Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/advantages-gsr-over-ls-rs-besides-vtec-2234373/)

coltsrock 02-25-2008 08:10 AM

Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC???

Well i know the main difference between the GSR and the RS/Ls is no VTEC but i have heard you can use kits to add VTEC, so is there any major advantages of the B18C1 over the B18B1?

VTEC_PRODUCTION 02-25-2008 08:45 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (coltsrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coltsrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i know the main difference between the GSR and the RS/Ls is no VTEC but i have heard you can use kits to add VTEC, so is there any major advantages of the B18C1 over the B18B1?</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm torque, solid bottom end if you dont change redline, doesnt burn oil like b18c, MPG, cheaper to replace/fix, lots of stuff man. its a great engine and it doesnt require premium gas to run properly(like how stock spec says it should run)

be18see1 02-25-2008 10:06 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (VTEC_PRODUCTION)

werd. i swapped my b18c1 into 93 da, and sometimes i miss the b18a. if you like your power in the bottom end, like around the 4k range, then go with the ls. i still havent adjusted to the high revving screamer. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif i think it just needs a good tune..or maybe some boooost!

B serious 02-25-2008 10:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC_PRODUCTION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

umm torque, solid bottom end if you dont change redline, doesnt burn oil like b18c, MPG, cheaper to replace/fix, lots of stuff man. its a great engine and it doesnt require premium gas to run properly(like how stock spec says it should run)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does the GSR have a bottom end made from jello? The LS is the only one with a solid bottom end? It's only an advantage if only ONE unit has a feature. Not if both do.

Cheaper to fix? Why?

Cheaper to repalace? Yes....but you're still buying a 140hp motor. So the cost to catch up in terms of power is greater.

It doesn't require premium because it only makes 140hp. Once you put a VTEC head on, turbo it, or raise compression it to make any power, you will have to use premium. There is a different rod/stroke ratio for the B18B vs. The B18C. That's why it makes more torque. But that's also the issue if you add a VTEC head and rev it out to make power.

MPG for GS: 25-31
MPG for GSR: 25-31

The GSR's advantages include:
-More solid engine with better a better oiling system.
-Earlier models had bigger swaybars than the earlier LS/GS/RS. The swaybar sizes all became the same (for non ITRs) in 98, IIRC.
-Better resale value
-No need for additional work to install VTEC...since it's allready there.
-You have a FACTORY assembled engine with VTEC.
-Shorter stroke. More RPM potential.
-Stronger internals
-Better trans. ratios (though they still suck real bad).
-Better interior equipment (small things)
-Strut tower bar

The B18C makes great low end. The gear ratios are also lower...which magnifies the advantage. The B18B makes more low end...but the gear ratios are higher.

So the low end difference is negligible...or the GSR still has the advantage.

The only advantage to buying an LS/GS is the price difference.

be18see1 02-25-2008 10:08 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (B serious)

i dont think that its power that determines the octane of fuel required, but the compression ratio. i know you probably know what you meant, but we dont need anyone misled here. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

B serious 02-25-2008 10:09 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (be18see1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by be18see1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think that its power that determines the octane of fuel required, but the compression ratio. i know you probably know what you meant, but we dont need anyone misled here. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i know. But they are related. I was just implying a relation.

But you're right, I guess. The compression is what ultimately determines the requirement for more octane. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/embeer.gif

VTEC_PRODUCTION 02-25-2008 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does the GSR have a bottom end made from jello? The LS is the only one with a solid bottom end? It's only an advantage if only ONE unit has a feature. Not if both do.

Cheaper to fix? Why?

Cheaper to repalace? Yes....but you're still buying a 140hp motor. So the cost to catch up in terms of power is greater.

It doesn't require premium because it only makes 140hp. Once you put a VTEC head on, turbo it, or raise compression it to make any power, you will have to use premium. There is a different rod/stroke ratio for the B18B vs. The B18C. That's why it makes more torque. But that's also the issue if you add a VTEC head and rev it out to make power.

MPG for GS: 25-31
MPG for GSR: 25-31

The GSR's advantages include:
-More solid engine with better a better oiling system.
-Earlier models had bigger swaybars than the earlier LS/GS/RS. The swaybar sizes all became the same (for non ITRs) in 98, IIRC.
-Better resale value
-No need for additional work to install VTEC...since it's allready there.
-You have a FACTORY assembled engine with VTEC.
-Shorter stroke. More RPM potential.
-Stronger internals
-Better trans. ratios (though they still suck real bad).
-Better interior equipment (small things)
-Strut tower bar

The B18C makes great low end. The gear ratios are also lower...which magnifies the advantage. The B18B makes more low end...but the gear ratios are higher.

So the low end difference is negligible...or the GSR still has the advantage.

