Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

96 DB8 GSR overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 DB8 GSR overheating problems

Well it's summertime. I recently had ac reinstalled in my GSR due to the fact I hate the heat. Well, about a couple of months ago my GSR started to overheat. What I noticed was the fans weren't coming on at all when it was overheating. So, at first I thought it was the thermostat. Went to Autozone, bought a brand new Duralast thermostat. Changed it and didn't bleed the cooling system. About a week later driving about 50-60 miles it started to overheat. Thinking that the Duralast thermostat went out again, I exchanged it for another one. Samething. Exchanged it for another one. But this time when I installed it I finally bleed the system. (On a side note I have a 96 GSR and it doesn't have the bleeder valve where it sits on the side of the head) So I had to bleed the system the old way. Let the car run for about 20-30 mins before the fans started to kick on. After I installed the 3 Duralast thermostat. About 2 months later and samething, 50-60 miles driving with the ac on it started to overheat but the fans are still not turning on. I finally went online and bought a OEM Honda thermostat. Threw that sucker in and bleed the system. Well about 1 month later (which is today). On my way driving up to San Jose about 50-60 miles from where I live with the ac on it started to overheat but the fans were not turning on. Now I am stumped on what is wrong. (ohh and also even with the ac off the car will still overheat after I have turned off the ac).

When I bought the car about 6 months ago I was told it was a rebuild. But the person who rebuilt it didn't use all OEM honda stuff for the rebuild. Meaning no OEM head gasket, water pump and timing belt. Could it be the head gasket is going out? What I have noticed the car is losing raidator fluid. There is no smoke coming out of my tailpipe at all. In about month, I notice I have to add some raidator fluid. Could it be, thats what is causing my car to overheat and maybe with that leak its creating air pockets in the system? I know the only way to check is to do a Leak Down Test.

If anyone could give me some insight on what is wrong. PLease let me know. Thank you
Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 DB8 GSR overheating problems

Wow, 4 thermostats? The guy at Autozone probably hates you by now.
How much coolant do you add every time you replace the thermostat?
Overheating at high speed would happen when you're low on coolant.
You can also check if your thermostat got stuck closed by turning on the heater in your car. Shouldn't blow any heat then.
If your gasket is blown, you would either have white smoke out the pipe, bubbles in coolant or an oil milkshake.
I'm almost positive your coolant leaks somewhere underneath the intake manifold and that causes the engine to overheat.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First off the thermostat does not have any control over the rad fan, the rad fan is controlled by the ECT switch, both the rad fan and condenser fans should both come on when A/C is on, only the rad fan will turn on when ECT switch closes, [@ about 192 degrees F].

I would start by checking the ECT switch, you can unplug it and jump the two leads, [green and black] in the plug, rad fan should turn on, [ign. needs to be on].

The condenser fan is controlled by the ECU/ECM. 94

Last edited by fcm; 07-08-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
First off the thermostat does not have any control over the read fan, the rad fan is controlled by the ECT switch Both the rad fan and condenser fans should both come on when A/C is on, only the rad fan will turn on when ECT switch closes, [@ about 192 degrees F].

I would start by checking the ECT switch, you can unplug it and jump the two leads, [green and black] in the plug, rad fan should turn on, [ign. needs to be on].

The condenser fan is controlled by the ECU/ECM. 94
I actually did that trick. The radiator fan does turn on when I jump it. But you know is weird. Is that, whenever I rebleed the coolant system both fans will turn on when the ac is off. I know whenever you turn on the ac both fans will kick on.

Also what I have noticed is when I popped the radiator cap to look and see if I am low on coolant. There is a black residue around the top of the radiator and also inside the overflow resivor. Could it be my head gasket is gone or is starting to go out? I notice after about 1-2 months I have to add radiator fluid. It gets quite low. And I know for a fact its not any leaks at all.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you smell antifreeze when you open the hood, hot? You seem to not have an internal leak, no white smoke and no oil water mix. No wet carpet or under the carpet?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Drive 4 fun
Do you smell antifreeze when you open the hood, hot? You seem to not have an internal leak, no white smoke and no oil water mix. No wet carpet or under the carpet?

Nope none or the above things you mentioned. What I did right now was rebleed the coolant system andthe fans kicked on when the car reached normal operating temperature. Took it out for a drive and everything was good. Fans kicked on. What cause me to get air pockets in my cooling system and also losing radiator fluid?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I park on an incline, nose up so that the radiator cap is above the engine. Helps to bleed it. That said, it sounds like you are losing fluid. That means a leak into the engine, or outside. You seem to give evidence that neither is happening. No visible leak or antifreeze smell, and no white exhaust, or oil/water mix. Also I believe you are sure that you are not getting airbubbles into a full coolant system??? Still air in, headgasket leak, of air out to coolant, should push fluid out the overflow, and that should hit hot engine somewhere and give the hot antifreeze odor. I have smelled small leaks before I could hunt them down. Guess I will have to tune in and see what others think, and what you find.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get an H/C kit at your local auto parts store and check the coolant for hydrocarbons, if present, you have a HG problem. 94
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Get an H/C kit at your local auto parts store and check the coolant for hydrocarbons, if present, you have a HG problem. 94
Yah my good friend told me about that kit. That it tests for hydrocarbons in the radiator fluid. I bet that's what my problem is and why I am overheating sometimes. Also losing radiator fluid.

On a side note. I drove the car around town today with the ac on. It was about 70 degrees today. Nothing happened at all. I will buy the kit later tomorrow and get back to you guys with the results. Thx