Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

96 Integra real wheels partially stuck after e-brake use, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Integra rear wheels partially stuck after e-brake use, help!

Hello friends, my car was parked uphill with emergency parking brake on and with front end lifted up on jack stands and rear wheels choked, for nearly two weeks. After I put the car down I noticed that the real wheels were partially stuck such that the car would only roll very, very slowly downhill on neutral unlike in the past. I wonder what the problem could be, if the cable mechanism could be stuck at the wheel end. I am not very mechanically inclined but can follow instructions and have the tools. Can someone please help and walk me through a solution? I'll be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aravind; 01-30-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Typo on the title, "rear" not "real"
Old 01-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 96 Integra real wheels partially stuck after e-brake use, help!

How do your rotors look?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
How do your rotors look?
The rotors look OK but I haven't measured them but will try to tomorrow; I wonder what the thickness I should expect. Because the problem occurred just after I brought the front end down from the jack stands, it feels like the rotors wouldn't be an issue, not sure. I wish I knew the mechanism how the e-brakes connect to the calipers so that I can lubricate the parts and see what happens. Any pictures or descriptions, or any thoughts on this issue would be greatly welcome!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On second thought, it can't really be the e-brake cable connections at the caliper end because it would be too much of a coincidence that both wheels are equally difficult to rotate by hand with the rear off the ground. Today is a warm enough day for me to attempt to work on it if I get some ideas!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this happen once on a EK civic i had, I'd say take the calipers off and inspect the piston. It might be corroded or something and not allowing it to fully "release". I would suggest to take everything apart and inspect pistons for any burrs etc and remove any obstructions (sandpaper saved me), replace any seals, bleed your brakes and you'll be good. One thing you'll notice is when you and come to a stop...your wheel nuts will be cooking!!
Good luck
Old 01-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your response, F23Power. Yes, I just might have to try this even though I have never done it before and I will have to research it. But, don't you think its too much of a coincidence that this has happened to both rear wheels at the same time? Could something else is the cause?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aravind
Thank you for your response, F23Power. Yes, I just might have to try this even though I have never done it before and I will have to research it. But, don't you think its too much of a coincidence that this has happened to both rear wheels at the same time? Could something else is the cause?
I must admit it sounds a little weird that both wheels are "stuck". But if it was me I would just take the calipers off and see if problem goes away. If it does then the calipers are definitely the culprit. There is a thread somewhere here on how to recondition the rear calipers etc..try and search it and use it as a reference. IIRC that thread has pics too. Good luck
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

If both wheels are stuck it's likely the ebrake cable mechanism. Probably sticking and in need of lube.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F23Power
I must admit it sounds a little weird that both wheels are "stuck". But if it was me I would just take the calipers off and see if problem goes away. If it does then the calipers are definitely the culprit. There is a thread somewhere here on how to recondition the rear calipers etc..try and search it and use it as a reference. IIRC that thread has pics too. Good luck
Now I get what you mean. If I take the calipers out and the hub can be spun freely, then the calipers/pistons are definitely the problem! Unless, of course, the e-brake also works via the calipers, I deduce. I have read that when it comes to rear brakes, there are two different mechanisms possible, one where the e-brake works independently of the calipers via separate set of shoes and the other through the calipers themselves; I wonder what my GSR uses. If its the former, a free spinning wheel after caliper removal would preclude e-brake as the cause of the problem, and if its the latter we still may not know for sure. Either way, I'll definitely know something more than I do now, if I tried your suggestion; but I have to wait till the weather gets better since I have to work outside! Caoboy's suggestion appears to be another excellent suggestion. Thank you for educating me!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
If both wheels are stuck it's likely the ebrake cable mechanism. Probably sticking and in need of lube.
Thanks for your thoughts! Can you please point me towards some information as to how I can check and lube the parking brake cables on a Integra GSR ('96)? I'll have to try this as well as F23Power's suggestions, once the deep freeze is over with. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your thoughts! Can you please point me towards some information as to how I can check and lube the parking brake cables on a Integra GSR ('96)? I'll have to try this as well as F23Power's suggestions, once the deep freeze is over with. Thanks again.
I didn't even ask if you have disc brakes on the rear.. Lol..but yes like he said also..im also leaning towards the E-Brake. If its discs the E-brake works through the calipers also..no seperate shoes. If its drum then you have to remove the drum and inspect as well. Wouldn't hurt to disassemble and lube everything that needs to be lubed. Once you in there you'll see what needs lube etc. Replace shoes or pads and check inside drum if you indeed have drums..it should have a rather smooth surface. If its discs..also inspect them. A simple google search will point you on the right directions as far as removal and fitment goes.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't even ask if you have disc brakes on the rear.. Lol..but yes like he said also..im also leaning towards the E-Brake. If its discs the E-brake works through the calipers also..no seperate shoes. If its drum then you have to remove the drum and inspect as well. Wouldn't hurt to disassemble and lube everything that needs to be lubed. Once you in there you'll see what needs lube etc. Replace shoes or pads and check inside drum if you indeed have drums..it should have a rather smooth surface. If its discs..also inspect them. A simple google search will point you on the right directions as far as removal and fitment goes.
Its my fault that I didn't mention it, they are discs. Thanks to you, now I know that no shoes are involved. It may take a couple of days, maybe even a little more, but I'll open the calipers and take a look and update for sure. I have experience in replacing front brakes and rotors on 05 Hyundai Elantra, but none on the rear, but I'll look into finding some info on how they may look on my Integra GSR to avoid surprises; if you, or anyone else, have a favorite link that may be helpful, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its my fault that I didn't mention it, they are discs. Thanks to you, now I know that no shoes are involved. It may take a couple of days, maybe even a little more, but I'll open the calipers and take a look and update for sure. I have experience in replacing front brakes and rotors on 05 Hyundai Elantra, but none on the rear, but I'll look into finding some info on how they may look on my Integra GSR to avoid surprises; if you, or anyone else, have a favorite link that may be helpful, please let me know. Thanks!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...o24hE50LLCAGsm

