 / 11 o' clock position. Does this seem right or could my cable still need a little adjusting?

It looks to me that any more mechanically moving parts that need to be troubleshot will require dropping the transmission, but I can handle that. Just point me in the right direction. Thank you for all the help!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you removed the ecu fuse and reinstalled and there was any change in the transmissions operation, IMO, it points to an issue with the tcm. the fact that you're not throwing any codes seems pretty indicative as well
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to say this is for sure my problem until the car is running correctly again, but sure enough, I go to pull out the tcm and there's about a quarter sized rust spot on the corner of the case. The board looks clean still, but it's fairly obvious water has been inside and it had been in long enough to cause rust.

I just ordered a new tcm, we'll see what happens when it gets here. Thanks again, whether this is the solution or not, I appreciate the tips.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

brand new tcm? i hope not
keep us posted, btw
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was having a similar issue with my 90 crx. for a while all of the gears are shifted up. for example lets say the layout is P/R/N/4D/3rd/2nd. My gears are R/N/4D/3rd/2nd/2nd. I just need to adjust that and really haven't looked how too. it hasn't been that big of an issue. but recently the gears were slipping, then it wouldn't shift to reverse, then quickly after i lost all gears except 2nd. so i've been driving around in second for a week if i needed it drive it at all. my gf let me use her 350z and her 250 ninja so i still had transport. anyhow earlier today i finally got underneath to see what was wrong and maybe change out the transmission fluid that looks and smell fine, granted its not the Honda specific fluid i haven't had any issues. while looking I noticed the Selector lever cable was pulled out of the transmission and was completely loose, not off since it was still connected to the transmission. the cover piece that holds it in place had the inner ring completely worn down, (red arrow) but it just slips right out if i try to shift down then back up. the cable looks just fine and if i hold it in place i could hit all my gear just fine.

at least i'm hoping this is just the only issue. I've already checked the shifter solenoid and its firing just fine. I was told it could be the transmission filter is full of crap and it might be but i cant find a tutorial on how to check or change it anywhere through google, youtube, or other forum sites. i also posted this on the crx community