Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Another rear hatch actuator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rear hatch actuator question

98 LS with the infamous electronic rear hatch actuator that broke and required turning the key to the right while also using your other hand to flip the hatch unlock to the left and lifting the hatch.

I ended up replacing the actuator with a generic door lock actuator because I was fiannly sick of it so now it works but there’s an issue. It’s always “on” or “hot” so you can unlock it whether or not the car is locked or unlocked. I assume the hatch is supposed to be inoperable with the car in the locked position. Do you guys think it’s the relay near the rear driver tail light? I hear it click and it works but I’m not sure if it is supposed to disable the unlock if the car is locked.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Another rear hatch actuator question

The rear latch actually has two actuators in it, and both of them are failure prone.

The first one is the latch actuator, this is the one you replaced. As the name implies, it just activates the latching mechanism to pop the trunk open.

The second and much less known one is the lock actuator, the locking component is essentially just a switch that the locking actuator toggles on and off, and this switches power to the latch actuator relay on and off depending on if the car is locked or unlocked. Theoretically you could replace this actuator with an aftermarket unit too, but space is much tighter so you'd need a pretty small actuator.

If your lock actuator is busted you can reach underneath the mechanism and toggle it locked and unlocked by hand. Unfortunately, I never got around to devising a cheap solution for the lock actuator when I still had my Integra, I always just left it in the locked state and used my aftermarket alarm system to pop the trunk.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for typing out a reply. I did some more googling and confirmed what you posted. There is another “control” that allows lock/unlock of the trunk depending on the car’s lock/unlock status. I found this thread here about using a bistable relay so I’m going to try that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tea...x.html%3famp=1

here’s the relay I’m going to use. “Ford Motor Co Fu5t-14b192-aa 5 Blade Relay” about $10 shipped on eBay. Will update on progress after I try the relay
Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed it with the relay. Here’s a pic https://ibb.co/28H0PXJ
Old 02-03-2019, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 18 years old mine is still working perfectly, counting my blessings, I hope it continues to work as I hate having stuff on the car that malfunctions. My car was rustproofed from Honda , I wonder if that has helped to protect the electronics in the hatch ?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegmon

Fixed it with the relay. Here’s a pic https://ibb.co/28H0PXJ
Nice!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
At 18 years old mine is still working perfectly, counting my blessings, I hope it continues to work as I hate having stuff on the car that malfunctions. My car was rustproofed from Honda , I wonder if that has helped to protect the electronics in the hatch ?
probably just luck. These parts are just bad design with too many moving parts. Little plastic gears and tiny electric motors are just asking for trouble. Had to replace my antenna too with an aftermarket retractable one.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

My GSR dos this I just thought you had to turn the key and lever at the same time, I like it cause cops always pull me over to pop my hood and search the car for no reason at all but can never get the hatch to open lol im like idk doesn't open lol