There you go!! You don't have to rebuild if you dont need or want. But it gives you an idea of how it is! Good luck
Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

You shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what type of brakes are on the vehicle. Your posts are calling for him to shotgun diagnose the car, which usually ends up with spending money and not fixing the problem.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what type of brakes are on the vehicle. Your posts are calling for him to shotgun diagnose the car, which usually ends up with spending money and not fixing the problem.
My advice is from previous experiences with both brake systems..i don't see any wrong advice on the matter..if a simple caliper check is bad advice then i don't know nothing anymore. Funny is nobody has answers, but as soon as someone actually helps..everybody is all of a sudden an expert. HT really sucks..always sucked anyways.. Just because of guys like you. Peace out
Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Buy a cable luber. Motorcycle shops carry them, very handy tool to have. Once you have that, take off the center console exposing the ebrake mechanism and the lines. Unhook them from both ends and attach the lube tool, start spraying. Work the cables back and forth until they're smooth feeling, then reattach them and see how the parking brake feels.

Second, when was the last time your brake fluid was changed?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water over time. Water freezes, and it's possible that your lines are freezing.

But you said only the rears are sticking which makes me want to rule out water in the lines and that it's the ebrake cable sticking.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

My advice is from previous experiences with both brake systems..i don't see any wrong advice on the matter..if a simple caliper check is bad advice then i don't know nothing anymore. Funny is nobody has answers, but as soon as someone actually helps..everybody is all of a sudden an expert. HT really sucks..always sucked anyways.. Just because of guys like you. Peace out
Calipers don't magically go bad at the same time. There is only one thing that can affect both rear brakes at the same time, that is the parking brake mechanism.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Calipers don't magically go bad at the same time. There is only one thing that can affect both rear brakes at the same time, that is the parking brake mechanism.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Parking brake mechanism is part of the rear caliper assembly. Although unlikely both rear calipers will do the same thing..but not impossible. But you are right..can be the cables are simply stuck.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

investigate them and lube them, cables too.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Check your E brake cable!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone. Yes, I guess I should check the e-cable first, whether its stuck or not, although I am able to work the parking brake and immobilize the car except when when I disengage the brake it still remains partially stuck. I'm sure its relatively simple for most in this forum to run with all this information that you all have provided, and I'm going to try. I now understand that I must look at both ends of the e-cable and do the needful, including lubing the cable.

F23Power and Caoboy, both of you have been very informative, and most of all, confidence inspiring. I don't think I have ever changed the brake fluid and I realize I need to do it. Now I also understand that its possible to lube the cable as a DIY project. Temperatures have been well below freezing and promises to remain so until Sunday and for all I know the cable might unfreeze itself by then although unlikely since the front brakes are working and the problem seems to be only with the e-cable. All of you have enabled me to zoom in on to the most likely culprit, thanks.

I'll keep you all updated, although I might come up with more questions when I get hands on. Thanks again,everyone. Sorry for the typo on the title (rear, not real), just noticed it.

Last edited by aravind; 01-30-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: one typo, lubing, not living
Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll keep you all updated, although I might come up with more questions when I get hands on. Thanks again,everyone. Sorry for the typo on the title (rear, not real), just noticed it.
Hello friends, here's an update on the issue. I removed the brakes and calipers on both rears and found that the pistons on both sides were fully frozen (seized?); The pads were also ready for change, with only 25 and 15% remaining. I couldn't push the pistons in. So I found an inexpensive rear caliper/rotor/pads kit from AutoAnything for $193 which may not last very long and installed them, thanks to you all as to how.

Everything works well except one, the driver side emergency brake which doesn't work! When I engage the ebrake click by click, I can see the cable pull the lever rotating the spring and the center nut. I think this what it is supposed to do, but the wheel still spins without any difference from when the ebrake is not even engaged. Unless I'm wrong on how the mechanism is supposed to work. The passenger rear ebrake works. I have a video that I'll try to attach, I would very much appreciate some more of your time and input. As an aside, with one side of the ebrake engaged, the car still rolls on a 15 degree incline, is it normal? Oops, I couldn't upload the MP4 file, will try to convert to mov file and upload again.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello friends, here's an update on the issue. I removed the brakes and calipers on both rears and found that the pistons on both sides were fully frozen (seized?); The pads were also ready for change, with only 25 and 15% remaining. I couldn't push the pistons in. So I found an inexpensive rear caliper/rotor/pads kit from AutoAnything for $193 which may not last very long and installed them, thanks to you all as to how.

Everything works well except one, the driver side emergency brake which doesn't work! When I engage the ebrake click by click, I can see the cable pull the lever rotating the spring and the center nut. I think this what it is supposed to do, but the wheel still spins without any difference from when the ebrake is not even engaged. Unless I'm wrong on how the mechanism is supposed to work. The passenger rear ebrake works. I have a video that I'll try to attach, I would very much appreciate some more of your time and input. As an aside, with one side of the ebrake engaged, the car still rolls on a 15 degree incline, is it normal? Oops, I couldn't upload the MP4 file, will try to convert to mov file and upload again.
Just make sure the ebrake mechanism on the caliper itself is engaging. Maybe you have to adjust the cable so its tighter.. Just make sure both wheels spin free with ebrake off if you adjust the cable. And I'm glad you found the problem, atleast now you don't have stuck wheels.