Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

98 integra rs engine keeps dying.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 integra rs engine keeps dying.

hello i have a 98 integra rs b18b1 automatic. the current problem im having is it keeps dying my mechanic told me it was the alternator so i bought a new duralast one. then he said it was my eld that was blown. so i got a junkyard fuse box. it started and ran for a little while so i decided to go to taco bell i got my food and when i drove home and parked it i started rolling my windows up and the rpms dropped from 1 to 0 and the lights went dim. and so did the clock. then i shut it off. tried to start it back up and the battery was dead. its been sitting for anout 2 weeks since that happend. i need my car for work. can someone help me?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 98 integra rs engine keeps dying.

alt could be bad, should have tested before installing.
afaik rockauto doesnt even sell duralast, not a good sign.
get a denso, good quality made in japan parts. costs a
little more but worth it.
find a mechanic that knows all this.
more food for thought when other stuff breaks:

Starting Problems

a spare coil and icm is mandatory imho, definitely the weak links.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...civic-3114911/
Old 02-03-2017, 04:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98 integra rs engine keeps dying.

Originally Posted by Kendal Harless
hello i have a 98 integra rs b18b1 automatic. the current problem im having is it keeps dying my mechanic told me it was the alternator so i bought a new duralast one. then he said it was my eld that was blown. so i got a junkyard fuse box. it started and ran for a little while so i decided to go to taco bell i got my food and when i drove home and parked it i started rolling my windows up and the rpms dropped from 1 to 0 and the lights went dim. and so did the clock. then i shut it off. tried to start it back up and the battery was dead. its been sitting for anout 2 weeks since that happend. i need my car for work. can someone help me?
If you already replaced the alternator and your battery is in good condition and the fuse box has been replaced look to your ECU as being the culprit. There is a pin that controls alternator charging, pin 19 of your A connector on the ecu it's "alternator control". There is a sense wire going into the ecu (pin 17 C connector, Alt F SIG.) that can see the current available voltage, it should be 13-14v with vehicle running, when the voltage drops below the range it makes the alternator charge the battery. So you want to look online for obd2a ECU pinout for Civic or Integra same pinout, trace the pin 19 of A connector and 17 of C connector from ECU to the alternator and measure for continuity with a multimeter. If the wiring checks out fine and there is nothing wrong with the connectors on the ecu or alternator then replace the ecu.

I have included a picture of the wiring diagram, if you have any issues don't hesitate to pm me regarding it.

Last edited by m90polk1; 02-03-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Wrong pic