Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

99 GSR bogging at high rpms

Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 99 GSR bogging at high rpms

HT I need some help,

I have a 99 GSR that's having a bit of an issue. For whatever reason, in fourth gear at around 6.5-7K and at WOT, it bogs and stutters as if it was hitting the rev limiter. I specified fourth gear because 1st-3rd gave me no issue. I've never had this issue with any of my other VTEC motors and I'm stuck as to why.

I have a CEL currently for a leak in the fuel evap system, but I don't think that would cause this "bogging" issue, as my last GSR swap had a CEL for no 02 sensor (open header on obd2) ; I engaged VTEC and revved to 8k with no issues. My solenoid is leaking oil, so maybe there's not enough oil pressure at higher RPMs? I should also note that I hear VTEC engage and the butterflies open, it just feels like it's limiting itself.

I'm partly convinced that something in my ignition system may be the culprit cause I've read the VTEC usually won't engage when you have oil issues. I'm going to buy a new oil pressure switch this weekend and replace that, along with the solenoid gasket (to fix the oil leak) and see if that changes anything. Because of my work schedule, I don't have the time to jack my car up and play with multimeters and voltmeters, so I kind of need to track what the issue is so I can buy the part(s) and have it replaced swiftly.

But what do you guys think, anybody ever has this kind of issue before? If so, what turned out to be the culprit?

Last edited by lxrd_vtec; 12-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 99 GSR bogging at high rpms

that is often caused by an ignition system problem, have you checked your sparkplugs lately ? The gap could be out of spec or they could be oil soaked. The VTEC switch could also be a culprit but hard to diagnose without testing it or knowing for sure. In 4th gear you are under more steady state load and perhaps why the ignition issue seems more plausible. Ignition issues could be from spark plugs, wires, distributor, coil, rotor etc. but I would start with the plugs first.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
that is often caused by an ignition system problem, have you checked your sparkplugs lately ? The gap could be out of spec or they could be oil soaked. The VTEC switch could also be a culprit but hard to diagnose without testing it or knowing for sure. In 4th gear you are under more steady state load and perhaps why the ignition issue seems more plausible. Ignition issues could be from spark plugs, wires, distributor, coil, rotor etc. but I would start with the plugs first.
I replaced the plugs about two months ago , but that's it , so maybe I should do a full tune up and see if it improves . I did a little pull on my way home and past 6.5k it feels like it loses a bit of power.

Hopefully I can get some wrench time this weekend so I can provide an update. My mechanic is on vacation for the upcoming holiday so I'm on my own for now.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lxrd_vtec
HT I need some help,

I have a 99 GSR that's having a bit of an issue. For whatever reason, in fourth gear at around 6.5-7K and at WOT, it bogs and stutters as if it was hitting the rev limiter. I specified fourth gear because 1st-3rd gave me no issue. I've never had this issue with any of my other VTEC motors and I'm stuck as to why.

I have a CEL currently for a leak in the fuel evap system, but I don't think that would cause this "bogging" issue, as my last GSR swap had a CEL for no 02 sensor (open header on obd2) ; I engaged VTEC and revved to 8k with no issues. My solenoid is leaking oil, so maybe there's not enough oil pressure at higher RPMs? I should also note that I hear VTEC engage and the butterflies open, it just feels like it's limiting itself.

I'm partly convinced that something in my ignition system may be the culprit cause I've read the VTEC usually won't engage when you have oil issues. I'm going to buy a new oil pressure switch this weekend and replace that, along with the solenoid gasket (to fix the oil leak) and see if that changes anything. Because of my work schedule, I don't have the time to jack my car up and play with multimeters and voltmeters, so I kind of need to track what the issue is so I can buy the part(s) and have it replaced swiftly.

But what do you guys think, anybody ever has this kind of issue before? If so, what turned out to be the culprit?
hey. Do a quick check on the oil level. Just make sure it is not low.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fr0ggyFr0g

hey. Do a quick check on the oil level. Just make sure it is not low.
Not sure if it's the cause of my "bogging" issue, but I was indeed low on oil. So low that the oil light came on, so I guess this solenoid leak is bigger than I expected, as I just got an oil change two weeks ago. Gonna drain/refill it once I replace the solenoid gasket on Friday and see if the problem persists.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lxrd_vtec
Not sure if it's the cause of my "bogging" issue, but I was indeed low on oil. So low that the oil light came on, so I guess this solenoid leak is bigger than I expected, as I just got an oil change two weeks ago. Gonna drain/refill it once I replace the solenoid gasket on Friday and see if the problem persists.
it’s likely the cause. 😉 anytime VTEC ever engages like that ..... 1. Oil level
2. Something else lol
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update just in case anyone comes across a similar situation: it turned out to be something within my ignition system. I did a full tune up recently and even with the leaking solenoid, I don't have the bogging issue anymore. I can also feel the car carrying more of its power into the upper RPM range. I think the problem was my spark plugs The first time I used NGK V-Power ; switched to NGK Iridiums and, even with Duralast wires, it feels a lot better now.