The only advantage to buying an LS/GS is the price difference.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow calm down there mr. tough guy

B serious 02-25-2008 10:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC_PRODUCTION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow calm down there mr. tough guy</TD></TR></TABLE>

??? when was I being tough?

I stated facts. Apparently, stating facts on the internet makes you tough. In that case, I'm chuck freaking norris.

VTEC_PRODUCTION 02-25-2008 10:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I stated facts. Apparently, stating facts on the internet makes you tough. In that case, I'm chuck freaking norris.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cocky too

B serious 02-25-2008 10:37 AM

cocky too</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...yeah. I'm cocky and a tough guy because you posted wrong info and I corrected you?

Cmon brozef. Dont throw a burrito out your window.

jomama 02-25-2008 10:41 AM

I stated facts. Apparently, stating facts on the internet makes you tough. In that case, I'm chuck freaking norris.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who called for me?

http://khailee.info/blog-images/2d13...ris_thumb5.jpg

seriously, no toughness here in this thread https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

B serious 02-25-2008 10:44 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (jomama)

^^ dont post my pics without permission. I will kung fu your ass.

Dogginator 02-25-2008 11:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only advantage to buying an LS/GS is the price difference.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

tucker8235 02-25-2008 11:46 AM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (coltsrock)

You can't just add vtec to a b18b and equal the b18c1. The GSR engine flow is much better, has higher compression therefore more power (plus premium fuel) higher redline, shorter geared transmission, comes stock with a front strut bar, stock with tweeters in door panels, etc. I started out with an LS and ended up with a GSR. The GSR is a fair amount faster and the engine is enjoyable to listen to. Stock to stock the GSR is definitely a lot more fun to drive.

B serious 02-25-2008 11:49 AM

damn...everyone better stop being so tough and cocky.

jomama 02-25-2008 11:53 AM

Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn...everyone better stop being so tough and cocky. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ dont post my pics without permission. I will kung fu your ass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

coltsrock 02-25-2008 12:53 PM

well GSR is sounding a lot better than the LS

Btw when do u get out of trial???

95 integra 02-25-2008 01:13 PM

Re: (coltsrock)

On top of the above mentioned facts, the GSR block has webbing which makes the block itself stronger for the higher rpm abuse. Not to mention the torque of the gsr is actually slightly higher then that of a LS....and that it has more torque lower in the rpm band (oh yes, thank that vtec for having smaller cam lobes which are better for low end power and then big cam lobes which are better for top end power...that coupled with the dual runner intake....).

Either way, lets assume you arent talking about the motor though. The GSR has a front strut bar, larger rear sway (on the 94-97s), tweeters in the door, factory 15" wheels (LSs come with a variety, but are generally not as nice), GSRs have the powersteering cooler (oil cooler and knock sensor too)...Im sure I missed a few things, but those should cover most of it.

thewrai6th 02-25-2008 01:42 PM

Re: (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> GSRs have the powersteering cooler (oil cooler </TD></TR></TABLE>
Huh? where would this powersteering cooler and oil cooler be located?

401tuner 02-25-2008 02:52 PM

Re: (thewrai6th)

honestly people who are conserned about having to use premium gas should think twice about it. Because in the end your only spending a few bucks extra than you would if you were using regular gas. lets just say 87 is like $3.10 and 93 is $3.31. (Just random numbers that seemed correct) 9 gallons of 87 would end up being about $27.90 , and 9 gallons of premium ends up being $29.79. So i mean an extra 3 bucks! Its really not as much as people think.

95 integra 02-25-2008 03:09 PM

Re: (thewrai6th)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thewrai6th &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Huh? where would this powersteering cooler and oil cooler be located?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil cooler is a little pos unit that your oil filter attaches to and the ps cooler is wedged between the radiator and ac cond.

VTECth1s 02-25-2008 04:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ dont post my pics without permission. I will kung fukk your ass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What? chuck is homo?...jk

GSR= VTEC POWA!!!...OoooooooMmm WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
B18(non-vtec)= NO POWA!!!...WoOoOooooomp....

In terms of stock vs. stock of course. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

turboteggsr 02-25-2008 04:18 PM

Re: Advantages of GSR over Ls/Rs besides VTEC??? (VTECth1s)

Some simple things are:

Gsr's have a main cap girdle that the ls's dont. B18C1's have oil piston squirters. B18C1's also have tri-metal bearings where ls are a two layer but if you get acl ls bearings they convert to a tri metal or 3 layer. B18C1's use a larger 9mm rod bolt compared to the ls 8mm but if you ls/vtec you'll be changing to arp's anyways. B18C1's use a different forged steel for the connecting rods, which is a High Chromium High Carbon Forged Steel connecting rod.

coltsrock 02-25-2008 04:44 PM

so it looks like my search for a c car will be for a Teggy GSR? Any specific years?

turboteggsr 02-25-2008 04:50 PM

Re: (coltsrock)

whatever you can afford.